User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Antarctica flight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Antarctica flight

My partner and I are booked on a flight to Antarctica shortly.

I plan on taking my D750, 20mm/1.8, 28mm/1.8, 50mm, 70-200 f/4. I'll throw my Passport colour checker in but it might be a bit much to ask them for a calibration shot through the window!

I don't normally ask these types of questions, preferring to work things out for myself, but has anyone been on one of these flights and if so any tips?

Cheers

Ando
    Shane

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haven't been on an Antarctic flight, but across part of Greenland and N Canada. You'll be in a normal jetliner, I presume.
    I'd take a lens that'll do wide to moderate telephoto - and 18-200 drifts to mind. Scenery should be pretty bright, so minimum
    f-stop shouldn't matter; f/4 should be quite OK. You won't have much time to change lenses, and the (at least double and possibly
    optically compromised) window view - will you have to share this with others? - won't do favours to your best lenses.

But it sounds interesting, and I'll look 4-wd to the pics you get.

PS: Buon viaggio
    Last edited by ameerat42; 15-12-2014 at 8:25pm.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    before you start taking photos, go out and clean the window
    cc and enjoy

Photography is painting with light

K1, Pentax 18-250mm zoom, Pentax 100mm macro, Sigma 50-500mm, Pentax 28-105mm
    Velbon Sherpa tripod Photoshop CS6

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should have clarified - it's a Qantas Antarctica flight. They use specially modified 747's with larger windows. My partner and I have both seats so no issues with access to the window. Also plenty of time flying over the continent so changing lenses shouldn't be an issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mudman View Post
    before you start taking photos, go out and clean the window
    Actually I think my biggest concern is that the window will be marked or scratched!!

I like my computer more than my camera farmmax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't they normally rotate passengers around regularly during the flight? When I looked into it a few years ago, this was one thing that put me off. The other was lectures by people to keep you entertained. I think I'd rather read a book or watch a video. A small amount of lectures, OK, but not hours and hours of them.

Enjoy your flight, and I hope there are plenty of photos for us when your return.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did this flight a couple of years ago.

You do change seats through the flight but a) if you have a window seat between the two of you for half then it helps and b) even when you don't have a window seat people are happy to share the time.

You won't need to wide a lens as you will be a long way up. a telephoto is a benefit and maybe even an extender depending on the length you have.

There are some lectures / information genreally provided by someone who has spent time in the camps on the peninsula but they take up a very small amount of time. I went New Years Eve so there was a party atmosphere with a band and lots of fun to be had.

Any scratches on the window don't show up in any images unless they are major. Take or utilise a blanket or covering as there are some wonderful opportunities for sunrise / moonrise / star shots if you can eliminate the light leakage from the cabin that flairs on the windows.

Have agreat time and don't expect to get much sleep during the journey.

Vince
    Vince

Space; The Final Frontier

C & C encouraged on all images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Couldn't think of anything worse to spend so long cramped in a plane only to land where you took off from I would love to visit Antarctica though and I hope you have an enjoyable experience