Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: 750 v 800

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

750 v 800

If you had the option, would you have a second hand D800 or a brand new D750?
    Not going on condition, only operation and results.
    Regards
    John
    Nikon D750, Sigma 105mm OS Macro, Tokina 16-28 F2.8, Sigma 24-105 Art, Sigma 150-600C,
    Benro Tripod and Monopod with Arca plates

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    depends what you shoot I guess

Me. I'd pick the D750
    Why? Still in warranty for starters
    Also faster fps, upgraded AF module, files a more reasonable size, flippy screen (saves lying in the dirt & on rocks)
    In all honesty, if you are using good glass, the majority of people couldn't pick the difference between 24 Megapickles & 36 Megapickles

Just my opinion
    Matt
    CC always appreciated

My Website
    A Blog of sorts

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it depends more on other factors .. not just IQ and file sizes I think.

Me personally, I prefer the form factor of the D200/300/700/800 type camera bodies. Much more comfy for me to hold the camera by the grip.

While 36Mp can be a wasted effort if you only ever reproduce images at 900x600 or print at A4 type sizes .. the reality is 24Mp also is.

I'd be more inclined to prioritize the ergonomics aspect of the decision. Apart from a few slight differences, the D750 is in effect similar in body type to the D7000/7100, and (going by your sig) you'll feel at home immediately with it in your hand.
    if you have a host of accessories(such as remotes and other such stuff) that require a particular connection type, the D750 will use the same types as the D7K does.

Other points to consider.

* Second hand D800's could be a dodgy proposition due to the early AF misalignment problems.. so be sure that has been sorted properly, or that you will get after sales service!!

*36Mp is initially a massive wow factor, but the novelty soon wears off. While there is a difference in processing between 12(or 15)Mp files of roughly 20-30Mb compared to the D800's 36Mp 75-100Mb files ... it's not massively slower , a second or two or something like that.

(I don't have a D750, but have downloaded many test/sample files .... so my take so far on the differences in file quality, with the point to be noted that I only use Nikon's software too!

At 100% pixel view, D750 files look cleaner at any high-ish ISO level(say 800 and above). As ISO is raised, the difference increases slightly.

If you size them the same, I think the D750's images still have a slight edge in terms of noise when viewed at magnified levels at higher ISO settings too.

eg. Even at 100% view for a D750 file, which equates to about 82% magnification view for a D800 file, at ISO6400 the shadows in the D750 look slightly less (colour)noisy.
    Detail rendering is similar. Mind that I view these in Nikon's software with both NR OFF(totally using software) and Off ... off in camera, but NR still applied(which can be turned off in software).

.... and no, those two setting of OFF and Off are not a typo. Even tho you may have NR in camera set to off .. this is only totally true at up to certain ISO levels. (eg. ISO 1600 or 3200 or whatever) above that, even with NR set to off, the camera still applies NR(eg, say at ISO6400). With (some of)Nikon's software, you can turn that small amount of NR applied completely OFF

I reckon if you want a change of scenery .. go with the D800 .. better yet look for a D800E .. the slightly extra detail definition can mean less sharpening required in PP .. makes PP slightly easier to complete.
    If you like the size and feel of the D7K .. D750 will feel same/similar .. most(major) buttons and dials will be where you remember them to be.
    If you like using remotes and other such accessories(GPS?) .. you may have to reacquire them all over again if the cables/connections aren't interchangeable.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies, I like the d750 in hand, but I thought the d800 might produce a better image.
    Most of my reading suggests that the cameras are about equal in image quality, with the d750 catching up due to tech increases over the last few years.
    I used to have a d300 and am familiar with the layout, as well as the prosumer range.
    I will wait till after xmas to see how the d750 goes with use (in the forums), and make my mind up after that. Seems they are about on par with what I want.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J.davis View Post
    If you had the option, would you have a second hand D800 or a brand new D750?
    Not going on condition, only operation and results.
    D750 in a heartbeat !

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J.davis View Post
    I used to have a d300 and am familiar with the layout, as well as the prosumer range.
    I will wait till after xmas to see how the d750 goes with use (in the forums), and make my mind up after that. Seems they are about on par with what I want.
    Since you've had this camera .. D800 feels like a 'more solid' version of the D800. Save for the larger prism housing .. they're close enough to identical in your hand(grip and controls).
    The only thing I don't like on the D800 is the position of the Mode (M/A/S/P) selector button. On the D300 it's a simple reach for your index finger. On the D800 you need to contort the index finger back(towards you) as well and reach further across. In doing so(in a hurry) you always accidentally press the exposure compensation button too as it's along the path under your index finger.
    With the D300 because, this button is closer your index finger is arched above the exposure compensation button and therefore it's a far more ergonomic layout.

This is my only dislike of the video feature(which is the reason I waited for the D800 and not get a D700!).

My comments have a slightly biased element to them, for these sorts of reasons:

* I need a dedicated AF-On button : + for the D800
    * I like the larger (round) viewfinder : + for the D800
    * Larger handgrip (makes holding it easier) : + for the D800
    * 10 pin port for accessories : + for the D800

For your current situation the D750 makes more sense in that it's more like the D7000 so it's an evolutionary next stage.

What I like in the D750(from specs, not personal experience) is Wifi and it's articulated screen. Would have been nice to have been touch screen too .. but Nikon are cheapskates or idiots
    (rumour is that the D5500 will have a touchscreen).

Would the D800 give you 'better images' .. probably!
    if you crop a lot .. think of it in this way;

1/. A 100%(pixel view) crop on the D750 is equivalent to an 81% crop on the D800.

2/. Viewed the other way around .. if you crop a D800 image to 100%, to get the same magnified outlook on the D750 would require enlargement to just over 120% view.

viewing it from the 1st situation, any detail differences will be small to the point that it makes no difference. Even the slightly noisier look of the D800 images at high ISOs .. I reckon could be up to 1/3Ev advantage to the D750

But looked at from the 2nd situation .. the D800 images(if shot well) resolve very good detail .. the D750 images doesn't look so good because for the same crop magnification the image is enlarged to 122%.
    So to answer the question of 'better images' would have to be an almost yes .. but only if you crop to point where the pixel magnification exceeds 80-90% in D800 terms.

For the bulk of what would be considered 'general photography' .. the answer would be more likely a No!

Considering Nikon's recent history, I'd have to say the D750 could be one of the most reliable and stable cameras they've produced.
    1. the tech within is all proven .. it comes from various other cameras that have been around for a while now.
    It's basically a D600 with the Wifi of the D5300 and the tilting screen from a D5000

2. they simply can't afford any more stuff-ups on their service side of the business. So, if a problem arises in some form .. you can almost bet that they have learned from the D800(AF) and D600(dust) experiences and will be a lot more flexible than in the previous 2-3 years!!

On the point of AF, one thing that was hard to get used too going from Dx to Fx was the spread of the AF points in the viewfinder. With Dx they are basically all across the screen. With Fx, they're more bunched up in the centre of the screen. The difference is quite noticeable.
    I know that there is a slight difference between the D800 and D600/610 bodies, in that the bunching for the D6xx twins is even more concentrated than the D800 bodies.
    If the spread of the AF points is important to you as well .. you may be better off checking the two side by side(say in a store) to view this for yourself.

When I purchased the D800, this was the first thing that struck me compared to the D300.
    I also compared the D600 at the time, but didn't really notice the differences between D600 and D800 tho.
    My choice of the D800 was simply for the body design/ergonomics.
    You do eventually get used to the AF spread differences tho(well I did) even tho I still sometimes use the D300 too.
    Last edited by ricktas; 14-12-2014 at 11:14am.