Thread: Watch what happens when kids are given a film camera - priceless

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watch what happens when kids are given a film camera - priceless

This video is really funny but makes me feel incredibly old as I remember when it took a week to get your processed film back not 1 hour. These kids who have only ever taken photos with a mobile phone are perplexed by the complexities of a film camera. Watch their reactions and comments.

https://fstoppers.com/film/kids-try-...how-they-44890

Lightbender
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice. What would have been really cool was if they showed the kids how to develop film into negatives and then to produce prints in the darkroom. That would have blown their young minds. Particularly the one who couldn't wait an hour just to see a picture.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Love it.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What would the kids reaction have been if they were told that they would have to wait a week instead of an hour to get their photos back?????
    Canon 550D/7D - Canon 24mm IS USM - Sigma 10-20mm - Canon 15-85 IS USM - Sigma 28-300mm | RS60E3 cable remote | B&W ND110, Hoya CPL, ND2, ND8, Cokin P series H250A GND 'kit' | An embarrassingly cheap SLIK tripod.
    Software: PS CS5

I like my computer more than my camera farmmax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was a good watch. It would have been good to see their reaction to film processing, and the excitement of seeing it appear in the developer.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How many of these kids would have ever taken any photos without modern technology?

Loved their common negative reaction to not being about to see the photo straight away. That may say something.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    negative reaction to not being about to see the photo straight away. That may say something.
    Exactly. Kids don't see photographs as long lasting documents but instead as something that vaporizes quickly. That's the power of the social media I guess... "quick, snap a selfie, post it online, laugh about it and continue".
    Ciao, Joost

All feedback is highly appreciated!

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought the video had that slightly 'manufactured' feel to it(ie. young actors, not real kids) in a scripted manner .. but still amusing to see it.

I also thought it was a bit sad that they either didn't fully inform the kids, or edited out, the fact that the first truly useful 'digital photography' was the scanning of films or prints for viewing on a computer, and that it was only until only a few years ago that digital cameras have surpassed films as the best way to digitize images.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ^jeez AK, they don't understand waiting for film to be developed. And then I have to take the time to scan my selfie, and then ....

Ausphotography Regular Nick Cliff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great fun, the anticipation of the results re films being developed was not unlike receiving a nice present to my mind, regards Nick.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good fun, imagine the look when you tell them you had to wait a week - but you had to pay to get it processed - then pay to get them printed before you could look at them
    canon 5D mark III tamron 24-70 2.8 vc, 50mm 1.8, tamrom 70-200 2.8 vc, remote tripod
    perseverance

Rob