User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  24
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone having problems with Error 2 messages on the 7D Mk 11.

Serial Truant....
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO it would be worth pointing out that yours is not an isolated case and that there are many references to the same problem on the NET. Canon should have designed their CF socket in such a way as it is impossible to bend the pins, from a quick google search it appears as though the design of the CF mechanism allows cards to be inserted incorrectly. If they still insist on payment then I'd be lodging a complaint with consumer affairs. This article describes how the 5DIII CF slot won't allow incorrect insertion of the card whereas the 7DII slot will. http://www.the-digital-picture.com/N...spx?News=13892
    Last edited by phild; 29-03-2015 at 10:49am.

Loves The Wildlife.
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank You Phil. Yes I told the Canon Serviceman on the phone and by email that I had found many references to the same problem on different Forums on line.
    I had all intentions of finding out more from Consumer Affairs as to what I can do, though was waiting for the reply to my email from Canon.
    And Thank You for that link as I never knew that and I appreciate you taking the time to let me know.

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Fishy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't get too frustrated MA. (I know I would) The wheels of industry turn slowly sometimes and maybe they don't have the part yet? I'm sure they are trying their best to fix and repair all things that come into their shop. As for paying for the repair that is another thing. Don't let them stand over you and next time tell them you will go to consumer affairs. That generally helps to put a rocket under them. As you have done nothing wrong in the use of the product, stick to your guns and give them both barrels. Look forward to hearing a positive result in due course. cheers Brian
    Cheers Brian.

Canon 7D Kit lenses EFS 18-55 IS EFS 55-250 IS EF28-90 Canon EF 2xll Extender Sigma DG150-500 OS Speedlight 420EX. 580EX

Loves The Wildlife.
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank You Brian.. I have just this minute got off the phone to Canon and getting ready to resend that email..
    The Gentleman I spoke to on the Phone was sorry but told me my email has been overlooked could I please send it again, he took my phone number and told me he will get back to me this afternoon.

- - - Updated - - -

WOW!! That was quick I have already got the reply from my email to Canon I also added that link above about the 7D MK11 CF Card Slot

Canon Reply: Thank You for your email, forwarding it to the workshop for review, will notify you once the feedback has been received..

And about time as it is five weeks tomorrow since it was send away to get fixed..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear about your problems, Mary Ann. I have the 7D11 but only use the SD cards in it at present. I am a bit disappointed that the battery life is shorter than I had expected!

Loves The Wildlife.
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Everyone..I have just got off the phone after a very long chat with the Serviceman from Canon and I was told once again that this problem does not get fixed under warranty.
    He went on to explain why as the centre pins are longer that the outside ones and the only way they could have got bent would be if someone put the card in on its side.
    As I know I did not do that as I could not get the card in the second time I used it, I asked him then why do Canon make a card slot like that in the 7D11, I dont know he replied.
    I said fine I do not have the money to get it repaired and if you wont fix it under warranty please send it back to me and I will be getting in touch with Consumer Affairs

Then things changed and he said well Mary-Anne in this case your camera will be fixed under warranty and if it ever comes in again with bent pins in the slot you will be charged.
    I Thanked him and asked if it is better if I dont take the memory cards out that way at least nothing will happen to the camera, he said you can but it will be a lot slower.
    Though with Easter later this week there is no way I will be getting that camera back for a while yet Will let you know when I get my camera back

- - - Updated - - -

Hi lenscap Yes I had only used the SD Card myself except for that one time when I used the CF Card.

About the Battery life Believe me it will get better my first time use of Battery #1 I only got 338 shots as I used the camera Flash a little to try it out .. Battery #2 .. 375 shots
    Next recharge #1 .. 513 shots .. #2 .. 682 shots, and the last recharge which was the 4th one Battery #1 took 735 shots so its getting better.
    Though looking on line when I first got my camera I found the most you can get from a recharge was 850 shots.

I have used my two LP-E6 batteries from my 5 year old 5D MK11 with only one bar left on each, on one I got 375shots and the other 515 shot sso that make me wonder if the LP-E6N is as good.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Anne View Post
    Hi Everyone..I have just got off the phone after a very long chat with the Serviceman from Canon and I was told once again that this problem does not get fixed under warranty.
    He went on to explain why as the centre pins are longer that the outside ones and the only way they could have got bent would be if someone put the card in on its side.
    As I know I did not do that as I could not get the card in the second time I used it, I asked him then why do Canon make a card slot like that in the 7D11, I dont know he replied.
    I said fine I do not have the money to get it repaired and if you wont fix it under warranty please send it back to me and I will be getting in touch with Consumer Affairs

Then things changed and he said well Mary-Anne in this case your camera will be fixed under warranty and if it ever comes in again with bent pins in the slot you will be charged.
    I Thanked him and asked if it is better if I dont take the memory cards out that way at least nothing will happen to the camera, he said you can but it will be a lot slower.
    Though with Easter later this week there is no way I will be getting that camera back for a while yet Will let you know when I get my camera back

- - - Updated - - -

Hi lenscap Yes I had only used the SD Card myself except for that one time when I used the CF Card.

