User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  6

Thread: What to take?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What to take?

Off to NZ in the near future for a cupla weeks. What to take? Don't really want to lug around all the gear so suggestions please. Available is a Sigma 35A,Sigma 50A,17-40l,24-105l & a 70-200 f4 IS & a 5dII.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's hard to recommend other people on what to take.
    As we all have different outlooks on what each piece of kit does for us, what would work for me, probably won't work for you.

But here goes

1/. if this is a dedicated landscaping expedition .. 17-40 for sure!
    2/. if you like to do a bit of street/artsy shooting, then I reckon the 35A could be useful.
    3/. if you are more into art gallery stuff and abstract viewpoints as well as a bit of street shooting .. 50A
    4/. if you prefer to chase wildlife, then the 70-200 is going to be most helpful.
    4/. if you are just going to wander about aimlessly, with no clue on what it is you want to achieve .. 24-105L

5/. if you're like me, and you head out with a plan, but confident that this plan will fall into a heap moments into the trip .. then take it all, and be secure that all that weight you're lugging around is good exercise

5/. is my modus operandi 99.99% of the time.

As an example of how this works for me:
    A week or so ago, I found myself in some bushland I wasn't expecting to drive into. I just followed a road that looked interesting, then off that one onto another that looked even more interesting and ended up in a forest.
    Slowed right down to a crawl looking for something to photograph. After a few minutes I stopped, and had a definite plan to mount the 50/1.4 on the D800 and that was how I was going to see this afternoon.
    About 5 mins into a short walk into the forest, and about 4 exposures, I headed back to the car, mounted the 24-70/2.8 and felt at ease again.

... hope that helps
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    24-105 is all you really need.
    That focal length will capture every holiday snap that you want.
    Sure you can take the 17-40.. which is a dedicated landscape lens, but its only a few mm wider than the 24mm.. and honestly, what are the chances that you will get a perfect light/weather/clouds combination to take a great landscape shot...
    Are you willing to stay at a spot for a few days till you get an interesting setup?..
    I'd buy a postcard instead and move on..

70-200 is a portrait lens. You bought it so you can take beautiful portraits with great bokeh...
    which means, blurry background.. which means... no one will know that you took the images in NZ...

I'd take the 50 as a backup but would have the 24-105 on at all times.
    Holiday photography is taking images that are specific to the place, interesting people, interesting objects.
    24-105 is a perfect street photography lens too...

As you can tell, I like that lens.
    I have the Sigma version of it.
    I used to be a strictly f2.8 guy but i really like the versatility of this lens.
    “Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst" – Henri Cartier-Bresson
    **Commercial Link Removed by Admin**

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fruengalli View Post
    Off to NZ in the near future for a cupla weeks. What to take? Don't really want to lug around all the gear so suggestions please. Available is a Sigma 35A,Sigma 50A,17-40l,24-105l & a 70-200 f4 IS & a 5dII.
    Do you intend to try carry light majority of the time? If so, the primes are always good although the Sigma Art series isn't on the lighter end of the scale.

I carry my 70-200 on my camera 90% of the time because I love candids so I'd be inclined to go with the 24-105 and 70-200. The 70-200 f/4 isn't as heavy so it's not bad as an option to bring along. If you don't want to carry the 70-200, you can always leave it in the hotel but having it there may be good for those occasions where you need it, particularly if you are going near something like a volcano and you want some extra reach.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with CandidTown on his suggestion, 24-105.
    It's enough for landscape (realistically, you'll be taking multiple shots to make one final panorama, if not, bring the 17-40 too), and 105 is just enough for portraits, if you want portraits.

And then having that range, though it's no prime, I'm sure it can still take a good shot in-between.

But if you like reach, 70-200.

