Thread: Check your shutter count on new cameras

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check your shutter count on new cameras

Hi Guys

Just a word of warning to check shuttercount on new cameras when you get them. I picked up one from an unnamed retailer (retail special during boxing day period). They have offered a replacement when new stock arrives after I complained so I won't mention their name.

The camera was packed nicely as new. When I purchased it (from another store), they confirmed it had been in a display but said it hadn't been used as it was kept behind glass. I didn't have a wide selection of options as the retail stores had very little stock due to the special.

When I check the camera, I found an 8GB card they had forgotten to remove which included a whole heap of photos of customers, dogs testicles (someone was taking photos of a dogs testicles on a nikon advert), staff and a quick check of the shutter count on the last photo taken showed that 2850 photos had been taken on this camera. I validated this against the first shot taken by myself which was higher than 2850 although there were some photos taken on other models of cameras so this seems to be a generic card used on multiple cameras.

As mentioned, the camera was like new, it was wrapped in plastic perfectly and it look exactly as I would have expected. If I didn't do a mandatory shutter count on the camera (or they hadn't left in the SD card), I probably wouldn't have known any better.

For those who don't know, you can check the shutter count on your camera at http://www.myshuttercount.com/ by uploading an original file taken on the camera (it can't be one that has been imported into lightroom and exported - if you have imported them, go to the original file and upload that).

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know some stores have conditions that state you could be buying refurbished or repaired stock as "new".
    Bit of a rumper! - Or some other body part!
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bugger, that's disappointing. You'd think they'd at least have the honesty to tell you upfront.

Note for Olympus users, images from PEN bodies (Also EM5 & EM1 I think ) don't work with myshuttercount.com
    You have to get into the camera's service menu. A quick Google search will find you the correct steps for your model.
    Matt
    CC always appreciated

My Website
    A Blog of sorts

D750 Shines
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Smells something like Hardly Norman would do

Nikon D750,D500,Z6,Coolpix P7700
    Nikkor 300mm f/4E PF ED VR, Nikkor 16-35mm f/4 VR, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Tokina 100mm f/2.8, Tamron 60mm f/2 , Tamron SP 24-70mm f2.8 VC Di, Nikon Z 24-70mm f/4
    FTZ adapator
    Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art

Account Closed at member's request
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In all honesty, it was one store communicating with another on a body in stock so it could be a completely innocent mistake if the person they spoke to didn't know any better. Ultimately, they are replacing it so it's not a bad outcome but at least the warning is out there.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A nephew bought a camera and it stopped working after a few days. The store replaced it and said they did that if < (?? I think)
    a week.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Checking file #0330 NEF now for the D750, JB had two, one on display and one in a box. I took the box one.
    Still waiting @57%. Very large NEF file and crappy service from the internet tonight, due to the rain.
    After all that I am at 386, which is about right, with all the tethering deletes today.
    Regards
    John
    Nikon D750, Sigma 105mm OS Macro, Tokina 16-28 F2.8, Sigma 24-105 Art, Sigma 150-600C,
    Benro Tripod and Monopod with Arca plates

Ausphotography Regular wideangle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not sure that the shutter count would be correct, as I had tried to work this out and from responses there wasn't a sure way to do totally rely on the number output of the file, assuming that's what you are doing?
    please ask before PP my images

"Life is what happens to you while your busy making other plans"

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J.davis View Post
    Checking file #0330 NEF now for the D750, JB had two, one on display and one in a box. I took the box one.
    Still waiting @57%. Very large NEF file and crappy service from the internet tonight, due to the rain.
    After all that I am at 386, which is about right, with all the tethering deletes today.
    John a very quick and easy program to use to check shutter actuations with Nikon cameras is Kuso Exif viewer as it only involves open a jpeg ( with exif intact ) from any folder on your 'puter with the program.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    A nephew bought a camera and it stopped working after a few days. The store replaced it and said they did that if < (?? I think)
    a week.
    They have to. No matter what their in-store signs state, if a device or product does not perform as it is supposed to, the customer is entitled to a full refund or a replacement item. It is the customers choice. Stores often display things like 'no refund' etc, but the store policy cannot over-rule consumer legislation. A quick threat to call Fair Trading usually has them doing the right thing.

As for Hardly Normal, I recently had a 10 month old oven that just died. I called them and they said as it is under the 3 year warranty period, bring it in and they will replace it. I did so, and walked out the door with a new oven, in less than 10 minutes. No questions were asked. They plugged it in, found it did not work and simply gave me a new one from stock.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've also had great service from Harvey Norman, and Bunnings. Took a chainsaw back about a month after buying it. They just gave me a new one there and then. Sometimes the chainstores are the best when returns/replacements are concerned. Harvey Norman Stores are franchises, so the culture of the staff working there is down to the franchisee and not necessarily the same everywhere.