User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  12
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "be a part of the experience on the day"...yep , that will pay the bills

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hope the quality of the photos they get is as good as the spelling in the advert.
    "These photos will be widely shared across the Townsville community, onine and to the wider TEDx community worldwide."
    Just an aside.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe the mean Channel 09. You kneau how it is with typeaux
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's true, but there are those still trying to make a living afterall.

Well, at the end of the day, you just gotta keep going at it. It can be good or bad, just gotta keep going.
    David Tran
    Sony a55
    Sony DT 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6
    Now sits as an antique as it no longer focuses properly.

Wishlist: Sony RX10iv (or RX10v if it ever comes out)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what it is worth, I think that photography is much like writing and other creative arts.

Many people are passionate about it. Many people study it. Many people would like to make a living out of it. Most people wind up as a butcher, baker, or candlestick-maker... or in the heady, heady world of equipment finance like me...and that passion...unfortunately...becomes a hobby.

And like writing, success comes only to the very talented, or the very lucky. In any event, those who can carve a well-paid career from photography are a small (but highly regarded) minority.

TED talks are typically hyped-up 16-minute evangelic lectures about how to change the world through smart technology and breaking through established paradigms, etc.. So, hiring wide-eyed photographic students to shoot the presentations makes sense.

I am pretty sure that no company on the ASX would be happy to take that risk though (let alone a Bride) So, there will always be a place for professional photographers.
    Andrew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawthy View Post
    Many people are passionate about it. Many people study it. Many people would like to make a living out of it. Most people wind up as a butcher, baker, or candlestick-maker... or in the heady, heady world of equipment finance like me...and that passion...unfortunately...becomes a hobby.
    Still some of the most passionate people in any pursuit are hobbyist , amateurs who follow their passion purely for the love of doing it .

"Definition - amateur - person who engages in a study, sport, or other activity for pleasure rather than for financial benefit or professional reasons. Derivation : Latin - amātor (lover) ."

We should not assume that just because someone is paid for what they do they have anymore enjoyment or passion than those who are not. I'm sure many professional photographers are stressed about having to make a living, find the next client , deal with the clients they have , do their BAS /tax etc.... and have long since lost the passion and wish they had stayed hobbyists , and earned their steady income somewhere else . Particulary as their income is eroded by issues like TEDx etc....
    The name is Brad ......

OMD EM-1, OMD EM-5MkII, m.Zuiko 12-40mm Pro f2.8, m.Zuiko 40-150mm f2.8 Pro , m.Zuiko 60mm f2.8 Macro, m.Zuiko 17mm f1.8 , Lee Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If shooters do the job for free then they are devaluing photography. Regardless of the skill of the shooter it is worth payment. Sure the figure would vary according to skill and the product required. Many institutions now pursue the "volunteer" (read:free) route as they think even student photographers aren't worth paying for or that the student is too insecure to charge for the job.

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
    If shooters do the job for free then they are devaluing photography. Regardless of the skill of the shooter it is worth payment. Sure the figure would vary according to skill and the product required. Many institutions now pursue the "volunteer" (read:free) route as they think even student photographers aren't worth paying for or that the student is too insecure to charge for the job.
    I'm not 100% sure they are doing it for free. They get something to add to their portfolio and a recognised name as a client. If I was was hiring I'd rather take someone who did something for free as a learning experience than someone with no experience at all.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a friend who is a professional singer. She was recently invited to perform at a local event and after a discussion she realised that while they would be paying for the technical support staff, stage hands etc, they expected her to be the singer for free. Needless to say she ended the discussion there, but it does give an indication of just how tough it is to make a dollar in the arts. Move the speakers around or mix the sound and of course you get paid - but be centre stage and sing the songs - well that should be done just for the exposure.
    I have no solutions to this. I just hope that fashions will change. Somebody may be willing to sing or take photos for nothing once or twice, but very few will do it as an ongoing thing, particularly when they see all the odd job people around them being paid.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12