User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  7

Thread: Daylight Savings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Daylight Savings

Now that daylight saving is here for most of us in the eastern states and others across Oz......

1. - does that make any differences to your pic snappy schedule, ie.....do you still go @ the same time or delay it for that extra hour
    2. - does it give you more time to go out or do you feel it makes it more difficult

I find that it gives me that little bit more time to get to places that I would normally have trouble reaching for the light conditions......just wondering

Cheers,

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Seeing I work 9.5-10 hours each day, the longer evening light is great. Gives me time to finish work, get home, take the dogs for a walk, have something to eat, and then head out.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I need to go to bed 8pm for early get up (work) I hate dayliht savings
    Wayne

Canon 7D and stuff
    Olympus OMD - EM10

https://www.flickr.com/photos/34371137@N03/

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't worry me much. Only the heat of summer peeves me some.
    Anyway, last year I saved some daylight. Put it in a dark-proof box to use during the following winter.
    Went to have a look, and BLAST! There was a tiny hole and the dark leaked in. Ended up with a bit of
    photon ash on the bottom of the box.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It means I have to change the time in my cameras settings!
    And we have to buy new curtains every three years as they seem to fade faster.

I like my computer more than my camera farmmax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate it... I hate it..... I hate it

I can't explain to all my four legged babies why their feed times should be shifted, so I don't bother switching. It's just a problem if I have to go into the outside world.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I certainly get the issues for our farmers ^ . Esp those that milk cows etc.

I always find it amusing when people say they hate daylight savings cause the days are so hot and long. Move the clock back an hour and the days would still be as long and as hot, just human perception of the time has shifted. Or as THIS GUY in Albury suggested that daylight savings caused droughts ??

I like my computer more than my camera farmmax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There have been suggestions of all of Australia going onto permanent daylight savings, but half an hour ahead instead of an hour. The half hour daylight saving to apply 365 days of the year. If we have to have daylight saving, I would find this solution much more palatable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like Daylight Savings.
    You can enjoy the outdoors for an hour longer each day.

Be thankful we do have different time zones in Oz.
    In China, for example, the whole country is on the one time, even though China is wide enough for 4 separate time zones.
    So, if you live in the far west of China, in winter, it is still dark until about 10am!
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    It means I have to change the time in my cameras settings!
    No you don't. Put it on UTC and never bother with it anymore .
    Ciao, Joost

All feedback is highly appreciated!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    being in Qld we dont have to worry about it... until every year of course the "polls" start coming out and everyone complains its so hard to do business with the different time zones.... you really have to wonder why everyone cant just do it, or no one at all.....

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jev View Post
    No you don't. Put it on UTC and never bother with it anymore .
    ...as long as you've got a degree in Timkeeping. So you might be able to calculate 4 o'clock in the afternoon in Australia,
    but how do you calculate the exact time of "brillig" when you're out hunting Jabberwocks using UTC?

Quote Originally Posted by snappysi View Post
    being in Qld we dont have to worry about it... until every year of course the "polls" start coming out and everyone complains its so hard to do business with the different time zones.... you really have to wonder why everyone cant just do it, or no one at all.....
    In NSW we don't have to worry about it because it would do no good to do so

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    but how do you calculate the exact time of "brillig" when you're out hunting Jabberwocks using UTC?
    Well, if you are there, you probably set your watch to local time, so you know the timezone you're in. If local time is *that* important to have on your images, shoot a picture from your watch or a clock somewhere

On a serious note: why would you want to use local time anyway? Does it matter you shot that one image in Merimbula at 15:37 instead of 14:37? Chances are at one time (...) you'll mess up chronological sorting algorithms when switching time zones.

Personally, I'ld rather know where a picture was taken rather than at what time. Now, if you record the position where the picture was taken (GPS tracker!), you'll be able to recover the time difference from the internet anyway if it is that important... (try askgeo.com).

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snappysi View Post
    I guess there are more Cows in Queensland and they voted NO or they dont like to get up earlier.. What Polls every year ?

Living in Melbourne longer than my Home State Queensland I hated Day Light Saving, and was glad to get back here again 21 years ago.
    Hubby hated DLS even more, being a Scaffolder in the CBD of Melbourne many a morning they had to sit around and wait till it got light enough to work, the Boss was not happy.
    Either were the workers as it can get very cold sitting around waiting in the dark, yes even in Summer where they have 4 seasons in one day, and specially when working a couple of hundred metres higher than ground level.
    He wondered why people wanted to take the daylight off the Blue Collar workers in the morning, to give the daylight to the White Collar workers when there is more daylight in the evening that time of the year anyway.

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't worry I usually start work in the dark during the winter but fully enjoy DLS as it is now warmer and enough daylight to begin with to see.