User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: When does copyright expire

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When does copyright expire

Hoping someone can help me here. I wanted to take a photo for my challenge and decided to use part of an old photo as a prop. Then I started to wonder about copyright as I did not take the image nor do I know who did.
    It is a photo of my grandfather and a few other servicemen . I think it was taken in Singapore some time in 1942. .
    I checked on Google but got a little confused ..I am now under the impression that copy right ceases on photos that were taken prior to 1955 . But then I found another statement which said copy right ceased 70 years after the death of the person who took the photo.
    Can anyone tell me if I can use part of a photo that was taken that long ago
    Thanks for looking
    D610 and D90 with a 16-35mm f/4,a 70-200mm f/4 ,a 300mm f/4 +TC11 convertor, 18-200mmDX and 85mm micro Dx.

Sally...CC always appreciated

My Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/salnel

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Any Australian photo, published or unpublished, anonymous or attributed, taken before 1 January 1955 is out of copyright and in the public domain. Photos taken after the 1 January 1955 had 50 years copyright.

New rules came into force in 2005. For photographs which were still in copyright on 1 January 2005, or which were created on or after that date, copyright now lasts until 70 years from the end of the year the photographer died.

Thus photos taken after 1 January 1955 were still in copyright as at 1 January 2005 and the new rule applies to all those photographs.
    Last edited by ricktas; 27-02-2015 at 10:38pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, rick. I will double check with my mother but I am positive the bit of the photo I want to use was taken in about 1945. I just didn't want to do the wrong thing