Nikon are there just to confirm the theory that worse can get even worserer!

For anyone resilient enough to contemplate trialing CNX-D(prior to the latest update to v1.1.0(up from v1.0.3), I don't recommend trialling the update.

It it weren't bad enough that the previous versions were glacially slow, and volcanically unstable(crashes in 3 attempts to open out of every 4 for me).

So far it's yet to crash at start up .. and by this I mean the notification that you get in Win7 that 'CaptureNX-D has stopped working'

Now I have to wait for about 35mins(actually did this!) for CNX-D to realise that it indeed has locked itself up and is totally unusable in any way.
6:50PM : Updated v 1.0.3 to v1.1.0
Tried to open the software immediately(to see if the new features work)
Waited about 1-2mins .. nothing. Half it's graphic interface has rendered and that's it.
OK .. maybe I probably should reboot.
Rebooted .. got bored with it, so popped some food in the oven for dinner.

7:00PM : I know the news is about to come on.
Clicked the icon to start(if that's what it's supposed to actually do! ) CNX-D again .. again a 1/4 rendered interface.
image thumbnail icons are there, but without the images of the photos they're supposed to represent. Apart from the very top of the window where it says CaptureNX-D all grey boxes for tools and navigation pane and so forth. Waited about another minute.
7:01PM : Stuff this! back to the kitchen, make salad, glance at the news as I can.
have dinner, watch news and the intro to 730 report.

7:35PM : quickly back to PC .. forgot I had tried to start CNX-D .. still at the basically grey tooless series of rectangles, with one of my images on the main screen, the thumbnails still haven't rendered, but the tool pane and the navigation pane have rendered now.
Only the Gods of insufferable patience know how long it took to render something in the program(I personally forgot I had it running : with the note that running is a very loose description of what it was doing)

7:35PM : clicked something within the interface. I forgot now what I clicked, needless to say it did nothing. Waited(an eternity) to again realise nothing was going to happen in the next 35mins at least .. so back to the telly again.

8:00PM : maybe 9:00PM(can't remember exactly as my brain has fried from trying to get CNX-D to respond to something.
Not remembering what I clicked earlier, I now made a deliberate and calculated effort to click on one of the thumbnail icons.
if my calculations are correct, it's in a folder of images I know, so the next image I click on to generate the main preview is different.

8:01 : (maybe 9:01PM .. CNX-D could be a black hole and could be messing with my local space-time continuum!)
I know I definitely clicked the next thumbnail icon in the series of 5 images in this folder .. it now a matter of waiting for the program to do something .. or the universe to finally end at it's expected 10¹⁰⁰ years from now. I think it's more likely that the end of the universe will come first.

~10:00PM after another forced shut down via task manager and another reboot .. I've come to the realisation that Nikon(software gurus) have been sent here, to Earth on a mission from the Gods of insufferable patience .. go forth and create something to worship!

In that they have.

If you're a glutton for suffering a long, slow, painful brain draining game of patience .. Nikon have the perfect product for you!

Normal people would ideally stay away

In summary: My personal opinion and evaluation of CNX-D (v1.1.0) is this is the worst value for money product I've ever experienced!
(for those lost on the relevance of this last comment .. CNX-D is a free download)

I've had items I've paid for that haven't represented as bad value for money rating as has CNX-D.
Some things I've purchased have imploded or exploded upon having opened the carton containing the product!
My lower rating for CNX-D is based on a notion of equivalence ... in that I couldn't even open the carton with CNX-D!

...... 10:35PM 28/1/10¹⁰⁰ .... finally gave up on waiting for CNX-D to render the next image in the series. Shut it down and uninstalled it