Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wow, finally the 7D ll appears.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, finally the 7D ll appears.

Good to see Canon continuing the development of higher end APSC bodies.

The specifications will make Nikon users who are hanging out for a D300s replacement weep.

http://www.canon.com.au/en-AU/Person...EOS-7D-Mark-II
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Ausphotography Regular wideangle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many people who own the 7D will be upgrading to the M2? I am not so sure its a massive advancement if you are shooting static objects, aus stock is retailing for around $2500 body online. Will be interesting to see the new sensor and how much better it is over the original 7D. Those who have the 7D, will you be upgrading?
    please ask before PP my images

"Life is what happens to you while your busy making other plans"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wideangle View Post
    ........ Those who have the 7D, will you be upgrading?
    Agree with your comments re static objects (which is all I ever take), so in answer: Nope, can't see any reason to upgrade just to get features I won't use......and as there is nothing wrong with my current 7D I would be better off spending the money on better lenses.
    Canon 550D/7D - Canon 24mm IS USM - Sigma 10-20mm - Canon 15-85 IS USM - Sigma 28-300mm | RS60E3 cable remote | B&W ND110, Hoya CPL, ND2, ND8, Cokin P series H250A GND 'kit' | An embarrassingly cheap SLIK tripod.
    Software: PS CS5

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great News I have waited and saved for years for this camera it is to replace my 40D its worn out.

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Ausphotography Regular wideangle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wanderer51 View Post
    Agree with your comments re static objects (which is all I ever take), so in answer: Nope, can't see any reason to upgrade just to get features I won't use......and as there is nothing wrong with my current 7D I would be better off spending the money on better lenses.
    Yes, couldn't justify the costs of upgrading from a 7D if shooting stills. Reckon it will be a great time to pick up a Canon 7D, can imagine there will be some good price reducations, especially when shops are getting rid of stock for the M2 version.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    7D Mark III will be announced September 2019 before Photokina 2019. Bodies will ship November 2019.

5D Mark IV will be announced March 2015 or later. Bodies will ship weeks later.

Disappointments with the 7D Mark II:
    - No WiFi (May be a reason why there's a SD slot for EyeFi)
    - No 4K resolution video
    - No CFast memory card slot for faster than UDMA7 reads/writes of 167MB/s.

http://www.photographyblog.com/image...GB-470x400.JPG
    Last edited by ricktas; 16-09-2014 at 6:44pm.
    Visit my Flickr, Facebook & 500px and see my photos.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wideangle View Post
    How many people who own the 7D will be upgrading to the M2? I am not so sure its a massive advancement if you are shooting static objects ... Those who have the 7D, will you be upgrading?
    I don't think so. For me, it's a bit between stools. Yes, I wouldn't mind an upgrade on the 7D - medium ISO noise is the main thing I don't like, anything over 400 is pretty crappy - but in practice I don't use the 7D much these days. Instead, I find ways to swap things around and use the 1D IV at every opportunity - it's just so much better in every respect except reach. So the 7D I already have is really not much more than a spare.

I reckon I'll hang on a bit longer and look at a 5D IV or possibly a 5D III on run-out special. That will be the primary landscape & general body, the 5D II can be demoted to wide-angle duty (I'll have to buy a 16-35/4L to replace the 10-22), and the 50D can be retired or given to a friend or something. The 7D (Mark 1) can soldier on a bit longer as a backup bird camera, doubling as my one and only APS-C body for use with the irreplacable 10-17 fish.

Is this wise? Look at it this way: what would I gain with a 7D II over the 1D IV? Ans: nothing, and quite a bit to lose. Better to go with a 5D II replacement and get something more tangible for the money./

How will Canon go with the 7D II? I reckon it might fall a bit flat. Depends on pricing and how good the noise handling is, but for mine it really, really needed to be done in APS-H. Frankly, I'm a bit browned off with Canon these days. If I ever replace my 500/4 with a newer one (not unlikely, it's getting on a bit) I'll be looking long and hard at the Nikon range. I still prefer the Canon lenses, but the Nikon bodies seem to keep on getting better while the Canon ones just mark time and add irrelevant video features I don't want.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    .........How will Canon go with the 7D II? I reckon it might fall a bit flat. Depends on pricing and how good the noise handling is,....... irrelevant video features I don't want.
    Couldn't agree more Tannin. The only people I can see upgrading from MkI to MkII are the 'technophobes' that have to have the absolute latest at any cost....Oh, and of course they would have to love their 7D to even bother.
    Totally agree about the video.
    Last edited by wanderer51; 16-09-2014 at 11:16pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'technophobes' that have to have the absolute latest at any cost....
    Maybe even technophiles! ☺but I know what you mean. Doubtless this will be a great camera but I can't see that Canon have wowed us with the new 7D.
    Last edited by I @ M; 17-09-2014 at 7:11am.
    Alex Delaforce - Teacher / Education and Technology Manager, Gold Coast
    Canon 6D, Canon 50D (died), Tokina 12-28, Tamron 70-200 (VC), Sigma 50.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Couldn't agree more Tannin. The only people I can see upgrading from MkI to MkII are the 'technophobes' that have to have the absolute latest at any cost....Oh, and of course they would have to love their 7D to even bother.
    Totally agree about the video.
    Or those who got an entry level DSLR and decided they actually enjoy this photography 'thing' and want to go from a xxxD or a xxD model upwards. There are plenty around with 500/550/600D and 50/60D models etc that might be ready to upgrade. I don't think Canon or any of the other manufacturers look at the current series model (7D in this case) as being the potential buyers. If I was a xxxD owner looking to upgrade, the 7Dii would be something I would definitely consider.

