User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Quadcopter over Sydney Harbour - from inside my house in Canberra.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quadcopter over Sydney Harbour - from inside my house in Canberra.

It's too wet to go outside and play with my real quadcopter, so I was playing with a tiny Hubsan X4 inside.
    I had the idea of putting a shot of it on Facebook to show how bored I was that I had resorted to playing with a toy quad inside.
    That idea then lead to occupying the next 2 hours of my day....

Not content to just use my phone and snap a blurry OOF shot with one hand, while trying to fly the thing with the other two hands, I decided to play around with trying to get a shot where a painting my father did, of an aerial shot of Sydney Harbour, would end up being the background, and tweaking my lighting and DOF to try and fake up a shot that looks a little like it's been taken outdoors.

Well, the Hubsan is a nice stable beginner's quadcopter, but it's still a 2 handed job to fly it and keep it RELATIVELY in one place, which doesn't leave too many hands to operate the camera - let alone get a good focus on the moving quad.

Took 144 attempts to get 3 or 4 reasonable results. This was the best of them.
    Ended up having to tuck a remote shutter release upside down under the radio transmitter for the quad, and try and fire it while the quad was in approximately a pre-focussed point. Unfortunately, it's really noisy too, as it's a grey wet miserable day here, and my house is dark at the best of times, so had to crank up the ISO.

I might have to try again on a bright sunny day with some decent light.

IMG_5533net by Ezookiel, on Flickr
    Canon EOS 60D ..... EFS 18-200mm f/3.5 - 5.6 IS - 430 EXII Speedlite - "eBay special" Remote Control Unit - Manfrotto 190XPROB w 804RC2 head.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    For the next boring rainy day.
    If it's a wireless remote you could set it off with your toe.
    You could also get the camera much higher (on top of a ladder) and get the quadcopter lower (closer) to the painting making a more in focus BG. Bounce flash off ceiling.
    Or forget operating the quadcopter. Hang it from something with fishing line and get on with photography.
    But it was so boring, you already tried all that.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a reference shot, here's the background, which was painted by my Father ....
    57537_10152489307002048_8787247803147184911_o by Ezookiel, on Flickr