Thread: D750 question

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

D750 question

I have now started my learning curve, not too bad
    But I cant understand the viewfinder layout. The 51 points light up when the auto/manual button is held in, but the points vanish, except for the selected one, when the button is released.
    The outline of the 51 points is lit with tiny dots, but all the focus points are missing.
    I would like to have them all in view so it would be easier to see where your heading with moving the box in use.
    Any ideas, the manual is not much help.
    Regards
    John
    Nikon D750, Sigma 105mm OS Macro, Tokina 16-28 F2.8, Sigma 24-105 Art, Sigma 150-600C,
    Benro Tripod and Monopod with Arca plates

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm! You're right about the manual

If it's anything like my non-Nikon camera, when they light up you should be able to select which one to use for Manual focus.

(I just use the centre one)
    CC, Image editing OK.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I can see from page 329 of the manual it seems to work similar to other Nikon models John.
    When you have 51 points selected the "active" point should be highlighted and as you move the focus point selection on the 4 way controller the point should move and remain highlighted.
    I am not really understanding what yours is doing differently.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Publication1.jpg

The box moves around the screen with the 4 way controller, but just one box.
    Last edited by J.davis; 30-12-2014 at 10:35pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you want to be able to see all 51 focus points when you are selecting focus point? I'm not sure it's possible .
    It's my understanding that if you have 51points selected then you have focus in all 51 points so no point selecting a single focus point.

If you have 9 points selected focus is within those 9 points and all 9 points move when the af/m buttton is held and you use the selector button. When you release the af/m button only the centre of the 9 and the dot around it move. Similarly the same thing happens when you have 21 points selected. So it follows that all 51 points move the same way but you just can't tell because they take up the whole focus area.
    If you want to select a single focus point you should use af-s s or af-c .

I could be wrong but it makes sence to me ☺
    Jj

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J.davis View Post
    Publication1.jpg

The box moves around the screen with the 4 way controller, but just one box.
    I think I know what your issue is but I don't know how to fix it on the D750. On the D700 we have an AF Area Selector on the rear. If it's set to the square (auto), you don't see anything, if it's set to tracking, it will move, if it's set to the single point, it won't move. My guess is yours is set to auto.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After many hours on the web, I found this

Nikon D750 - 012 AF display.jpg

Mr Nikon has replaced the box's with little dots, except for the centre one

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So Nikon have changed the way in which number of focus point selection is displayed.

Instead of displaying 51 squares if you choose the 51 point, it shows one square in the centre and all the other points as points(not squares).

I'm guessing that the image above is of the 9 point focus selection tho.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just collected one today. I'm pretty sure I saw a setting to use dots or boxes. I'll try find it tonight when I get a gap

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, two things to look at. In the Autofocus settings on the menu, there is an option under A4 to select points or squares for group. I.e. go to A4, go to group and then select squares instead of points.

Second place to look is the by holding down the button on the front of the camera where you select MF/AF (RHS if you are looking at the lens from the front of the camera right next to where the button is to change lenses). If you hold down that button and rotate the front and rear dials (both dials do different things) and play with those.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Selecting the AF mode and number of focus points works the same way as your D7000. The button on the lower left front (below the lens release) allows you to change your settings.

With the AF mode button pressed, the rear dial changes the focus mode (AF-A, AF-S, AF-C), and the front dial allows you to select the number of focus points. Nikon did change the way the selected points are displayed however. When selecting the number of points, all the points show up as boxes in the viewfinder, but when actually using autofocus it appears with only the chosen main focus point as a box, with the remaining points as dots only. I don't believe you can change this.

There is one more focus point selection option on the D750 called Group, which uses four focus points in a cross configuration. This is the one that custom menu item A4 lets you change from box to dot display.

Ando
    Shane