About the Battery life Believe me it will get better my first time use of Battery #1 I only got 338 shots as I used the camera Flash a little to try it out .. Battery #2 .. 375 shots
    Next recharge #1 .. 513 shots .. #2 .. 682 shots, and the last recharge which was the 4th one Battery #1 took 735 shots so its getting better.
    Though looking on line when I first got my camera I found the most you can get from a recharge was 850 shots.

I have used my two LP-E6 batteries from my 5 year old 5D MK11 with only one bar left on each, on one I got 375shots and the other 515 shot sso that make me wonder if the LP-E6N is as good.
    Pity you have to almost threaten them to get a reasonable response. Nice to know though that now you are getting it fixed, under warranty.
    The age of entitlement isn't over, it's just over there where you can't get to it.
    When several possibilities exist, the simplest solution is the best.
    "There are no rules" Bruce Barnbaum, The art of Photography
    Graham

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Un-believa-BABBLE from that rep, M A.

Put it out there about the problem.

Am(still shaking my head!!).

PS: Know what? (Betcha do.) Go to consumer affairs anyway. Tell 'em the go.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Loves The Wildlife.
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Am I agree as I was taken by surprise I would have thought if Canon were told about that problem they would be happy to do something to fix it.
    Apparently not probably cost to many $$$ and I feel sorry for people who do buy the 7D MK11 and have the same thing happen to them with that CF card slot.
    Though if people can find things like that on the link up top you would think Canon would know about it.
    I don't think I will use the CF card again even if that part is replaced I will keep using he SD cards as I have not had a problem with the one I have been using.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply Mary Anne. I think I will take your advise and use only the SD from now on. As for the battery life I do hope it does improve with use.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was disappointed to hear about the problems that you have been having with your 7D II and about the issues that you have had with Canon.

I have a few friends that have bought the 7D II and have not had any issues yet, and hope that yours was an isolated case.

I would love to upgrade from the Mk I but have not been in a financial position to do so and while my old 7D is still working fine is harder to justify the update when I also have the 5D III.
    Steve

Equipment: A couple of Canons with some lenses and a heap of enthusiasm

Loves The Wildlife.
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank You Steve.. Luck of the draw I did not have a good year last year with new cameras, I think this will be the last one for me, so I hope nothing else goes wrong.
    I needed a new camera as my 40D is 6 years old and the 5D MK11 is five years old, both with high shutter counts, shame they dont last forever.
    If I had a later model I would not have bought this one, I wouldn't be upgrading if I had the 5D 111 either, it is a great camera from what I have heard.

Fishy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Mary Anne? I think it is time to put a rocket under Canon if you have not received your camera back yet. At least a phone call might do. cheers Brian PS Good luck

Loves The Wildlife.
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank You Brian. Have you got ESP or something
    Not long come back from Photo Continental and have picked up the 7D2, I put a SD card in it and went out and took a few pics of my Granddaughters Dog Mikey we are Dog sitting for a week
    It feels a little strange in my hand now as I have been using the the smaller Olympus E-M1 more lately though still using the the 5D2 occasionally for the Birds.
    It works well though I have dont think I will be using the CF card again..

Thank You Everyone for commenting and all the Help You have given me during these 7 weeks much appreciated

Fishy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great news cheers Brian

Loves The Wildlife.
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And Thank You Brian its really great to have that camera back at last..

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am so pleased that you have your camera back Mary Anne. I am really enjoying my new 7D MK II and hope that I don't any any problems like you have had. I have lost faith in Canon after the quote that I got to fix my original 7D - they said that the whole top section had to be replaced at a cost of nearly $500. The quote for the part was around $250 from memory and someone told me to check on Ebay and they were selling there for $50 - probably not Canon, but the same part. I decided not to go ahead with their quote as I found a local repairer who said they could do the job for around $200-$250 and told Canon to send the camera back to me. For this I was charged $50 for the quote and postage. When it arrived here, I decided for some reason to check it out again and it was working and has been working ever since, so apparently taking the top off and putting it back on did the trick. I could have just paid out nearly $500 for the same result.

Loves The Wildlife.
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank You Ann, yes its good to have my camera back, I never send my cameras to Canon for repairs they take too long I send them down to a repair shop in Sydney its cheaper and faster.
    Thats strange about your 7D though good. Glad to read you are enjoying your 7D MK11, I have not had much of a chance to try mine out on the Birds yet, maybe next week

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crafty1tutu View Post
    I am so pleased that you have your camera back Mary Anne. I am really enjoying my new 7D MK II and hope that I don't any any problems like you have had. I have lost faith in Canon after the quote that I got to fix my original 7D - they said that the whole top section had to be replaced at a cost of nearly $500. The quote for the part was around $250 from memory and someone told me to check on Ebay and they were selling there for $50 - probably not Canon, but the same part. I decided not to go ahead with their quote as I found a local repairer who said they could do the job for around $200-$250 and told Canon to send the camera back to me. For this I was charged $50 for the quote and postage. When it arrived here, I decided for some reason to check it out again and it was working and has been working ever since, so apparently taking the top off and putting it back on did the trick. I could have just paid out nearly $500 for the same result.
    To the everlasting shame of large organisations that are quite willing to take your money for a product that they then abscond quickly enough from warranting. I don't care if it's Canon or anyone else.

I am glad that it has worked out well for you - so far!

Am.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 18-04-2015 at 8:24pm.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12