Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Anyone tried Geocaching?

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone tried Geocaching?

Has anyone given Geocaching a try? It seems to me that it's an activity that might blend well with photography.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I have tried it, courtesy of my sister and brother in law who are quite keen on it.

While the primary objective of course is to find the cache, it can lead to some interesting places. One cache we found was on a girder under Princes Bridge acoss the Yarra. Not a great photo op. But another we found at the top of the very very steep hill behind the old homestead in the Wonnangatta Valley. Now that was a remote and very photogenic place.

I'd say pick your cache from the many geocaching websites, and chase ones that are out in the country and not under a bridge on the Yarra. The hillier the better.
    Cheers

You don't have to be dead to be a donor.

Education is what remains after that which has been learnt, has been forgotten.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's geocaching and geocaching. If you would restrict yourself to the traditionals, it would probably combine with photography pretty well. Just get the coordinates, pick up a good GPS and go. I don't really agree Granville though, there are just as many caches in cities or non-hilly locations that feature photogenic scenes as there are out in the hills.

Now, there's also "advanced geocaching" where you need to solve puzzles or require special equipment. One of my co-workers is hooked on geocaching; he has an app on his phone that notifies him when new caches appear online. Whenever such a notification rings, he jumps up, drops everything he's doing and starts working on it immediately. "FTF" seems to be his credo (there seems to be a kind of geocaching-competition in which he scores pretty good). Those caches however often don't combine well with photography.
    Ciao, Joost

All feedback is highly appreciated!

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You're welcome to come for another cuppa and you can even take a photo next time.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post

You're welcome to come for another cuppa and you can even take a photo next time.

Ha ha!! Very good Mark!

I haven't tried Geocaching yet. I heard an interview on the radio and it sounded quite interesting. It seems like a good way to get out and about to interesting spots you might not otherwise visit. Chuck a camera into the mix and it could be all the more fun. I've added a hand held GPS to my Christmas list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a few around town and we have found several just for fun particularly the gosling creek ones. Made for a nice morning walk using one of the geocaching aps.