Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nikon D5500 released

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 300 mm F/4 further down the email is slightly more interesting than another new body ----

[top]AF-S 300mm f/4e PF ED VR

Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    The 300 mm F/4 further down the email is slightly more interesting than another new body ----

[top]AF-S 300mm f/4e PF ED VR

Yes, especially the 'sport VR' mode.
    Matt
    CC always appreciated

My Website
    A Blog of sorts

Account Closed at member's request
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd battle to justify a 300 f/4 as I have a 70-200 with a 1.4x converter. The 80-400 is the next toy I want but the minor pricetag issue is getting in the way at the moment.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like Andrew said .. the lens is far more interesting in terms of news.
    The tech within(for Nikon) is a bit of a shift in direction.

PF appears to be Nikon's equivalent to Canon's DO solution.

the new 300 is so much smaller than the older 300/4 in terms of length.
    Diameter of course has to be fairly similar as the lens has a specific diameter requirement(otherwise the max aperture rating would be whacked out).

Nikon's MTF graph seems to indicate a large boost in IQ over the old 300/4 too .. which in itself was no slouch of a lens!
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks good but then for the same money you can get the sigma 120-300 f2.8 with OS. It's a bigger lens but it's a better and has extremely good iq as well. I have the older lens and it's excellent . I also like the bokeh on sigma lenses, for me I think the Nikon lenses work well and have excellent sharpness but after having Pentax and sigma lenses the bokeh of the Nikon is IMHO not as good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    A Birth Certificate shows that we were born.
    A Death Certificate shows that we died.
    Pictures show that we lived!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/knumbnutz/
    http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/neilmorgan

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The major issue with these fresnel lenses is if a light source is within or near the frame edge. It may cause some strange flare issue not always encountered with normal lenses.

Nikon have indicated that CNX-D will have a PF flare reduction tool specifically for this effect.

Nikon have indicated a major update to CNX-D too, in that the next update of this software seems to be v1.1.0(as indicated on Nikon's website.
    This seems to be a major step from a x.x.1 update(ie. v1.0.2 to v1.0.3) to x.1.x version. Maybe they're also planning more tweaks to it(hopefully to it's stability and speed! )

In saying that tho, some of the sample images with this lens look both really good, and also a bit underwhelming as well. But the one I've downloaded with a couple of bright lights in the scene don't seem to indicate that this PF flare is a big a deal as it may appear to be. The sample images have been processed using ViewNX 2.10(and not CNX-D with PF flare reduction).

ps.Knumbutz, the Siggy 120-300/2.8 seems to reatil for closer to the $3K mark, whereas the 300/4PF will be closer to the $2K mark.
    You would expect that the 300/4PF should resolve greater than the Siggy 120-300/2.8 as a more modern lens should .. but that's not always the point.

The major advantage that the 300/4PF will have over many of it's peers and rivals is that it is so much smaller and lighter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is awesome, been waiting for a lens like this cannot wait to see some reviews