Page 1 of 17 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: C'mon let's wake this forum up

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

C'mon let's wake this forum up

Very quiet forum here! Surely there are more mirrorless camera users on Ausphotography than this?

Post in this thread if you are into your new wave camera gear, say hi. This thread can be a kind of register of DSLM (i.e. mirrorless) camera photographers.

I got into it with my new Lumix kit almost a year ago. Sold all my Canon gear and went 'cold turkey'. How about you?

We are the only growing segment in new camera sales right now -- it's time we started talking!

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe it is because they are EVIL ?
    Last edited by Kym; 11-12-2014 at 1:31pm.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arg View Post
    Very quiet forum here! Surely there are more mirrorless camera users on Ausphotography than this?
    Probably are but images are worth a lot more than numbers.

Post in this thread if you are into your new wave camera gear, say hi. This thread can be a kind of register of DSLM (i.e. mirrorless) camera photographers.
    Is there something extra special about mirrorless photographers? Sorry, I don't quite see how the choice of gear makes someone a better photographer than others.

I got into it with my new Lumix kit almost a year ago. Sold all my Canon gear and went 'cold turkey'. How about you?
    Well, I kept all the "old tech" DSLR stuff and added a new "mirrorless" body with the theory that those who blindly abandon one system for another are misguided sheeple. Make use of all tech available is my theory ------

We are the only growing segment in new camera sales right now -- it's time we started talking!
    Probably a few smart phone manufacturers would debate that -----

Seriously Arg, if you are that hung up on gear I reckon you need a reality check and possibly a change of hobby.
    Sorry, just saying it as I see it.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haaa Kym. Well I got the Fuji X-E1 with the kit 18-55 lens. I thought it was for holidays as I was getting tired dragging my nikon and lenses around. and you know what, overall it is a real pleasure using and carrying it. Missed a few shots re slower AF speed but I am a happy camper. It outperforms my D7000 in the ISO department too.....just.
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm here !

I have never owned a DSLR . When I decided to get more seriously into photography , just under a year ago , I went straight from a P&S to an Olympus OMD-EM1 and love it . I can't compare to DSLR cause I never owned one and I don't think I ever will now . I can carry my camera body , 12-40mm lens, 60mm macro lens ( and 40- 150mm when I get it ) around my waist in a small waist bag , with the tripod strapped underneath. Why would you go for anything else!
    The name is Brad ......

OMD EM-1, OMD EM-5MkII, m.Zuiko 12-40mm Pro f2.8, m.Zuiko 40-150mm f2.8 Pro , m.Zuiko 60mm f2.8 Macro, m.Zuiko 17mm f1.8 , Lee Filters

Account Closed
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    Probably are but images are worth a lot more than numbers.

Is there something extra special about mirrorless photographers? Sorry, I don't quite see how the choice of gear makes someone a better photographer than others.

Well, I kept all the "old tech" DSLR stuff and added a new "mirrorless" body with the theory that those who blindly abandon one system for another are misguided sheeple. Make use of all tech available is my theory ------

Probably a few smart phone manufacturers would debate that -----

Seriously Arg, if you are that hung up on gear I reckon you need a reality check and possibly a change of hobby.
    Sorry, just saying it as I see it.
    Despite the unbridled aggression, WELCOME Andrew! I look forward to your next, and much more positive, post.

Out of the last 10 threads you started, half were about the gear, so.....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    Maybe it is because the are EVIL ?
    But are they so EVIL, that, like Voldemort, no one dare mention them?

Thanks, Kym, for chipping in.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bcys1961 View Post
    I'm here !

I have never owned a DSLR . When I decided to get more seriously into photography , just under a year ago , I went straight from a P&S to an Olympus OMD-EM1 and love it . I can't compare to DSLR cause I never owned one and I don't think I ever will now . I can carry my camera body , 12-40mm lens, 60mm macro lens ( and 40- 150mm when I get it ) around my waist in a small waist bag , with the tripod strapped underneath. Why would you go for anything else!
    Hi Brad, that's quite a high-end kit you have stepped in with! No wonder you are so happy.

Sometimes a new mirrorless user has some issues adapting or learning the new kit (here's the ideal place to discuss it!) but you look to be a real success story.

Ausphotography Regular Nick Cliff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arg I agree the mirrorless evolution is very rapid and will gather pace as more people who are not totally professional replace their cameras. I have been told that at 5 years or so that is generally when cameras start to become more unreliable.The difference is astonishing with the Olympus cameras in my experience between the EPL-5 upgrading to the EP-5. Very interesting times in this hobby for me at least in the last few years with the Micro 4/3 system especially being able to use many classic manual focus lenses so easily.
    Regards Nick.
    Last edited by Nick Cliff; 10-12-2014 at 11:14pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Brad, that's quite a high-end kit you have stepped in with! No wonder you are so happy.

Sometimes a new mirrorless user has some issues adapting or learning the new kit (here's the ideal place to discuss it!) but you look to be a real success story.

Thanks Arg. Well , with any technology I figure I may as well buy the best I can afford , even if it can do more than I am capable of at the time . That gives me scope to learn, room to grow , and not regret later that I should have bought the higher quality. I'll get more years of life out of it before I upgrade , if at all . I'm loving this new hobby and realise even though I have learnt a great deal in 12 months I still have so much to learn. I think the great think about this hobby is you can always keep learning and growing . I just wish I had got into it years ago .

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going mirrorless is like trying to convince your friends that your Hyundai is really a BMW because you put a BMW badge on the back. If god used a camera it would be a DSLR (not just any DSLR, a Nikon)

I'm going to run away really quickly now before people find my home address.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MissionMan View Post
    Going mirrorless is like trying to convince your friends that your Hyundai is really a BMW because you put a BMW badge on the back. If god used a camera it would be a DSLR (not just any DSLR, a Nikon)
    "Gear is good ....Vision is better" David Duchemin , one of my favourite photographers at the moment.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arg ... I have started a few Threads here and on the CC Forums with plenty of images on them.
    So where have you been ?

I am into new camera gear sadly not with the m4/3 anymore

got into it with my new Lumix kit almost a year ago. Sold all my Canon gear and went 'cold turkey'. How about you?
    I bought my E-M1 with the 12-40mm lens 10 months ago followered by the 60mm macro lens and of course the FL 600R Flash
    And if you read the Threads I have started you would understand why I have lost interest in my camera.

And no way would I sell any of my DSLR gear actually I bought a new DSLR five weeks ago.

To Me Its The Best.

Start Talking you write WHY I ask. Less Talk and more action I say.
    Get out there and start taking some photos so we can see how good your camera is
    Last edited by Mary Anne; 11-12-2014 at 12:25am.

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Anne View Post
    I bought my E-M1 with the 12-40mm lens 10 months ago followered by the 60mm macro lens and of course the FL 600R Flash
    And if you read the Threads I have started you would understand why I have lost interest in my camera.

I don't read every thread Mary Anne , some times I can go days without logging in , so I must have missed what happened to your OMD. Why is the Oly out of favour ?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Anne View Post
    Thanks Mary Anne , I have not had the rear wheel or green spot problem ( touch wood!) but did have the soft rubber coming off on the back around the picture display button. I just put a little super glue under it and glued it back down myself. Hope I don't have any problems as I don't have another camera to play with if this needed a service. Still at least service sounds good.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I kinda forgot this forum was here. I tend to post my mirrorless stuff in the sparsely posted Oly forum or the various CC forums .

Sent from Earth via Tapatalk
    Matt
    CC always appreciated

My Website
    A Blog of sorts

Ausphotography Regular Nick Cliff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From reviews online it seems many top end new cameras are more prone to problems in the first year or so of production. I recall one review were they had to replace the top brand camera a few times just to complete the review. To be fair it seems as complexity is increasing so are the initial problems to the point an American company posts online reviews of their camera and lens hire performances (as many of you would already be aware) and most brands seem to be having issues now. Sorry to hear of Mary-Anne having so many problems with the EM-1.
    Last edited by Nick Cliff; 11-12-2014 at 9:03am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    recently purchased the A7R for my landscape work but i am in no way getting rid of my canon gear as i still feel more comfortable with it
    Canon 5D MKiii / Sony A7Rii / Canon 16-35mm f 4 L /Canon EF 24-70mm f-2.8 L USM / Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8 L IS USM / SIGMA 50mm F14. ART

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased a Fujifilm FinePix X100S a few months back, great little camera, can't complain I use it as my walk around town camera when I don't feel like lugging my DSLR around, bought all the accessories for it so I could shoot landscapes but my DSLR just keeps taking precedence
    http://www.danielakininphotography.com
    Canon 5D MKIII, Fujifilm FinePix X100S
    Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
    Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM
    Canon EF 24-105 mm f/4L USM
    Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM
    Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM

Account Closed
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have noticed that DSLM owners tend to fall into one of two categories: it's your main camera, or it's your second camera.

Those who make it their main camera tend to be a lot more enthusiastic.

To those who make it their second camera -- the impression given is that all they wanted was a small walk-around option without a small sensor. Well, you are still welcome even if you are in need of an attitude adjustment!

Personally, I am not so gear-oriented or high-budget that having two camera systems is sustainable or sensible for me. A compact camera or a bridge camera for a second camera, sure, but an entire second system?

So, if your DSLM is your second full-system camera, how's that working for you? Expensive? Is it better than having a Fuji X100-type walk-around, like Daniel above, or a FZ1000-type bridge for a second camera?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think if you have invest a lot of time and money into a camera system , a natural reaction , when someone comes along and suggests there may be something better out there is to be a little defensive. Let's face it the aggression exists between Canon and Nikon users which are both DSLR systems as each feel they have made the right choice . In reality I think the quality of most of the main camera brands on the market exceeds the quality of the photographers using them so brand is not that important.

Even though I have a Olympus OMD as my main camera , I'm still thinking of getting a second "walk around" camera , but it would be something even smaller like a high quality P&S or even a Oly PEN EP ??? with a very small lens. Something I could put in my pocket , as I find even the OMD is a bit big to have on you ALL the time , and ultimately the best camera is the one you have with you.

Page 1 of 17 123411 ... LastLast