Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Allianz Car Insurance

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Allianz Car Insurance

Ok, just one simple question:

My aunty has full comprehensive, my brother uses her car, he is included in her policy

My brother turns on car, lets it warm up and quickly runs inside to grab something, comes out, car's gone

Police find it, car has been ruined by thief, and car is towed back

Allianz says they won't cover anything because it was my brother's fault for negligence or something - leavings keys in car

So they won't cover for towing costs, or any costs to repair, so I want to know, is this nornal?

Never used full comprehensive before, and don't know if this is generally the way it is, or an Allianz thing, or they just don't want to help.

Thank you
    Last edited by bitsnpieces; 21-01-2015 at 1:02pm.
    David Tran
    Sony a55
    Sony DT 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6
    Now sits as an antique as it no longer focuses properly.

Wishlist: Sony RX10iv (or RX10v if it ever comes out)

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did the police also book him for leaving an unlocked vehicle unattended?

They could have ----

Sounds pretty much standard for insurance company policies --- have they / you read the policy thoroughly?
    The first thing that an insurance company looks for is an excuse not to pay, conveniently it would seem for them in this case they have probably identified "negligent use" of the car as being a reason to not pay.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure if my brother did or not, but I think he did after this incident

Luckily the police didn't book him

But still sucks now, a thrashed car waiting to get picked up... Towed from Dandenong I believe, back to Brooklyn... Oh well

Thank you very Andrew
    Last edited by bitsnpieces; 21-01-2015 at 1:01pm.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say so. One fine day (35 yrs ago) I got booked for being 5 metres away from running car with handbrake on and in Park gear as it had a dodgy battery
    at the time. (OK, I was in a shop getting some "fast food"). The policeman was pretty understanding, but I just said OK and agreed it was 1) Slly, and 2) against
    the law (I think, "not having control of a running vehicle"). He was pretty lenient and gave me a lesser fine.

As for insurance, well I think they could refuse that, but try an industry ombudsman. Call first and describe the matter. A bit harsh to treat the car that way, though,
    when I would think they could have told you. Anyway, their insurance ads are SO ABSOLUTELY STYOOPID you'd have to be mad to be with them.

Am.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 21-01-2015 at 12:53pm.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I think my mum's given up on it, not bothered fighting for it - live and learn.

So they're cancelling the policy for the car now since, it's pretty much gone, and paying the towing fine (which has been weeks now trying to deal with Allianz, so the towing cost has shot right up...), and don't know, probably see if it can be sold for parts some how at those yards?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like I said, run it past the Ins Industry ombudsman (find - he may be combined with some other). Oh, CERTAINLY cancel the insurance, and get BACK some of the unused premium.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So then I'm supposed to run it by the Ins Industry Ombudsman first, then if nothing work out, cancel? Or start cancelling while talking to the Ombudsman? o.O

Also, I tried a search, now sure what this Industry Ombudsman is, never heard of it before lol

This is what I've found: But no idea where car fits into - maybe I just missed it: http://www.australia.gov.au/topics/l...ice/complaints

http://www.fos.org.au/
    Last edited by bitsnpieces; 21-01-2015 at 1:15pm.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The link that I found is for NSW (presumably your rels are here) Fair Trading: http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/ft...Insurance.page

OK, I thought an ombudsman handled it. Call them and discuss. Decide from there. There is a fee, but I've forgotten how much, if
    you make a case out of it.

Mark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of the policies I have had state that the vehicle should not be left unlocked when unattended, let along with the keys in it.

As suggested above check the wording, it probably says something like:-

"6. Prevention of loss or damage
    We may not pay your claim if you do not take all
    reasonable precautions to prevent injury, loss or
    damage, including securing your vehicle against
    unauthorised entry when it is unattended. This
    includes removing your keys and locking the vehicle
    and ensuring all security and tracking devices are
    active and maintained. It is a condition of this policy
    that your vehicle be kept in good repair."
    Last edited by mpb; 21-01-2015 at 1:37pm.
    Mark

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, David. I just thought of something else: since (I understand) the police had it towed and (indirectly) caused the damage,
    you could try the NSW State Ombudsman. No harm in trying.

