User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  6

Thread: I'm trying Open Office IT'S FFREE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm trying Open Office IT'S FFREE

After getting my new system up and running awhile ago I loaded Office 2000 on but due to DOCX, and not wanting to by 3 new versions of MSO$'s
    I thought I'd try Yes Open Office. My only concerns were if some spread sheets I had been working on were going to transfer over successfully on to an organizations system I help out with at times. But they did so my wife is quite happy and is slowly working her way around it all be it slowly as she uses 13 at work. Which also means more money for camera gear. . So if your low on $'s and wanting some new Office software give it a go IT'S FREE.

PS. You Don't have to buy a copy off Ebay.
    Nikon, D750, D5000, 35mm f/1.8, 18-55mm & 55-200mm kit lens,
    Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8, Sigma 120-400mm, Sigma 150-600S, SB-910, Metz mecablitz 58 AF-2
    Manfrotto 680B Mono + 234RC tilt, 055XPROB + 804RC2.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep! Gd on yer. Been using it for years, also for the DOCx reason, but simply for portability.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had Tried it a long time ago but never really needed or did much with Office but am doing a bit more now so was pleased to find it so interactive with Office.

I like my computer more than my camera farmmax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some government departments use Open Office. It is a very good substitute for Office. I use Open Office on the laptop. It is surprising how many people don't know about Open Office, so it is good you have reminded us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the drama with docx?

I'm using open office also, again because of price. I did buy Office many many moons ago and lost track of the serial, Microsoft wasn't able to help me out so I vowed to never go back to them then.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The old MS Office I have does not open them. That's my drama.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should be able to get a update that fixes that.

We had the same problem at work until they updated.

Having said that though, open office still wins out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OpenOffice is a pretty good alternative to MS Office. I think LibreOffice (a fork of OpenOffice) is better.

Cheers,

Terry

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My issue with DOCX was that I would have to waste time trying to find the right download and try to get it up and running. So I thought instead of worrying about it I would give O/Office ago.
    I also have gained a couple of relatively new laptops plus an older unit which I reloaded with Win7, without Office on them, so would have cost me nearly $500's free's good enough for me. I don't need all the stuff that MS has in it that a lot of people don't use anyway and I don't want Cloud.

It all comes back to $'s that I don't have so if by mentioning this, saves some one else on the site some $'s then I'm only to pleased to assist.

Regarding LibreOffice first time I've heard of it so will have to ask my IT son in-law about it as well.so thanks for your thoughts and great to hear others are happy with it.

Cheers for now.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using LibreOffice, not that different from OpenOffice if you ask me. Except for one thing: font embedding. LibreOffice has it, OpenOffice doesn't.

Note that both are not perfect in handling .docx documents. Where they thoroughly lack however is in their presentation tools (and, to a lesser extend, in their spreadsheet functionality).
    Ciao, Joost

All feedback is highly appreciated!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using Libre Office on my Mac 'cos I can't stand the included Pages and didn't want to buy another copy of Word. I chose Libre Office over Open Office (they are both based on the same code) because of the way the licensing works - basically any features added to Open Office can be grabbed by the Libre Office developers and added to their software, but not the other way around. They are both good options though and you can't beat the price.
    -- Mister Q

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use open office on the desktop and have no issues with it at all. I also use MS office 2003 on my laptop and found a compatibility pack on the MS site that enables opening and editing of files created in newer versions of office