Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  10

Thread: Best of collection

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best of collection

Do you keep a "best of collection" in either physical or digital format for when people ask to see "your best photos"?

Recently somebody I work with found my radio blog which has some photos on a location they were searching for, after some back and forwards discussion they asked if I had a "best of collection", while I am not really that active with photography any more (it is now more a by-product of my radio hobby) it did make me start to think about if this is something other people do? I am sure nobody wants to sit and look at 1000's of photos.
    I have recently put my own "best of collection" together online.

Thoughts? If you do this how do you pick what to add to it, do you then take some away or let it grow over time?

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I generally mark my photos with star ratings which gives me an indication of my best stuff. I've also started storing only my best single photos from each scenario in Flickr and then keeping the balance of my photos stored in Albums on Smugmug. The reason I separate them is so people don't have the option is view my crapper stuff that may be public on smugmug.

Yeah, I know, both my flickr and smugmug are in my signature but the people here know I am crap because of the photos I post up for feedback

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I printed a "Top Shots 2014" photo book last year which casually leave out on the coffee table so when friends come around they can browse through it and tell me how fantastic I am ! If they want a copy Ieven offer to signit for them .

On a serious note , thousands of photos on a hard drive that no one sees is of little use. One or two hung on the wall or in a book is much better . I use the rating system as well - the 5 stars go into the book , I might keep 4 stars on the hard drive , but beyond that they get deleted . Can't see the point in keeping lots of photo's I do think are very good.
    The name is Brad ......

OMD EM-1, OMD EM-5MkII, m.Zuiko 12-40mm Pro f2.8, m.Zuiko 40-150mm f2.8 Pro , m.Zuiko 60mm f2.8 Macro, m.Zuiko 17mm f1.8 , Lee Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a nice tablet and keep most of my better photos on it, divided into types like people, animals, insects etc.
    It's the easy way to show off your photos to interested parties.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "You're only as good as your last picture" (Marie Dressler).

Thus, no, I do not keep a "best collection", even though I still have (but don't maintain) a portfolio that contains pictures that I think represented my (old) work best. And of course, the most treasured images are printed and hung from the wall.
    Ciao, Joost

All feedback is highly appreciated!

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jev View Post
    Really? What's the thinking behind that then? Because I just took a really crappy shot of my computer screen to take into a meeting. Should I send it to the mods as evidence that my skill level needs down grading?
    My Flickr Site
    Instagram _alex_ham_

Gear - Canon 5D mkIII, 16-35 f2.8L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L IS, nifty 50, 75-300 f4-5.6. Sigma SD Quattro H, Sigma 35 mm Art, Sigma 85 mm Art, Canon G1X MkII, Panasonic Lumix DMC LX3, iPhone.

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess it also depends on what you are trying to portray. If you're a professional, I'd be inclined to only show my best stuff. Scott Kelby had a good perspective on the mistakes some amateurs make when displaying their photos. If you put up everything including your amazing stuff and very good stuff, people tend to think you're a good photographer with some amazing stuff. If you only put the amazing stuff up, then they think you're an amazing photographer. It may be a flawed perception but that is marketing, it's about showing your best. Companies don't market themselves with their not as good reference stories. They pick just the best and only display those.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jev View Post

Thus, no, I do not keep a "best collection", even though I still have (but don't maintain) a portfolio that contains pictures that I think represented my (old) work best. And of course, the most treasured images are printed and hung from the wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
    Really? What's the thinking behind that then? Because I just took a really crappy shot of my computer screen to take into a meeting. Should I send it to the mods as evidence that my skill level needs down grading?
    Hamster, if I may interpret this...

Jev quoted somebody else, whose statement has no intrinsic context (however, Marie Dressler).

Jev has taken that statement and has used it in a mildly deprecative way in reference to himself (think ). Ie, he has given it a bit of
    meaning in the context of this thread.

As such, the intention can be taken as a bit of a .

Am(-ing also).
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darned Am, you know me better than I do!

There is, however, another point in that quote: photographers tend to develop over the years. We experiment, learn, change style maybe. A photo that you considered top quality 10 years ago may not be what you consider representative for your work today. The photo you made yesterday does.

If a potential "customer" (I don't do commercial work anymore but still regard viewers as "customers" in some way) sees my work, (s)he should look at current pictures - because that represents the style and quality that may be expected if (s)he were to commission me for something. "My best" therefore is not the photo I took 10 years ago. That 10 year old photo hanging from the wall however serves another purpose: it keeps a (personal) memory alive (even if colored by the quality of the image).

In short: "your best" changes. It changes over time, it changes with the purpose of the show, it even changes with whom you show it to.

"There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer" (Ansel Adams).
    Last edited by jev; 17-02-2015 at 6:52pm.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best of collection

Thanks guys. Yes, I agree whole heartedly with what you wrote there jev, so I was trying to work out if you were joking or not with the quote. I too was poking fun at myself as I fairly often take a poor shot and really wouldn't want that quote to be true .
    It's also quite often that I look at an old shot I used to like and wonder what I ever saw in it, but also vice versa. (There is one shot that I took 10 years ago this year that is still one of my favorites) Thanks for the explanation everyone.
    On topic - I do kind of do a best of book, because each year I create a photo book of my son's last year to send to grandparents in the UK. I'm not sure how much developing my child photography is showing over the years but it's sure easy to look back and see the changes in my son
    Last edited by Hamster; 17-02-2015 at 7:15pm.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pgbphotographytas View Post
    Do you keep a "best of collection" in either physical or digital format for when people ask to see "your best photos"?
    It can also depend on the people asking for your best of.Do they want something specific(probably not/maybe). Show me your best people photos, best flowers, best birds, best landscapes, etc.
    I've been asked to provide some photos of birds (as many varieties as I can) for a web site of our local wetlands. Pretty sure they will be happy with what I don't think is best of. I have to now go back over many photos that never would have made it into any best of collection. and even the good ones are filed under the bird names, not the place name, and then there's the ones I think aren't so good, but they'd serve the purpose.(yep, I've learned something now)..... So maybe we should keep more than one "best of collection"?
    Last edited by Mark L; 18-02-2015 at 12:26am.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.