User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Using third party grip with Black Rapid ring

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using third party grip with Black Rapid ring

I picked up a third party grip for my D700.
    Seems well built, but all plastic of course. Not sure if there is extra reinforcing around the tripod mount hole

I use a Black Rapid strap. My question is -

Would you trust the third party grip tripod mount hole with Black Rapid ring to hold the weight of D700 + 80-200/2.8 while swinging in the breeze?

Anyone had/heard of any failures?
    Matt
    CC always appreciated

My Website
    A Blog of sorts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doubling up on the mount to the camera could be an issue. Extra forces etc.
    I have just had a $450 repair to my D90 because the mount for my strap came loose. My strap is a 'Focus' brand similar to the Black Rapid.
    Normally I check the bolt that goes into the mount quite often but we had been walking all day on Hamilton Island and I stepped up onto a boulder as the thread came out and the camera tumbled into the scrub from about 1.8m off the ground.
    Keep checking the bolt into the mount!
    Neil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a similar grip for a d7000. This is the second, the first failed on the screw into the tripod mount. I disassembled it and found the screws holding the plate inside had stripped the female thread into the plastic so I would never trust it with the weight of the camera. However the price online from china complete with a double capacity battery is a lot less than buying a single battery here.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm assuming that the 80-200 is of the older push-pull zoom type(and hence no tripod collar).

If it's the tripod collared AF-D type, then why not attach the strap to the collar instead.

Having had the 80-200 AF-D model myself, I wouldn't want any of my cameras (no matter what camera and what material it was made of) with that lens hanging off the mount freely like that.
    I would (almost)always be sure that the lens is carrying the camera .. not the other way around.
    Although in saying that, I have mounted that camera lens combo via the camera(on a tripod) on a few occasions, but only for a short time(a few minutes tops) and always tried to be extra careful too. Mainly for testing various stuff, not for everyday situations.

If you have the push-pull type lens .. sorry can't offer any advice or experience on the topic of your issue.
    (except that theory would dictate that you could do so, up to the point where the situation failed you in some way. The problem is trying to predict this point of failure)
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    I'm assuming that the 80-200 is of the older push-pull zoom type(and hence no tripod collar).

If it's the tripod collared AF-D type, then why not attach the strap to the collar instead.

Having had the 80-200 AF-D model myself, I wouldn't want any of my cameras (no matter what camera and what material it was made of) with that lens hanging off the mount freely like that.
    I would (almost)always be sure that the lens is carrying the camera .. not the other way around.
    Although in saying that, I have mounted that camera lens combo via the camera(on a tripod) on a few occasions, but only for a short time(a few minutes tops) and always tried to be extra careful too. Mainly for testing various stuff, not for everyday situations.

If you have the push-pull type lens .. sorry can't offer any advice or experience on the topic of your issue.
    (except that theory would dictate that you could do so, up to the point where the situation failed you in some way. The problem is trying to predict this point of failure)
    Thanks Arthur. Yes it is the push-pull version. I have been swinging it off my br strapped d3000 for a few years now and nothing has given way. But I'll wager even the d3000 is stronger plastic than my cheap grip.