Cancel when you're satisfied there's nothing else that can be done with the Ins Co. Make sure you ask for the amount of
    unused premium. For instance, I'm getting back the princely sum of $34 because I sold a car 6 weeks before the humble
    TPPDO insurance ran out. You might be entitled to ?100s. Oh, and they told me that. I didn't know and I just called about
    another policy I had with them (NOT!! Allianz!)

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you everyone for your help.

Will look into it.

I doubt much will progress though, and my mum couldn't care less anymore now lol

Guess we'll be more careful in the future

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the car was on private property or something, with gates disallowing access to the vehicle .. or something like that .. I'd argue the point.
    If access to the car was freely and easily available, even tho it's on private property I wouldn't bother.

Insurance companies will fight tooth and nail to get out of paying up.

A long shot would be to try to find the thieves and recover some compensation. Although it'd probably cost more in legal fees than the amount recovered.

I have to say tho, this would be standard practice no matter the company involved.
    I switched to Allianz after seeing some extremely high customer service levels, via my father's and then my sister's dealing with them .. and then my father's again .. and again, and again
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried talking to your local council about it? It really comes down to whether or not you want to make enough fuss about it, if you really need the money, you're bound to get somewhere if you get up in people's faces about it.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    If the car was on private property or something, with gates disallowing access to the vehicle .. or something like that .. I'd argue the point.
    Was thinking along those lines as well.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 155581 View Post
    Have you tried talking to your local council about it? It really comes down to whether or not you want to make enough fuss about it, if you really need the money, you're bound to get somewhere if you get up in people's faces about it.
    I am not sure a local council would be interested in a car insurance matter. It is a civil matter that the council is not a party to, and surely something they would not want to become involved in.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Fishy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all don't cancel the policy. Then contact the ombudsman. People make mistakes every day and this was just one of them. The car wasn't left like that day in day out. Contact the insurance company and tell them you are going to the ombudsman. Don't listen to any crap they tell you about you won't win etc etc etc. Work out a settlement amount yourself and tell them you want this much. Don't take no for an answer. I know this from personal experience. Car stolen, some technical issue, refused claim. After ombudsman nearly $10.000.00 payout. I repeat don't take no for an answer. cheers brian
    Cheers Brian.

Canon 7D Kit lenses EFS 18-55 IS EFS 55-250 IS EF28-90 Canon EF 2xll Extender Sigma DG150-500 OS Speedlight 420EX. 580EX

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, it would appear that it's Fair Trading, not the ombudsman - UNLESS - you want to complain about the police action.
    If you start out unfocused they will have you over a barrel - the ins co, that is.

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The challenge in this case may be a specific policy exclusion which refers to theft and leaving the keys in the car. This is common practice.

I know there is a case on at the moment with Audi where a number of people had their cars stolen because they left the emergency key in the cubbyhole and werent notified about the location of emergency key by the car dealer. Now there is currently a group of people suing Audi because the insurance company has repudiated the claims. Apparently a set of thieves went on the spree targeting Audi's specifically to see if the keys were in the cubbyhole

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What the OP should do if the Policy Holder is not happy with the outcome of his Aunts?? Mothers?? claim is to contact the Insurer to speak with their Complaints Officer and have claim escalated if so needed - Allianz are members of the ICA and comply with General Insurance Code of Practice.

My personal opinion however is that Allianz have acted as they should when a Policy Holder has clearly breached his/her duty of care by leaving the keys in the car whilst unattended. I am sorry for the persons loss, but a good lesson learnt.

Kevin
    Regards
    Kevin

Nikon D500 D7200. nikkor 200-500 f5.6, Tamron 100-400, Nikkor 70-200 f4 plus other glass.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevpride/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel for your aunt and brother, but imagine if insurance companies paid out when you left your car unlocked with the keys in the ignition?

If the insurance value was higher than you could get by selling it, a lot of people would be leaving their cars unlocked etc., and we'd be paying through the nose for insurance.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast