User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: Olympus 60mm f2.8 Macro Lens problem

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Olympus 60mm f2.8 Macro Lens problem

I am on my home from a photo dive trip on a liveaboard cruiser in remote West Papua in Indonesia, on day one of the ten day trip I attached my Olympus 60mm f2.8 macro lens to my OMD EM5 camera ready to head underwater for some macro photography, as usual before placing the camera in my underwater housing I tried to take some rest shots to make sure all was working ok, to my horror all I got was a message on the LCD screen that said "Please check the status of a lens" I cleaned the contacts on the camera and the lens however I have not been able to use the macro lens at all since this message appeared, I have attached all my other telephoto zooms, wide angle lenses etc and they all work ok except the 60mm macro, I am sitting in a hotel room in Bali on my way home to Perth, I have been on line and managed to do an online update on the lens but this has not fixed the problem
    This lens is approximately two years old and has given so problems in the past.
    Im interested to know if anyone else has had this problem and how it was remedied.
    Thanks
    Gary

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gary I use that Lens on my E-M1 and have taken quite a few shots (make that a few thousand) with it since I bought that macro in April.
    Up to date I have never had any problems with it, and sorry I cannot Help more.

- - - Updated - - -

Looking around on line and there is * Reset the lens* mentioned, also check the plastic mount though is it plastic ?
    Last edited by Mary Anne; 26-11-2014 at 6:42pm.

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brownegaz View Post
    I am on my home from a photo dive trip on a liveaboard cruiser in remote West Papua in Indonesia, on day one of the ten day trip I attached my Olympus 60mm f2.8 macro lens to my OMD EM5 camera ready to head underwater for some macro photography, as usual before placing the camera in my underwater housing I tried to take some rest shots to make sure all was working ok, to my horror all I got was a message on the LCD screen that said "Please check the status of a lens" I cleaned the contacts on the camera and the lens however I have not been able to use the macro lens at all since this message appeared, I have attached all my other telephoto zooms, wide angle lenses etc and they all work ok except the 60mm macro, I am sitting in a hotel room in Bali on my way home to Perth, I have been on line and managed to do an online update on the lens but this has not fixed the problem
    This lens is approximately two years old and has given so problems in the past.
    Im interested to know if anyone else has had this problem and how it was remedied.
    Thanks
    Gary
    Gary,
    This error is usually an issue with the lens not talking to the camera - usually either contacts or the flex cable wearing on a zoom (of which yours is not)
    When my 9-18mm did that on my EPL1 a couple of years ago, it started only doing it after 14mm, but then eventually it stopped altogether. My other Oly lens worked fine
    I had got water splashes on it many times as well, so I can't remember exactly what my cause was - I can dig out the repair docket
    The fix? - Unfortunately I needed to send it off to the Olympus Repair Centre in Sydney for repair.

They did fix it & cost was fairly reasonable from memory.
    Matt
    CC always appreciated

My Website
    A Blog of sorts

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies I will contact Olympus to see about getting it fixed.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I eventually got the lens returned from Olympus in Sydney with the comments cleaned and tested and all OK soI have no idea what the hell was wrong with it, I sent off a letter asking for a "bit" more information but never received a reply so Im none the wiser. I have used the lens since it was returned and no problems to date. There was no charge for this even though I had owned the lens for almost two years so theoreticaly it was out of warranty.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gary Thanks for getting back to us, and its good to read that you are have had no problems to date.
    I have found Olympus a great company when you need help I actually rang them and asked about one of my problems when not enough info came back on the report.