Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  7

Thread: Canon 5DmkIII firmware v1.3.3 has just been released

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canon 5DmkIII firmware v1.3.3 has just been released

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/support/pr...ersAndSoftware

Was hoping for the ability to use Exposure compensation in Manual mode like they added to the last 1Dx firmware upgrade, but disappointingly, there are only a couple of bug fixes.
    “Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst" – Henri Cartier-Bresson
    **Commercial Link Removed by Admin**

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CandidTown View Post

Was hoping for the ability to use Exposure compensation in Manual mode like they added to the last 1Dx firmware upgrade...
    I really don't understand why a professional body like the 5D3 this doesn't have this feature. I'd use it a lot.
    Living on earth is expensive, but it does include an annual free trip around the sun

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was hoping for the ability to use Exposure compensation in Manual mode like they added to the last 1Dx firmware upgrade, but disappointingly, there are only a couple of bug fixes.
    Umm, sorry if I am wrong here, but "Exposure Compensation" in manual mode is as simple as just exposing over or under as you desire ?? isn't it ??
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can have your camera in manual exposure mode, but ISO in AUTO.
    That way you can select your settings of aperture/shutter speed and auto Iso will take care of proper exposure.
    This would certainly encourage me to shoot in manual mode more often. I shoot in Aperture priority 90% of the time.
    However in Canons EV compensation doenst work in manual mode.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...However in Canons EV compensation doenst work in manual mode...
    Making a mild mockery of "manual" in this case, CT. Hope the upgrade fixes this.
    Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's just the way Canon works.
    It's not something i miss very much and only discovered when I worked with a Nikon one day.
    I thought it was quite a handy thing to have.
    They changed it with a firmware upgrade for their flagship 1Dx, but I dont think they will bother with any other cameras in their lineup.

May have to wait for 5dMkiV... but something tells me, my MkIII is the last DSLR I will ever shoot with professionally.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkChap View Post
    Umm, sorry if I am wrong here, but "Exposure Compensation" in manual mode is as simple as just exposing over or under as you desire ?? isn't it ??
    Hi MarkChap - the 1Dx has the ability to apply exposure compensation in Manual mode by adjusting ISO since firmware 2.0.3. I have used exposure compensation regularly in the past in AV mode but have been shooting more on manual with auto ISO. I was surprised that this feature wasn't supported in the 5D3.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just noticed this isn't on the Australian Canon site....?

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you are using manual mode why would you choose auto ISO? Especially if it takes Ev away?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still don't get it ?

In manual mode, I just cannot understand why anyone would want to set the meter to "zero" or correct exposure by the camera meter and then have the camera add or subtract some of that exposure by adjusting the iso ?
    You really may as well just use either Tv or Av with exposure compensation and let the camera do the work for you ??
    The whole purpose of manual mode is for the user to decide exactly what settings are used to achieve a desired exposure.
    Set your ISO, set your shutter speed and set your aperture to achieve the desired result, if that is "x" below what the camera thinks is correct so be it

You can have your camera in manual exposure mode, but ISO in AUTO.
    That way you can select your settings of aperture/shutter speed and auto Iso will take care of proper exposure.
    This would certainly encourage me to shoot in manual mode more often. I shoot in Aperture priority 90% of the time.
    However in Canons EV compensation doenst work in manual mode.
    It's just the way Canon works.
    It's not something i miss very much and only discovered when I worked with a Nikon one day.
    I thought it was quite a handy thing to have.
    They changed it with a firmware upgrade for their flagship 1Dx, but I dont think they will bother with any other cameras in their lineup.

May have to wait for 5dMkiV... but something tells me, my MkIII is the last DSLR I will ever shoot with professionally.
    Quote Originally Posted by stulandr View Post
    Hi MarkChap - the 1Dx has the ability to apply exposure compensation in Manual mode by adjusting ISO since firmware 2.0.3. I have used exposure compensation regularly in the past in AV mode but have been shooting more on manual with auto ISO. I was surprised that this feature wasn't supported in the 5D3.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still don't get it ?
    In manual mode, I just cannot understand why anyone would want to set the meter to "zero" or correct exposure by the camera meter and then have the camera add or subtract some of that exposure by adjusting the iso ?
    You really may as well just use either Tv or Av with exposure compensation and let the camera do the work for you ??
    There are situations (eg sports photography; rapidly changing light) where I want to set a specific shutter speed to ensure proper freezing of the action, and set the aperture for max light and subject separation from the background. Allowing the light meter to provide a first pass, best guess neutral exposure by adjusting ISO works most of the time. Having the option to tell the camera to over/under expose helps in those situations when I want to take control.

The whole purpose of manual mode is for the user to decide exactly what settings are used to achieve a desired exposure.
    Either setting the ISO manually or adjusting exposure compensation, the outcome is the same - manual selection of the desired exposure.

Set your ISO, set your shutter speed and set your aperture to achieve the desired result, if that is "x" below what the camera thinks is correct so be it
    I agree, if you have the time to do this and changes in light don't alter significantly between shots.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Either setting the ISO manually or adjusting exposure compensation, the outcome is the same - manual selection of the desired exposure.
    If you are going to manually dial in exposure compensation as the light changes, then you may as well just manually dial in an ISO change

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with the Mark's and AM.....
    Always expect to have full manual control in manual mode.
    CC always welcome and appreciated.
    Tweaks welcome but please add how and why.