User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Tasmania Trip Advice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tasmania Trip Advice

First up I am going to Tasmania for a couple weeks at the beginning of March next year. Flying in and out of Launceston.

I would like to hike the Overland Track, I find the very high cost a little off putting, but I am still considering it. I'm sure a few members here have experience of doing it so could offer me some tips. Whats the best way to get in and out? Costs etc?

If I decide not to do it, what other good hikes are good?

Then any general Tasmania advice would be awesome. I think my girlfriend wants to spent a couple days down at Freycinet too.

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's definitely worth doing, not quite sure what the high costs are? But this is a stunning wilderness area, great for all different types of photography.

I think you can catch a bus to each end. You can certainly get one from lake st Clair. If you have a hire car you can drive to lake st Clair and walk in to the middle of the park (the labyrinth, or pelion)and stay in one area for a few days and walk out again. ( or catch the boat). That said, the scenery around cradle mt is stunning and not to be missed.
    I could ramble endlessly, but do it, spend the money, you won't regret it.
    And take a raincoat.
    Togs are what my son wears to go swimming.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are looking to do a guided version it can be very costly! Doing it on your own only costs you a couple of hundred doesn't it? A few companies do the drop off at cradle mountain and the pickup at lake st Clair and allow you to transport extra bags to the Hobart terminal to help you feel more human at the end of it all! If yours have time, I'd take the side trip to pine valley hut too, and get the boat from narcissus hut as the walk from echo hut out is pretty boring compared to the rest of the trip !
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I guess it isn't that expensive I just read an article somewhere going on about it. Not too different to any of NZ's Great Walks really.

Any other areas that are worth checking out? I do enjoy hiking and outdoorsy stuff besides photography.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was looking at doing the Overland with a mate beginning of this year on our trip over, but we were put off by the fee!

Will you be going south? If you are, I can highly recommend Adamsons Peak - that was a fantastic hike in many ways and tougher than I thought it would be too! If your into MTB'ing, the singletrail down Mount Wellington is an awesome ride through some spectacular scenery!
    Tim | Capturing God's Creation

Canon 7D | Tokina 11-16 F/2.8 | Canon 400 F/5.6 | Canon 50 F/1.8 | Manfrotto CF Tripod | Cokin Z GND Filters | Lowepro 400AW | GoPro Hero 2 | Kwik Camo

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Tim, I'll check out both. The MTBing sounds good, I haven't done it in a while so would be good to get back in the saddle.

Serial Truant....
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Walking around Dove lake at Cradle mountain is worthwhile, there are lots of other short walks in the area without doing the overland track. If you're in to mountain biking there are some fantastic trails (and scenery) around the Blue Tiers and a new area is just about to be opened up at Hollybank (4th October I believe). Here's a link to Tassie Trails. http://tassietrails.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I loved Cradle mountain for photos. The wildlife and scenery there is amazing.
    Even better if you can stay there an sunset and overnight at the lodge.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can I ask people who have done the Overland Track, how do you get back to your car?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure if you are going down south to Hobart area......but there is an extremely beautiful waterfall in behind Mt Wellington, I think it can accessed via the mountain top if not there is a walking trail about half way along the Huon highway leading out of Hobart. Ricktas should know the point to park.....the highest point on the highway, there is a parking area near an old watering trough.

Other areas are down in the Arve Valley south of Hobart about an hours drive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannachy View Post
    Can I ask people who have done the Overland Track, how do you get back to your car?
    There are shuttles available, for a cost of course. Google would find the options or check out this forum http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=3

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DacrimL View Post
    Not sure if you are going down south to Hobart area......but there is an extremely beautiful waterfall in behind Mt Wellington, I think it can accessed via the mountain top if not there is a walking trail about half way along the Huon highway leading out of Hobart. Ricktas should know the point to park.....the highest point on the highway, there is a parking area near an old watering trough.

Other areas are down in the Arve Valley south of Hobart about an hours drive.
    Did you mean Wellington Falls? http://tastrails.com/wellington-falls/
    There are quite a few waterfalls on Mt Wellington, I have 4 within 10-15 minute walk from my home.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would be the one Rick.....I remember them from my bushwalking days before I got into photography.......mores the pity, they were beautiful.