So end combo, depending on what you want, its
    17-40 + 24-105
    24-105 + 70-200

I'd go option 2, landscape I'd just do panorama, even if it's very short and not exactly 2:1 or 3:2. - 3.5:2 works for me
    David Tran
    Sony a55
    Sony DT 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6
    Now sits as an antique as it no longer focuses properly.

Wishlist: Sony RX10iv (or RX10v if it ever comes out)

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Arthur,
    Weighed it all up & it will go about 6.5kg & yes my plan is always random. Probably take them all particularly the 35 for its lack of distortion & clarity in the panos.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    It's hard to recommend other people on what to take.
    As we all have different outlooks on what each piece of kit does for us, what would work for me, probably won't work for you.

But here goes

1/. if this is a dedicated landscaping expedition .. 17-40 for sure!
    2/. if you like to do a bit of street/artsy shooting, then I reckon the 35A could be useful.
    3/. if you are more into art gallery stuff and abstract viewpoints as well as a bit of street shooting .. 50A
    4/. if you prefer to chase wildlife, then the 70-200 is going to be most helpful.
    4/. if you are just going to wander about aimlessly, with no clue on what it is you want to achieve .. 24-105L

5/. if you're like me, and you head out with a plan, but confident that this plan will fall into a heap moments into the trip .. then take it all, and be secure that all that weight you're lugging around is good exercise

5/. is my modus operandi 99.99% of the time.

As an example of how this works for me:
    A week or so ago, I found myself in some bushland I wasn't expecting to drive into. I just followed a road that looked interesting, then off that one onto another that looked even more interesting and ended up in a forest.
    Slowed right down to a crawl looking for something to photograph. After a few minutes I stopped, and had a definite plan to mount the 50/1.4 on the D800 and that was how I was going to see this afternoon.
    About 5 mins into a short walk into the forest, and about 4 exposures, I headed back to the car, mounted the 24-70/2.8 and felt at ease again.

... hope that helps
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CandidTown View Post
    24-105 is all you really need.
    That focal length will capture every holiday snap that you want.
    Sure you can take the 17-40.. which is a dedicated landscape lens, but its only a few mm wider than the 24mm.. and honestly, what are the chances that you will get a perfect light/weather/clouds combination to take a great landscape shot...
    Are you willing to stay at a spot for a few days till you get an interesting setup?..
    I'd buy a postcard instead and move on..

70-200 is a portrait lens. You bought it so you can take beautiful portraits with great bokeh...
    which means, blurry background.. which means... no one will know that you took the images in NZ...

I'd take the 50 as a backup but would have the 24-105 on at all times.
    Holiday photography is taking images that are specific to the place, interesting people, interesting objects.
    24-105 is a perfect street photography lens too...

As you can tell, I like that lens.
    I have the Sigma version of it.
    I used to be a strictly f2.8 guy but i really like the versatility of this lens.
    This will be the work horse for sure...vastly underrated. 17-40 will go cause it's relatively small & light. 35 for stitched panos?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MissionMan View Post
    Do you intend to try carry light majority of the time? If so, the primes are always good although the Sigma Art series isn't on the lighter end of the scale.

I carry my 70-200 on my camera 90% of the time because I love candids so I'd be inclined to go with the 24-105 and 70-200. The 70-200 f/4 isn't as heavy so it's not bad as an option to bring along. If you don't want to carry the 70-200, you can always leave it in the hotel but having it there may be good for those occasions where you need it, particularly if you are going near something like a volcano and you want some extra reach.
    For long range it's all I've got not so much for candids but out on the sounds overnight for daylight wildlife might be useful.
    Last edited by Fruengalli; 01-02-2015 at 7:56pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there,

the main question for me would be; how are you traveling? If you can take your lenses and put them into your suitcase--why not take it all?
    You can then decide on each day what you want to shoot and carry the appropriate lens with you and leave the others in your suitcase.

Other than that, I personally would agree with those suggesting the 24-105. The more you lug around the more you have to decide and think. Travel light and enjoy your trip!

Cheers Moxi