Thread: Does anybody use a UPS?

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anybody use a UPS?

UPS - Uninterruptible Power Supply.

I have a now non-working one, a NOVA 600 AVR.

It went well for about 3 years straight - never off. Now it's never on!!

Pulled it apart and found the battery had split along one edge. It has a tiny voltage now of 0.5 V.
    It is a 12 V lead/?acid type.

Ran a multitester along it, carefully inspected it for blown fuses, got nothing, and found none. The two fuses were
    intact. Of course, there's a heap of intervening electronics, but it all looks intact too.

Now the Q:
    Does anyone know for sure how to test one? A new UPS costs about $130, while a new battery costs $35.

Any ideas?

Ta, Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use them at work & at home & we need to replace batteries at 2-3 year intervals. Battery World does an easy and cheap replacement.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ta, Fruengalli. I only hope it is the battery. There's a BW not far away. I might try that option. Do you know if they just PLAY DEAD when the battery goes? No lights, nothing.
    Am.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Ta, Fruengalli. I only hope it is the battery. There's a BW not far away. I might try that option. Do you know if they just PLAY DEAD when the battery goes? No lights, nothing.
    Am.
    From experience we bang another battery in & away they go. The units are anywhere from 3-6 years old & a battery seems to do the trick. Maybe take it to BW & they can check it for you?

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ta again. Last time they were a bit reticent to test something (I've long forgotten about) for me, but at worst I might end up with a spare battery for a new unit. (???)

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one, been using it for almost two years and have not had any problems with it, guess its not old enough to die yet

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What brand, M A? On recalling, I think it was closer to 4 years than to 3 before it stopped.
    If I have to get another, I'd look at other brands too.
    Am.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No idea Am I am on holidays in NSW be back home late Monday.
    Last edited by Mary Anne; 25-10-2014 at 11:40pm.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK. Ta. Enjoy the break.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Searched through my PB Album and found this.

I like my computer more than my camera farmmax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always had a UPS/conditioner on the computers except for a short time a couple of months ago. In the short time this computer was not attached to a UPS, I had my first ever motherboard burn out

The UPS just went dead, so I bought a couple of replacement batteries for it - They are just the 12v 7ah ones commonly used in fire alarms, and dirt cheap. When I replaced the batteries the good old General Electric UPS happily started up again. The last set of batteries were around 5 years old, so no complaints.

It is surprising how often the UPS cuts in even if for a second or two. If the heavy duty angle grinder, or the welder get plugged into the same circuit, there are a couple of warning beeps from the UPS. I also run the computer happily when there are storms around. It has to be a drastic storm crashing over head before I go and pull the plugs.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ta. Found a link for them: http://www.cctvsupplies.com.au/produ...es-pid335.html
    Will check out.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have 3 very reliable ups units here Am due to this area being notoriously prone to power failures ranging from seconds to days.

One unit, a Belkin 600va is about 4-5 years old and the other 2 are Eaton 3s 700va models about 2 years old. Worth every cent and trouble free so far.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Austog Irregular Regular markdphotography's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not used them at home but I do have a good surge protector that is more suitable for my application. I did have one at work and an audibe beep sounded. Replaced the battery and it still did not work (large motorcycle battery). You may be up for a new protector but I did not replace mine at work as that PC is used to drive my computerised mat cutter that does not get used as much lately due to the GFC (Global Framing Crisis). My understnding is that the two small 9V would only give you time to shut the machine down and do not have enough power to run the PC, monitor and other external drives. It is a case of assessment of risk but new operating systems do recover from forced shut downs a lot better than say XP. A surge protector is another issue altogether as I still use it at home.
    Cameras capture light, minds capture images.

Website Facebook

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by markdphotography View Post
    I have not used them at home but I do have a good surge protector that is more suitable for my application. I did have one at work and an audibe beep sounded. Replaced the battery and it still did not work (large motorcycle battery). You may be up for a new protector but I did not replace mine at work as that PC is used to drive my computerised mat cutter that does not get used as much lately due to the GFC (Global Framing Crisis). My understnding is that the two small 9V would only give you time to shut the machine down and do not have enough power to run the PC, monitor and other external drives. It is a case of assessment of risk but new operating systems do recover from forced shut downs a lot better than say XP. A surge protector is another issue altogether as I still use it at home.
    Mark, most, if not all ups units are also surge protectors. The entire function by design of a ups is to allow sufficient time after the power is cut to save any open works and to shut down the computer. Typically about 10 - 12 minutes depending on the rating of the ups and the load from the computer.
    As for assessment of risk, yes, most operating systems will recover well from a crash shutdown but if one has an image being edited with no ups connected and numerous editing steps in place that aren't saved at the time of a power failure you will lose those editing steps. A ups will save that lost work grief, save the computer having to recover from a crash situation and those with the appropriate software supplied with the ups will shut down the computer automatically after a period of time that you program into the software. To me it is a no brainer with the risk assessment, the small price paid for a ups unit eliminates a lot of risk.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, ta for all the replies. I will first get a new battery - if cheap and no other reason not to.
    If it's not that, then a new UPS and a {[("spare")]} battery, I suppse.

I like my computer more than my camera farmmax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a big difference between a surge protector and a ups, particularly one that conditions as well. My computer lost it's motherboard on the surge protector. My UPS runs the computer for around 15 minutes without external power. Plenty of time to save and exit if need be. Usually the power comes on within 5 minutes anyway, so I usually keep going for at least that long in the hope I won't need to shut down. It also has software to automatically control the computer as well when power outs, but I don't bother with the software.

I've always sourced any batteries (we use the same ones for our electric fence energisers) from the same place on Ebay, as I don't exactly have a lot of access to shops. They are usually delivered to my door in under 48 hours.

I wouldn't buy a spare battery for my UPS as it took 5 years to get through the first ones The "spare" battery would probably have died by then as well

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ta Max. It's not so much that I want a "spare", as I'd likely end up with one as a result of the
    initial "cheap option" - let's see if it's only a battery. They won't let you just try them out in the store,
    and of course they have no spares lying around out the back!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have three between home and work, the two Belkins cost me about $400.00 each from memory and both died at about 4 years old, I got new batteries ( 2 in each ) for about $40.00 each I think. Remember if you replace the batteries yourself you are playing with very hight voltages be very careful, they do output 240V.
    And yes I thought I had a blown fuse or something too as they suddenly died but new batteries have them back good as gold again
    Last edited by davsv1; 27-10-2014 at 6:21pm.
    Regards

David

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ta David. It might not have to end up with a spare battery and new UPS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast