Quote Originally Posted by MissionMan View Post
..... but I'd challenge anyone here to show how shutter shock or mirror slap may have destroyed an other amazing photo. Yes, they may have a minor impact.....
I'm sure I read that the shutter shock on the A7r is of a serious concern in some genres(I'd say macro more than anything else).
I think it may have been Luminous Landscape where I saw some images where they compared the issue of affected images against non affected images.

I think the 36Mp may have added to the issue too.

D810 has EFC, I've never read any articles(or repute or note) where shutter shock is an issue with either of the D800 twins tho.

From the info I've found on the topic of shutter vibration in the A7r, it's much worse than it is from the D800E, and that most assume that it's due to the greater mass of the D800's body(which makes sense).
I read Swifty's comments re the shutter vibration issue on DSLRs vs mirrorless cameras, and my initial thoughts were that it'd be due to the mass of the entire system.
I had a horrid time in my early days with the D70s and 500/8(mirror lens) in that I can't ever remember getting a sharp image with this combo, except the odd flukey shot here and there.
After much mucking about, I found that adding weight to appropriate areas of the camera/lens/tripod setup helped a lot.
Mirror slap was the main issue, but the dinky vf on the(pentaprism) D70s didn't help.
A new focus screen plus a 1-2 kg lead shot bean bag helped massively.
Also the mounting of the camera/lens to the tripod made a difference too.
An arduous post on the topic is probably best avoided in this thread tho .. but in some cases less weight isn't necessarily better!

D800E is not unaffected by shutter vibration, it just appears to be to a much lesser degree than the A7r.
In my 5000 images with the D800E, I can't say that shutter shock has ruined any photos of mine. My lack of ability and due diligence has tho!

Does it make a difference to images .. depends on the circumstances really .. but I wouldn't want shutter shock affected images at high magnifications!

Apparently Sony has updated the shutter mechanism in the A7II(as well as the lens mount).