User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Linux password blanking software

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Linux password blanking software

Does anyone no of a Linux software program that can remove/blank out passwords from Windows systems. Apparently there is one available but haven't been able to find it. I have a laptop with 2 administrator/user passwords and facial recognition plus one non-admin user. Unfortunately I can't contact the previous owner at the moment.

I have tried win. password recovery but that didn't seem to work.
    Nikon, D750, D5000, 35mm f/1.8, 18-55mm & 55-200mm kit lens,
    Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8, Sigma 120-400mm, Sigma 150-600S, SB-910, Metz mecablitz 58 AF-2
    Manfrotto 680B Mono + 234RC tilt, 055XPROB + 804RC2.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't so much need a Linux software to do what you want ..

You simply need Linux!

What you do is use a LiveLinux installation, allow the laptop to boot into this Linux OS.

From there, (once you're in the live Linux environment) There is a command(OK, it's like a Linux software, but it's usually installed by default) you go into a command prompt and type all manner of stuff to get some info about the Windows installation and then use this info to do the final password resetting .. etc.

It's better if I don't explain it all to you, as I'm not an IT tech and cant' remember this stuff off the top of my head .. I follow the instructions provided by the experts to unstuffup (or de-stuffup) my families or friend's computers.

I use a LinuxLive USB setup for the stuff I unstuff for these people.

Do a google search for Windows password recovery with Linux or something .. the expert's instructions will be much more accurate and non damaging than I can offer!

BUT!!! FWIW: I reckon as it appears to be an old PC you seem to have acquired from someone else(ie. your comment that you can't contact the previous owner) .. my advice will be that it may actually be better to do a fresh re-install of the entire environment.

Not that it makes a big difference, but you also haven't specified what version of Windows you're using on this laptop.

Note too that even if you don't have any Windows disks to re-install with .. you can use any Windows disk or bootable media(USB floppies DVD, etc).
    The laptop has a key specifically for it's hardware .. this is irrevocable!
    As long as the Windows version you are re-installing is the same version/type that came on the laptop .... you're good to go.
    I usually tell people not to re-install the laptop manufacturers default OS image, as it will contain a zillion and one useless bits of software that just bloats the laptop.

So install fresh, you can download a Windows installation ISO direct from M$ themselves(do a search).
    Most, if not all can be booted from a USB stick too .. so no need for a CD/DVD/writeonce media either!

Note that if you do this, there is a 99.9% chance that the manufacturer's recovery image is still resident on the laptops hard drive.
    It may only be 4 gig or so in size which doesn't equate to a huge amount if your HDD is 500Gb or 1Tb in size, but again it will be a bloated installation you may be better off not using .. plus 4 gigs is still 4 gigs you get to keep for yourself.

First thing I do with all laptops and stuff like that is to make backup OS images store them on another drive .. format the drive completely (removing the manufacturer's OS image) and start again without the bloatware.

The only caveat with doing a fresh clean unbloated install is that you may need to download a list of device drivers from the manufacturer's website before you start any of this.

This is also easy to do .. just takes some time(download speed and the physical time to do it).
    The major device drivers to look for may be network drivers, touchpad drivers(although Win7 and later is pretty good without them, as they are present in the OS already).
    Graphics drivers you can download direct from the graphics card/chip manufacturer(ie. get the latest drivers!).
    Keyboards are usually fine .. any other devices you have trouble with you can usually wing it after the OS is installed.
    Just note that an ethernet driver or Wireless LAN driver is something to have access too at the time of OS re-installation.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you guys, will look at it soon. My son in-law did have a quick look with Ubuntu but could not get a result but was the end of the night.

It's a Toshiba L500 PSLS9A-025012 with Win 7.