Thread: Playing with a concept : QR code as watermark

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mpb View Post
    Rick, do you plan to use them on web based photos or printed.

If web base, would it be easier to have the image linked to the source or provide the link to click on. This would be much less distracting than the QRcode.
    I could not imagine myself using a second device to scan a code on a screen when I could simply click on the device I am actually viewing on. (I have assumed, rightly or wrongly, that I need a second device to scan the code)

Printed. I think it is a good idea but likely to be more distracting on a printed photo.

I have never really taken to QRcodes. tried it here with limited success on the first and none on the second. Other than that I have tried it perhaps twice before.
    On the web. I could make the entire image clickable using code. Like the Flickr linked photos etc we get here on AP. But the QR code is designed to be scanned, generally by a smartphone, and then take your any weblink. Basically they are a barcode, that unlike supermarket goodies, links you to a webpage rather than a $$ at the checkout.

I am not sure yet if I will progress this and use it on all my images, but it is something I am testing out.

As for prints, you could, if you had a exhibition, have the QR code printed onto the print, but have a different QR code for each image. A viewer at the exhibition could scan the QR code and be taken directly to a webpage for that specific phtoo and order a print of the size they wanted, right there, at the exhibition.

I think there are a lot of people who see theses QR codes at time and who have never tried to use one. That is certainly a restricting factor, but people will try them (as you did), and at least if they understand what they do, they might, if the incentive is there, use them again.

I suppose I will not know how effective the idea can be, unless I try it.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Fishy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you buy some automotive parts with QR code it will take you to you tube with information about the part and maybe a video of installation. Very handy. cheers Brian
    Cheers Brian.

Canon 7D Kit lenses EFS 18-55 IS EFS 55-250 IS EF28-90 Canon EF 2xll Extender Sigma DG150-500 OS Speedlight 420EX. 580EX

Mark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    On the web. I could make the entire image clickable using code. Like the Flickr linked photos etc we get here on AP. But the QR code is designed to be scanned, generally by a smartphone, and then take your any weblink. Basically they are a barcode, that unlike supermarket goodies, links you to a webpage rather than a $$ at the checkout.
    Understand, but my main point was that you need the second device to scan the code. I don't really want to be looking at your beautiful photos on my phone.

Would it not be easier to just put the link below the photo like

For information on eastern water dragons see wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_water_dragon

That way you don't spoil your photo and I dont need to find my phone, try and scan, then try to look at the photos/other info on a small screen.
    Just my thoughts.
    Last edited by mpb; 05-02-2015 at 10:23am.
    Mark

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I may test this out for the Across the Bay for Cancer event I am doing the photography for this weekend. It may be a good way to direct traffic back to their website.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both worked on my iphone6 but less consistently on the second.
    Great idea but in its current form I think it detracts from your image too much.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mpb View Post
    Understand, but my main point was that you need the second device to scan the code. I don't really want to be looking at your beautiful photos on my phone.
    There are many things you can do with QR codes. A link to a photo might be sub-optimal but encoded contact data for example is very handy. I've seen them on a couple of businesscards which is a pretty good way to get VCard info to a smartphone. Embedding a full VCard in a photo might be too much, but you could store the full VCard on a server and have a the QR code point to its URL.

Also, QR codes can be read by tablets, not just phones. When encoding the URL of a website in it, the browser on a tablet may jump right to it. Or perhaps to a website where you can actually buy the photo.

There are many types of data you can encode and the possibilities are endless...
    Ciao, Joost

All feedback is highly appreciated!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, late to this topic.

I tested the QR codes with 3 real barcode scanners (all 2D models, Linea Pro 4, Linea Pro 5, and Koamtac KDC 300i).
    The first image can only be read by Koamtac, not others.
    The second images can't be read by any of my barcode scanners.

However, I believe most people would use iPhone or iPad's camera to read QR code.
    cameras: Sony A7 II, A7r, NEX-7, A350, HX50V; Canon EOS 70D | Flickr | a very happy Mac user

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't it nice to be the first person having thought of something? Good idea!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12