Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Good beginners DSLR help please

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha yep!! Hi Jason!

Yeah i just purchased my first house so dont think ill be able to collect stuff as fast but, im thinking of putting my camera wth kit lens on layby - pay that off asap then by the time tax time and bday comes around ill definitely have a good idea on lenses woohoo exciting!

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    .... Never listen to a salesperson.. get your information from people have have no vested interest in selling something, but have the knowledge to guide you with accurate information.

Amen to that .. and I'm not even religious!

Something like a superzoom sounds great to begin with, but many folks have found out .. they always want more lens(in some way or another).

That could be more sharpness throughout more of the focal length range .. maybe more aperture .. those superzooms tend to slow down(in aperture) very low into the focal length range .. 50mm may become f/5, and so on.

A wide ranging zoom lens is always handy to have access too, but if your interest develops into a fanaticism, you'll tend to use it less and less as you acquire faster aperture lenses over a short length of time!
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive been quoted $569.00 for a Tamron starter kit which includes strap, bag, 18-270mm lens, uv cover and a cleaning kit... Hmmmm

ITS SO HARD TO PICK!

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MissNarniee View Post
    Ive been quoted $569.00 for a Tamron starter kit which includes strap, bag, 18-270mm lens, uv cover and a cleaning kit... Hmmmm

ITS SO HARD TO PICK!
    Analyse it ---

The lens can be bought for $430.00 delivered.

Without seeing the bag, strap, cleaning kit and UV filter but having a rough guess at the combined value of all items I would say that they would be worth about $50.00 total.
    That figure would represent a very good profit margin for the dealer.
    Price the items individually and see what you can come up with ----

Don't jump straight into deals like your example, you can save a lot of money by doing more research.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ITS SO HARD TO PICK!
    Preliminary reply:
    Part 1.
    Have you seen this? http://www.shopbot.com.au/pp-tamron-...ce-293631.html

Part 2.
    Have you asked of the Site Sponsors here?

Part 3.
    Have you done any research (ie, read reviews) about any lens you're interested in?
    You say the likes of "tamron 18-270 lens reviews".

Part 4.
    All lenses (or at least most) would have all the accessories mentioned bar the "cleaning kit".
    I'd say "Pass!"

Am(for the moment).

- - - Updated - - -

Final response...

For reviews, here's one such from DP Review:
    http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/...3p5-6p3_vc_n15

I'd read it through completely, but go to the last page and read the Conclusion.
    One thing that strikes me there are the lines:

Conclusion - Cons

Slow and occasionally indecisive autofocus
    Geometric distortion across much of the zoom range
    Significant chromatic aberration at wideangle and telephoto (especially 270mm)
    Macro performance rather compromised (very soft at F6.3, focus shifts on stopping down)
    Uneven zoom action, zoom creep when not locked
    Slightly sub-par build quality
    I'd be looking for something else

Am(not impressed).

- - - Updated - - -

Epilog:

Actually, I thought this thread was about a lens to get for a camera, but I see it's for a whole camera kit.

That puts a different light on things, and I'd only suggest that for whatever camera system you get (say, Canon, Nikon)
    just get the standard kit lenses. Use them for a while and sort out your true and proper needs - not speculative forecasts -
    from there.

I say this particularly for the fact that you are listed as a beginner in photography.

Am.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 27-02-2015 at 2:24pm.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah i thought that in the beginning, then went on thinking about lenses then back to the kit lens then everytime i call someone for a quote someone says "ohhh i will mention this lens though blah blah" ahha

i need to tell sales people to shhhhhh and give me the quote for what i asked for
    Maybe because im a young female they are trying to make some money out of me.... Little do they know i have you fabulous peoples help!

Thanks guys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reading through this post it sounds like you have decision paralysis. I appreciate its a big decision but a few of the truisms are :

1. The sales people have to make some money . Agreed we don't want to get "ripped off" , but they have to pay their house off as well as you.
    2. Whatever you buy and pay , you will probably see it cheaper somewhere the day after ! ( or a new model will be announced making what you just purchased worth a little less.)
    3. The time and energy spent looking could be time and energy spent taking photo's

Somewhere else you mentioned paying maybe $500 for the body and $300 for the lens . I would switch your thinking around. Pay more for the lens. Buy the best lens you can afford . Ultimately the lens has the biggest impact on your image. You can always , over time, upgrade the body to match a good lens , but without the good lens body upgrades would be worth little in my opinion.

You don't appreciate the difference until you try both but a lens that will allow you to go to f2.0 rather than f4.5 gives you much more flexibility to shoot lower depth of field, low light etc. More creative possibilities. I started with a kit lens (12-50mm f4.5) 15 months ago and upgraded to the pro lens (14-40mm f2.8) after about six months , and the difference is amazing. Sure the pro lens is $700 more expensive , but worth it if you want this to be a serious hobby.
    The name is Brad ......

OMD EM-1, OMD EM-5MkII, m.Zuiko 12-40mm Pro f2.8, m.Zuiko 40-150mm f2.8 Pro , m.Zuiko 60mm f2.8 Macro, m.Zuiko 17mm f1.8 , Lee Filters

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bcys1961 View Post
    decision paralysis.

I always have hahaha i find it really hard to pick!! All the time about everything!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bcys1961 View Post
    sounds like you have decision paralysis.
    Such a good way to put it! I remember when I bought mine, it took me a few months before I could actually bite the bullet and (lay) buy one. Then I went through the 'After purchase panic' of whether i'd bought the right one or not :P

I wish I had found this forum earlier, would have saved me a month or two of worry haha

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    . . . I'd only suggest that for whatever camera system you get (say, Canon, Nikon)
    just get the standard kit lenses. Use them for a while and sort out your true and proper needs - not speculative forecasts -
    from there.
    Just repeating also consider buying just the one kit lens.

WW

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just went to look at the shop with my partner, came back with a Nikon D5200 and kit lens!!!!
    its charging now.
    I CANT WAIT TO PLAY WITH IT!

Think we got a pretty good deal too

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the purchase. I'm sure you will be very happy with it.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good. Have Fun. Learn Lots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just went to look at the shop with my partner, came back with a Nikon D5200 and kit lens!!!!
    its charging now.
    I CANT WAIT TO PLAY WITH IT!

Think we got a pretty good deal too
    The same one I ended up deciding on I think its the perfect camera for someone just starting out. Hope you enjoy it as much as I am, and look forward to seeing your snaps

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no idea what im doing but im loving it already haha!
    Lets see if i can work out how to use flickr....

- - - Updated - - -

Went out for a popper play in my little garden.. no idea what im doing but yay it works haha

DSC_0026 by sharnee.wagland, on Flickr

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the new kit.

To link from Flickr properly, you need to choose a bigger size image to link (see step 2) : http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...Ausphotography

Choose a size around 1000 pixels
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Realistically, any of the Canon range will be great. There are great entry level cameras, for instance the Canon 600D or the newer 700D. Both of these are quite similar, and both produce astounding images when in regards to their price. They also contain a lot of features that are given to top-of-the-range DLSR's. I currently own a 600D and once you have moved on from auto, the photos that can be taken are awesome. By the way, when you do get a camera, don't forget to use raw files because they keep much more opf the image data making the quality better when they're finally converted to jpeg or jpg files on your computer.

- - - Updated - - -

Or the one you got too. I would have gotten that one if it had not been as expensive as it was for me.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123