User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4

Thread: Is this possible? Shooting jpeg and RAW...with a difference!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this possible? Shooting jpeg and RAW...with a difference!

Hi all,

When travelling I have found myself in a bit of a conundrum...

Shoot in jpeg, accepting that it's going to be a little over/under exposed, so that I can upload straight to the blog?

Or, shoot underexposed in RAW, and hold off uploading until I get home (weeks later) knowing I can recover detail from the shadows in LR or PS?

To date I've gone with option 2 as I prefer to get the best out of my images before posting online.

Thinking about it though, does anyone know if the D7000, or any other camera, gives you the option to simultaneously shoot JPEG and RAW, with the JPEG at 0 EV and the RAW underexposed by 0.7 EV (for example)?

This would seem to me to be an ideal combo, allowing you to upload images on the run, while also giving you the perfect RAWs to refine when you get home.

Thoughts?

Andrew.
    https://forkandfoot.com

Nikon D7000
    Sigma 10-20mm ~ Nikon 18-55mm ~ Nikon 55-200mm ~ Manfrotto 190XProB ~ Manfrotto 488RC2
    ~ LowePro Top Load Zoom 1

I like my computer more than my camera farmmax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the canons give the option of shooting jpg + raw in the one shutter press, but not at different settings. I'd assume Nikon has the same. Have a hunt in your manual.

However, there is usually no need to shoot jpg + raw, because many camera's have a full size jpg embedded in the raw file. It is very easy to get the jpgs out by using the free Instant jpg from raw Install the software, then navigate to the folder the raw files are in. Right click on the folder and from the menu choose IJFR, choose the size jpg you want and it will instantly pull all the jpg's out and put them in a folder in the raw file folder. It is extremly fast and has no trouble at all extracting 100's jpgs in under a minute.
    Last edited by farmmax; 11-12-2014 at 2:09am.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Im not 100% sure about the D7000 but I would think so, my work D200 has the option to shoot Raw + Jpeg (Fine, Normal,Basic) my D610 has similar options. Hold down your quality button and rotate one of the thumb wheels, should solve your problem me thinks
    Regards

Wayne

Nikon D610, Samyang 24mm 1.4, Tamron 24-70 2.8, Nikkor 50mm 1.4G, Nikkor 70-300mm 4.5, Manfrotto & MeFOTO tripods, Ninja pano head & LEE filters

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since the exposure is determined by physical parameters (shutter time, aperture, sensitivity) these cannot be different between the on-board JPG and RAW generation. Exposure compensation, exposure measuring, flash compensation and possibly some other settings translate to adjustments on these physical parameters and thus carry no importance at all in postprocessing. They are registered in the RAW just "because it can".

All other parameters are post-processing settings and thus, even though they are registered "as shot", they do not really alter what is captured (it just is meta-data that describes what should be done with the data).

That means that no, when shooting in RAW + JPG, the parameters cannot differ between JPEG and RAW images.

Now, when shooting raw you have more dynamic range than jpeg to play with. Some in-camera settings (specifically the "Auto Lighting Optimizer", "Highlight Tone Priority" and "Picture Styles") use this extra dynamic range to alter the JPEG - but not the RAW. But that's about all. Again, these parameters don't alter the actual physical exposure which means they could be switched on and off in postprocessing at will. Note that they may or may not be interpreted by non-Canon raw converters - I guess not (and thus they could, in some weird way, provide a difference between the converted RAW and in-camera JPEG results).
    Last edited by jev; 11-12-2014 at 2:47am.
    Ciao, Joost

All feedback is highly appreciated!

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd look into Jev's suggestion.

Camera can't shoot raws at one exposure and jpgs at another, even if you shot in bracketed mode.
    Two things you could try.
    Shoot in raw+jpg mode with bracketing turned on and upload the brighter jpg file, and delete the brighter raw file and the darker jpg file .. and archive the darker raw file.

Otherwise, using Jev's suggestion .. once you have shot the raw file, you can go into the Retouch menu and use the Dynamic lighting touchup feature.

Retouch menu is the second last [MAIN] menu item ... D Lighting should be the first sub menu in the subsequent menu page. If you keep the final file to sane file sizes(for web) you can get surprising shadow recovery using the in camera D-Light touch up feature.

Once you've touched up the raw file to your liking, save the image .. and you have just saved a new file in jpg format for uploading, and your raw file is left untouched.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks jev, that makes perfect sense. I hadn't considered playing around with the RAW in-camera and will have to look into that.

Arthur, many thanks as well. While the thought of 6x the images makes me shudder, that solution would also work quite well. It might even force me to be more selective with my shots!

Thanks also Wayne and farmmax. Much appreciated.

Andrew.