Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Anyone been to HOBBITON?

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone been to HOBBITON?

We went to see The Hobbit - Battle of the Five Armies - on NYE and this thread by Goatch reminded me that I wanted to ask this on AP. So, has anyone been to the site where they have "built" Hobbiton in NZ?

We're thinking of going to NZ in the near future, and I have wondered if it's worth visiting that particular place: is it any good? - overrated? - an overpriced theme park, etc?

Or, is it just great?

Just wondering.
    Am.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 02-01-2015 at 8:18pm.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I had friends go last year and loved it. They said the WETA studio tour was amazing. I have a good friend who is mad on Tolkein and is going to NZ later this month simply to do Hobbit/Lord of the Ring tours. I suppose it depends how much you are into Middle Earth as to how much you would appreciate it
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ta Rick. That just about seals it. I began reading The Hobbit one afternoon in Jan 1975. Some hours later I forced myself to close the book - about 7/8 of the way through it

I had put off reading Tolkien for a 2ple of years before that as EVERYBODY was reading it. I then found out why. The only difference was I did not go around RAVING about it.

The LOR and Hobbit movies are something quite different from the books - much licence taken for dramatic purposes, but I suppose to reach a wider audience than just the books would
    (and maximise profits, of course). A thought crossed my head after the movie: how would they go with The Silmarillion?

Oh, and a pet disgust of mine is how they kept referring to the LOR movies as a "trilogy" "Trilogy" sayers should be marched off to Mordor.
    How do you get 3 independent though related stories out of one? - But I digress.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 02-01-2015 at 8:55pm.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of the extra material used in the LOTR & Hobbit movies actually comes from the Silmarillon, e.g. the Arwen/Aragorn romance, only this last movie diverged somewhat - in the book Bilbo slept through most of the battle! There was talk of making a film(s) of Tolkien's history, another trilogy, I imagine, if they ever get round to doing it.

NZ is stunningly beautiful, down the Otago/Queenstown/Fiordland regions there are numerous tours of sites used in LOTR trilogy (I maintain the movies ARE a trilogy). Haven't been to the north island yet, but do long to visit Hobbiton. Lots of pics when you go please.

Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Ta Rick. That just about seals it. I began reading The Hobbit one afternoon in Jan 1975. Some hours later I forced myself to close the book - about 7/8 of the way through it

I had put off reading Tolkien for a 2ple of years before that as EVERYBODY was reading it. I then found out why. The only difference was I did not go around RAVING about it.

The LOR and Hobbit movies are something quite different from the books - much licence taken for dramatic purposes, but I suppose to reach a wider audience than just the books would
    (and maximise profits, of course). A thought crossed my head after the movie: how would they go with The Silmarillion?

Oh, and a pet disgust of mine is how they kept referring to the LOR movies as a "trilogy" "Trilogy" sayers should be marched off to Mordor.
    How do you get 3 independent though related stories out of one? - But I digress.
    Last edited by Analog6; 03-01-2015 at 6:31am.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Next stop Osgiliath, then all desolations to Mordor... Please stand clear, ORCS passing!!!

OK, I define a trilogy as 3 stories related by characters, event, places, but otherwise independent in plot and conclusion. In the LOR and The Hobbit it
    is one continuous story with one aim. All the different sub-plots - Frodo's trek to Mordor; the 3 companions; Pippin and Merry; Gandalf's ordeal... all diverge
    and recombine to one conclusion. Why do you say it's a trilogy, Odille? (Curious, is all - about what you've got in your pocketses)

Am.

(Wrong preposition: in plot, not of plot)
    Last edited by ameerat42; 03-01-2015 at 9:41am.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mainly because they made the movies in such a way that you COULD have just seen one - it would not have been nearly as satisfying, but you could. And JRR did divide the book up into three - I don't bel;dive it was ever published as one volume (I may be wrong).

Are you visiting south island as well as north? if so be sure to go to Glenorchy and Kinloch - across Lake Wakatipu. The drive from Queenstown to Glenorchy is brilliant, and at the pull off on the left about half way along you'll see where all those photos have been taken from!

after-CF032318.jpg

Kinloch is the jewel in the crown to me, although many people go only to Glenorchy and never get to Kinloch. There is a campground there and also Kinloch Lodge which has accommodation from THA standard (the kitchen and common lounge with wood fire are great) to 3 star luxury, with a very nice restaurant. Recommend it. The 2 shots I put the links to in my earlier post were both taken there.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, fair enough.

When - at this stage it is only an idea - we go it'll be certainly both main islands. I've been a few days around Auckland
    - approximately in the First Age - and not yet to the S. It'll likely be by hire car and staying in S/C cabins. Ta for the info and this pic
    but I don't see the link in your earlier post. I looked thru the blog but lots of pics.

Am.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must be losing my mind, Im thought I put in links to 2 pics on RedBubble. Here they are.

Blue dawn, taken pre dawn in May from the Kinloch jetty, looking south

And the Old Jetty, same morning a bit later, looking east .across the lake towards Glenorchy

Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    OK, fair enough.

When - at this stage it is only an idea - we go it'll be certainly both main islands. I've been a few days around Auckland
    - approximately in the First Age - and not yet to the S. It'll likely be by hire car and staying in S/C cabins. Ta for the info and this pic
    but I don't see the link in your earlier post. I looked thru the blog but lots of pics.

Am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went there in November-my favourite thing I saw in NZ and I'm not a hobbit/LOTR fan. The only thing is you are on a guided tour and there's tour after tour following each other around so its here's x , you get a bit of a story now here's a few minutes to get your photos and on to y......its about a 2 hour tour. We had lunch and a drink in the tavern and that was a bit rushed. I would have liked to have stayed longer and wander around the village but you can't do that. But it's such a pretty place . I'd do it again.