Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  6

Thread: Photo reconstruction

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Photo reconstruction

Hi all, I have seen on here some great examples of members being able to recover photos. I understand members have their own projects but if someone can assist me & have a crack at a pic of my dad I would be very grateful.

Regards Filter.
    Filter

EOS R & 16-35 f4 EF, 70-200 2.8 RF
    Olympus OMD-EM1 Mark II 7-14 12-40 40-150 Pro lens.
    EOS 7D Mark II - 70D - Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM, 17 - 55 2.8 Lenses

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you mean? Have you got a scan of it? Perhaps post it up and we can start from there.
    Also, what editing software will you be using?
    Am.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 17-12-2014 at 1:32pm.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply AM, I thought it a bit cheeky to just throw it up without some sort of interest. My intention is to distribute the photo to my siblings as a cleaner pic....Drat, I have to resize the pic's & I have to head off to night shift, will work on them tomorrow...

Filter

I like my computer more than my camera farmmax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put it up. I don't mind doing photo restoration, and there are certainly others here that can. Put as big an image as you can up, and at least we can have a look at it and try some edits for you. Then if you want a larger one done, you will have to email the larger file directly , or put it on the web somewhere so it can be downloaded.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got some help here on a very old photo for a lovely elderly lady that was a friend of my Mothers. The people here were amazing with how much they improved it. Rick especially. Like Farmmax has said, put up the highest resolution copy you can, or place it somewhere for people to download to work on.
    Canon EOS 60D ..... EFS 18-200mm f/3.5 - 5.6 IS - 430 EXII Speedlite - "eBay special" Remote Control Unit - Manfrotto 190XPROB w 804RC2 head.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rather than put it up directly to AP, as we have limits regarding filesizes, put the largest version of the file you have onto dropbox or similar then post the link here on AP. Working on a file under 250KB and 1024pixels is harder than working on an original file of several MB and 3000-4000 pixels as it gives us a lot more to work with.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on what involvement you want to have in it yourself, too. I would suggest post a preliminary pic here,
    just to get an idea of the situation. You could just photograph it (if you don't have a scanner), and perhaps later
    you could post (to Dropbox, etc as Rick suggested) a larger, maybe 16-bit version for people to try.

If you are wanting PP practice, this would be a good way to go. Perhaps you could implement the suggestions of
    others who help and turn out a finished product yourself for your sibs.

Am(just thinkin', is all!).

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    It depends on what involvement you want to have in it yourself, too. I would suggest post a preliminary pic here,
    just to get an idea of the situation.
    I think this is an extremely sensible suggestion. See what people come up with on the small version and that will let you decide where you want to go with the photo. If you like the results on the small file, you will probably like them even better on the large file size. You may even have a go at editing it yourself, if you get ideas from suggestions here on what to aim for.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the support ppl's, there are two scanned pic's. One scanned in colour & one grayscale....

Colour
    002.jpg

Grayscale
    003.jpg
    Last edited by Filter; 18-12-2014 at 4:20pm. Reason: Image not loaded

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Link too long for server so cannot see the images, Filter.
    Waz
    Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who matter don't mind don't matter and those who mind don't matter - Dr. Seuss...
    D700 x 2 | Nikkor AF 50 f/1.8D | Nikkor AF 85 f/1.8D | Optex OPM2930 tripod/monopod | Enthusiasm ...

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You only gave me a 95kb jpg to work with, but with a much larger file I would have a lot more latitude to edit without seeing editing artifacts become evident. Especially on his face where removal of the noise/grain from the original has left a very softened version. With a larger file I would have been able to edit this noise out whilst retaining a lot more facial detail.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ricktas; 19-12-2014 at 9:32am.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the originals not bad... so i really dont know what your after, cleaned up a bit etc

- - - Updated - - -

having problems AGAIN

- - - Updated - - -

ok..... it aint working , having problems inset image, browse, pic the image, nothing pops into preview???

- - - Updated - - -

needless to say, it looked bloody amazing lol

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

oh and yes i press upload lol

- - - Updated - - -

ok i give up

- - - Updated - - -

long live

http://www.birdphotographyworkshops.com.au

Canon R7, and a lot of other bits and bobs

Fishy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't give up. Have a rest then retry. It just means you have not hit the right combination yet. cheers Brian
    Cheers Brian.

Canon 7D Kit lenses EFS 18-55 IS EFS 55-250 IS EF28-90 Canon EF 2xll Extender Sigma DG150-500 OS Speedlight 420EX. 580EX

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Filter. When I started doing PP (for others, restoring old photos such as and much worse than this) I thought,
    "Wow!! This Photoshop is great. I can do anything!!" Years later I would revise some of the shots I did for them
    using techniques I had learnt by practise. I reckon that about now I could have a serious go at a photo.

The good thing about this one is that it is tonally OK and not tattered. So all you'd have to do is to get some
    good tonal distinction (?separation between near tones), and sharpen it to a moderate extent. The greyscale
    scan (256 tones total) should adequately cover the gamut of this pic. For a (reasonably good negative scan, perhaps
    a 16-bit rendition would be better, but that's just by-the-way).

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again all, I guess I just wanted the image to be tidied up so I could blow it up for a 8 X 10 photo. It was grainy as is. I have added a couple of links to photobucket, hopefully the images will be bigger. The images were 879kb & 235kb after scanning. I'm not sure how to get a bigger working file.

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/v...ps400c6119.jpg

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/v...pse4cc4ebf.jpg

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is my play for now. I'll probably come back later and go yuk! I removed the shadow behind him because it wasn't a good look, but left a fair bit of texture in so it looked more realistic and for printing you get away with it better than on the screen.

photo_edit.jpg

Paulheath - we can no longer insert the image via the quick reply screen. When you upload an image on the Quick Reply editor, the image is uploaded into your "My photos", but doesn't come into the post. To get it there you have go to the Advanced mode, and from there to the Manage attachments link. That will bring up "My photos" and you will see the uploaded photo there. Drag it onto the bar below your photos and it will then be inserted into your post. It's a real pain! Now I just go to the advanced editor to do the post and insert the image there and it all works out It would be nice if someone could fix it

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the best l could do.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your input & efforts ppls, appreciated. I went into CS6 to have a look & try, boy there's one way to loose half a day. A brilliant program if you can get a handle on it.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Filter View Post
    ...I went into CS6 to have a look & try,...A brilliant program if you can get a handle on it...
    I started with PS3 (??I think), then went to PS7, and now CS2. It sure takes a while. The ideas behind it and other editing programs are vast.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just took farmmax's post and added noise reduction

photo_edit_filtered.jpg