Thread: Beauty Shoot Light Setups

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beauty Shoot Light Setups

My wife and I are planning a few more beauty shoots for her makeup business website and general marketing and I want to try and improve my setup a little.
    Currently I have the following lighting gear and want to keep the purchasing of new gear to a minimum if possible
    • Elinchrom D-Lite 4 Kite with the square soft boxes
    • 580EX II Flash (No stand or transmitter yet..)

First aim is to be able to able change the background colour quickly and easily using gels on a flash. After a little research grey backgrounds seem to be able to changed to various colours (reds, blues, greens) and depending on light setup also get the black or almost white.
    • I am not sure if I could use my 580EX II for this or if I need to use one of my D-Lites?
    • Is Grey actually the best background colour to use for this purpose? Or is white better?
    • Planning on getting Vinyl background at this stage as the long term horizontal storage of paper worries me or should I not be worried about it.

Secondly, I want to try a different light modifier rather than the square soft boxes, looking very seriously at either a 70cm Elinchrom white beauty dish or maybe an Indirect Soft Box or a Large Parabolic Umbrella.
    • Should I consider a Silver beauty dish over a white one?
    • Are grids worthwhile on the beauty dish?
    • Knowing the type of photos going to be shooting what do you guys recommend?
    • I am open to any other suggestions anyone has?

Thirdly, if I am using for example one of my D-Lites with some gels to light my background and say another in a beauty dish.

• In an ideal world should I be looking to either use my 580EX II as a hair/rim light?
    • I have seen tutorials where they use a further two studio strobes one on each side as hair/rim lights is this really necessary?

Thanks in advance and if anyone has any further suggestions I am all ears.

Jeremy
    Last edited by JJM; 05-02-2015 at 3:24pm.