Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Best compact p&S- Sony RX100 III or Canon G7 X

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best compact p&S- Sony RX100 III or Canon G7 X

Hey all,

Still having troubles deciding which way to go in terms of camera for my trips this year. My first thought was to sell up Nikon and move to Sony A7 series compact DSLR's. Then I thought about keeping the D600 and taking 2 primes.

Now I'm thinking, just get the best compact p&s I can find. Weight is crutial, particularly for 4 weeks in Europe where I'll have nothing more than a carry on backpack so there really isn't room for a D600 with even a 50mm 1.8

Given I still want to get the best pictures I can with the cameara I take, I'm thinking of either the Sony RX100 III or Canon G7 X. Anybody have experience with either and can reccommend? or an alternative that is better but similar size?
    -My Gear:
    Nikon D600 -/- Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 -/- Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VR -/- Nikon SB800 -/- and a bunch of accessories

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have experience in either one, but looking at reviews, I would go with the Canon G7 X because it's image quality is more consistant, and it has a longer focal length, definitely a bonus in getting that extra reach.

If you're fine to use a point and shoot without a viewfinder (which generally these little guys don't have anyways), then Canon is the way.

One annoying issue Sony has is when you close the viewfinder, it turns off the camera too. It's video, although has a higher quality format, it's stability and auto-focus isn't very stable, and I'm sure the MP4 is a high enough quality if you just want a simple video for memories (I'm guessing you'll mostly be going with photos

Anyways, again, I haven't used either one, but based on reviews and things I've read about the Sony RX100 iii, I would go with the G7 X, but who knows if the G7 X has it's own little problems or not.
    David Tran
    Sony a55
    Sony DT 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6
    Now sits as an antique as it no longer focuses properly.

Wishlist: Sony RX10iv (or RX10v if it ever comes out)

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought my partner an Sony RX100iii and she loves it. For a P&S it's awesome. Unfortunately I haven't had any experience with the Canon but if an anecdotal recommendation with no supporting data is any good to you the Sony is excellent.
    Last edited by enseth; 07-01-2015 at 2:18pm.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A mirrorless camera. Of course, you would expect me to say "Fuji X-T1", so I won't. Instead, I would mention the X-E2 - it's a tad lighter and you probably won't miss the extra features the X-T1 offers on a light travelling camera*. Add 18/2 and 35mm/1.4 primes and you'll have a great travelling combo.

*): single exception is the X-T1 is weather-sealed. Unfortunately, most lenses aren't...
    Ciao, Joost

All feedback is highly appreciated!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the first generation Sony RX100, and I have found it fantastic. I took it on one overseas holiday as my only camera, leaving all of my DSLR gear behind. No regrets. It performed magnificently, and was so compact and handy.
    I have since graduated to the Fuji mirror-less system, and sold all of my DSLR gear. However, the Sony was the catalyst for the change.

If it had a viewfinder, then it would be perfect, and of course the RX1000 III does have one. I say go for the Sony, though I have no experience in the Canon.
    “The true mystery of the world is the visible, not the invisible” – Oscar Wilde

My Flickr feed: http://www.flickr.com/photos/100090825@N04/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E6Mxxe_kG4

Here's the exact video comparison you're looking for, what a stumble upon lol

I've just watched the video now and would agree that Sony is better.

Again, if you want the reach, the Canon isn't too bad. It also has it's other advantages and nice features, so it comes down to you.
    Last edited by bitsnpieces; 10-01-2015 at 12:19pm.