Quote Originally Posted by MissionMan View Post
I have seen this a lot in business. In many cases it works well for business because its an operating expense as opposed to a capital expense. Its easier to get approval for opex over capex. For small businesses it works well from an affordability perspective and ties in with the whole cloud model. I.e. I don't have to install a sharepoint environment on my own servers and then worry about the hardware getting too small when I grow, I just buy users as and when I need them and cancel when I don't.

I don't mind the subscription model too much, I think it makes it more affordable for a lot of people. Adobe Create Suite is $2500 but people can get away with $50/month and always have the latest greatest version. You can also cancel when you don't need it so if you need it for 6 months, you can pay for it for that period and dump it when you're finished.

I don't think its so true that you can cancel your subscrption when you feel like it. You can but talking to an Adobe rep they have said you will be up for 50% of the remaining months you have left. So if you have 6 months left you will have to pay up 50% off that total.