Thread: wireless remote shutter release

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wireless remote shutter release

Hi all
    we have been using a hahnel cable release on our nikon cameras for a couple of years and have been satisfied with its usability except maybe for the cable sometimes getting in the way until recently the cable broke, so now we are thinking about upgrading and purchasing a wireless trigger release for our D800 and d300s. We have been googling them and there seems to be a couple which receive the best reviews and are cheaper than the nikon branded one. The 2 we have been looking at are the vello wireless shutterboss timer remote and the smdv rfn-4s shutter release. We would really appreciate any thoughts and experiences you have had using these 2 or any alternate wireless shutter releases you have used and the best place to purchase. We use our current shutter release for taking tripod mounted photography such as birds, flowers etc but also use the other functions including bulb, interval and multiple exposure photography. thanks
    Cheers Gayle & Colin

Give Life your Best Shot.
    http://flickr.com/photos/2blooms/

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't help you with the two brands you mentioned there, but for wireless remotes, I can recommend the Phottix brand.

I have two both wireless 2.4Ghz types(ie. not IR), and they've worked perfectly for years now.

The one I'd recommend the most from Phottix would be the Plato, not because it performs better, the other I have is the Cleon, but the Plato takes AAA's whereas the Cleon needs some silly ABC123 type battery for the reciever end of the pairing. Hard to find and annoying to have one just for this device.
    Apart from the annoying battery type on the Cleon, it is otherwise is hard to fault.

That smdv rfn-4s device came up in another thread on here, and looks interesting.
    My only concern with that particular device type is the need to connect it directly to the 10pin port on a D300/D800 type Nikon .. thus not allowing any other device to access this port at the same time.(as well as another, more obscure, mechanical concern).

My primary concern is that I always use a GPS device(actually a Bt receiver) that connects to the 10 pin port, and the device I use has a 3mm audio type plug that allows connection to another device(ie. my remotes).
    This way I have my cake(the GPS) and I can eat it too(the wireless remote).

Whatever you do get tho .. I suggest that you be wary of a device type where the receiver to camera connection is of a fixed type.
    That is, that the receiver unit connects via a cable, and a cable that is readily available, easy to replace .. or can be supplemented with another design type if the need arises where you either replace your camera with a different model or if Nikon ever decides to cease using the 10 pin port on any camera model you may be interested in the future.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 Vote for Phottix. I actually have the Plato (Canon version), as noted by Arthur above, one of the major reasons was that both transmitter & receiver use AAA's. It's also a very neat and 'streamlined' unit that fits well in the hand/pocket. Good range, I've personally used out to 50m, the little led's provide feedback so you know it's working as well. And generally has been very reliable and foolproof.

Regards
    John

EOS 1D MKIII x2, EOS 6D; Samyang 14 2.8 IF ED UMC, EF 17-40 4 L, EF 24-70 2.8 L, EF 50 1.4, EF 85 1.8, EF 70-200 2.8 L IS, EF 100 2.8 macro, EF 400 5.6 L, 1.4x II TC, EF25 ET; Speelite 580EX, 430EX; Nissin Di866II; Yongnuo YN560i/ii & YN460ii, YN622C's, RF602's; Gitzo GT3541XLS + Markins Q20i; Manfrotto 055XProB + Giottos MH1301; Manfrotto 680B c/w Kirk MPA-1; Tamrac Pro5, ThinkTank Airport Accelerator, Airport Antidote V2, Pro Speed Belt + Racing Harness + Modular Skin Set; Lightroom 5.3, Photoshop CS5.
    myflickr

Scarlet letters aren't that bad.. I rather like L

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys I will start googling the phottix, the battery option of AAA's is somewhat more appealing and something I haven,t considered