User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Any adapters from Canon lens to Sony Alpha?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any adapters from Canon lens to Sony Alpha?

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone knows of an adapter for a Canon 70-200L IS2 F/2.7
    It's for my friend's wedding, I'll be taking the photos, and so just wondering if there's an adaptor for this to Sony Alpha?

If not, I'll probably just use his camera too, alongside mine.

But was just wondering.
    David Tran
    Sony a55
    Sony DT 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6
    Now sits as an antique as it no longer focuses properly.

Wishlist: Sony RX10iv (or RX10v if it ever comes out)

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure if you can get them natively (I'd reckon most likely not)

As your Sony is an A mount, and sure you wouldn't get infinity focus either!
    Canon's EF mount is shorter than the Sony(Minolta) A mount.

Now I say this with a big BUTT! in the mix tho.
    The difference in flange focal distance is on 0.5mm, so while you won't get pure infinity focus, you will probably get 'enough to do a wedding'*

* enough focus depth could be anything really, and dependent on the lens itself. That is, how far beyond infinity this Canon 70-200 can go itself too. you may be able to focus at say 10m or 20m as infinity .. or if the lens can exceed infinity focus, it may even focus at infinity. not having this hardware I couldn't confirm for 'ya obviously!

But some lenses can focus past infinity and are designed to do so for the purposes of (say) really hot conditions and whatnot.

Although! .. if the option to borrow the camera is available too .. this would be the most ideal situation for 'ya. Manually focusing a 70-200/2.8 at the extreme end of the range wouldn't be an easy thing to do for a (possibly)fast paced situation, where capturing a decisive moment could make all the difference.

I've never checked for adapters for EF to A mount(no reason too) .. and as the rear of Canon's lenses are rather large, I can't see it being an easy native adaptation to offer either.
    The major issue tho would be aperture control. From my limited understanding of Canon lenses, they seem to control aperture electronically(no mechanical linkage) .. so even if you do find an adapter the lens would be stuck wide open(I think!!).

You could try to adapt the Canon to a T-mount, and then adapt the T-mount adapter to an A mount fitting .. but why bother and all you end up doing is puching the lens further forward of the mount(and hence losing even more focusing depth too!).

Would it be worth the effort? ... highly doubtful.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the information Arthur - looking at options. Guess I'll do a quick crash course on my friend's 5Diii while at the airport. :P