Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Selling images from blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Selling images from blog

Hi Guys

Recently I have had 2 companies contact me through my blog and ask to buy high resolution images to print on christmas cards for their clients.

The first sale I asked for $100 and they happily deposited it into my bank account.

The second company is quite a large real estate company and I have asked for a bit more money (the image is better).

My query is: to sell images to a company, should I be setting up an ABN? I.e. is it legal for them to purchase my image without me being a business?

The first company asked no questions but i'm wondering...if this continues to happen, i'll probably get asked for an invoice sooner or later.

I called the ATO and they said as it is a hobby and I won't earn over $75,000 i'm not required to create an ABN or register a business name to claim income. But I figure surely the businesses would ask?

Bit unsure on this one. Any help appreciated.

Thanks!
    Canon 6D, Canon 550D, Canon 24-105mm, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 85mm f/1.8, Canon 100mm Macro f/2.8 IS USM, Canon 10-22mm f/3.5-5.6

www.imogenbrandrakers.wordpress.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Ice,

I have no experience in running a photography business but I can give you some general advice. You can sell your images (or anything else that you own for that matter) and issue an Invoice under your own name without needing to be registered as a business. You can't issue a Tax Invoice though because you are not registered for GST. You only need to register for GST once you turn over more than $75K per annum.

So, all of your invoices will need to be just headed "Invoice" and you can't charge any GST on the invoice.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ice. If the matter persists, ask detailed questions of the Tax Office. Ultimately, they are the ONLY ones
    you will have to ever answer to. If you have an accountant, you can ask him.
    Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's another tip for you. If you don't supply an ABN, many companies will deduct withholding tax. Ask the ATO about that.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys.

This company just paid by bank deposit no worries again. No idea how my blog is suddenly getting all this traffic.

I will consult my accountant.

Cheers!

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sold a car to a business and they financed it through commbank. because I wasn't able to supply a tax invoice and abn they got me to fill out a form which said something to the effect that I am unable to get an abn and am excluded from supplying a abn on an official form that looks like it comes from the ATO.
    You definitely do not have to supply an abn to do business if under the threshold but you also can't ask for gst either.
    A Birth Certificate shows that we were born.
    A Death Certificate shows that we died.
    Pictures show that we lived!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/knumbnutz/
    http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/neilmorgan

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got paid around $300 for my images that I have sold btw. Don't short change your self. At least you can start higher