I bought a Sigma 10-22mm and received it a little over 24 hours ago. The increased perspective and the DOF are just fantastic and I can't wait to give it a run in the real world. However, my first test shots have resulted in blown out highlights. Even with shots indoors, an open door or window or overhead light will blink to say that it is blown out.

My question is, is this typical of ultra-wide lenses because of the lens writing cheques that the sensor can't cash, or am I doing something wrong? I understand how to take and process HDR shots (although I only just thought about using the in-camera HDR function - doh!). Maybe I just need to wait for the Golden Hour when the contrast is lessened. Graduated filters seem so old school but if that is what it takes, I am happy to have a crack.

I just would love to take some landscape photos with this lens like some of the brilliant landscape shots that I see on this site. So, do I need to bracket shots with this lens or can I do single shots without filters.

Any and all advice welcomed. Cheers.