I reckon Canon know a lot about their demographic, enough to know who the camera should be marketed towards.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Totally agree Rick, not everyone wants to upgrade from every model, there are plenty out there that want a better and faster camera than what they are using now.
    If I had the 7D which I dont, I would not be upgrading to the 7D MK11 unless it was worn out, which is something I tend to do over five years and less which I have done with my 5D MK11
    I am happy to upgrade from my 40D to the faster 7D MK11 camera for the Genres I shoot, hopefully the time waiting for it to arrive will fly.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Or those who got an entry level DSLR and decided they actually enjoy this photography 'thing' and want to go from a xxxD or a xxD model upwards.
    Now that is a very good point! And assuming half-sensible pricing, why wouldn't you? I'm certainly looking forward to replacing my 50D with a hand-me-down "7D II light" (i.e., my existing 7D 1) if/when I get a 5D III or 5D IV. On those fairly rare occasions when I use the 7D with a wide or normal lens instead of a big tele, I'm always faintly surprised to be reminded once again of just how good it is to use for ordinary general-purpose photography. No doubt the 7D II will be even better.

Oh, and by the way, if the medium to high ISO performance is significantly better - say, ISO 800 as clean as 400 on the Series 1 and ISO 1600 like 800 on the old one, I'll be in line to contradict myself and buy the new one.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For my purposes (mainly bird photography) I'd like faster and more reliable AF and better high ISO performance and would be willing to upgrade my 7D to mark II if the price was OK. But if it's going to be $2500, I'd go for a 5D I reckon.
    Canon R5, 500mm F4 II, 24-70 F2.8, 100mm f2.8 macro, MP-E65, 430 EX III Speedlite,Canon 1.4X teleconverter III

My Flickr stream

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reckon you'd have to go a long way to improve much on the 7D 1 AF system, Patrick. Yes, it's inferior to the 1 Series models, but not by much. In fact, if I had to name one great strength of the 7D 1, it would undoubtedly be the AF system - and that's coming from someone who has owned two different 1 Series bodies and used them side-by-side with the 7D. My expectation is that the 7D II AF will be vastly improved during movie shooting (who cares?) and during Live View (which could be more than handy for many, perhaps especially for macro work), but in practice little different during normal use. That's no complaint - as I said, the existing 7D 1 AF is already excellent.

One feature I appreciate is the new battery. According to DPR, you should also be able to use the old battery in the new camera. If true, this will be a boon for anyone with a 7D 1 or a 5D II (and probably any of several other Canon bodies) as you'll be able to keep on using your existing spares, and possibly even mix and match the new, higher-capacity battery in your older bodies. We will have to wait for confirmation of this, however. When you run more than one body, cross-compatibility of batteries and flash cards is important!

EDIT: agree with you 100% about improved ISO performance.
    Last edited by Tannin; 17-09-2014 at 7:33pm.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been quite frustrated with AF performance with the 7D and my 100-400L - especially as I bought the camera for its AF performance. It often hunts when it shouldn't and is quite slow for flight shots. The same lens on a friend's 5D Mk II performs much better. I was thinking of upgrading to a 5D mk III, but if the 7D mk II would do better than my current setup, I'd consider it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Patrick, either you are doing something very, very wrong, or there is something very serious wrong with your camera and/or lens. There is no possible way to get better AD on a 5D II than you get on a 7D. (Assuming both are working properly.) On release, the 7D had easily the best AF system of any non-pro Canon camera ever made; and (pending the arrival of the 7D II which might be even better) it still has by far the best AF system of any Canon APS-C camera made. The much newer full frame 5D III has an advanced focus system which may equal or even better the 7D system (I don't own one and couldn't say either way) but that aside, the only way to get better AF than a 7D has is to buy a 1 Series Canon.

Compare with the 5D II which, allowing for date of manufacture, has without doubt the worst AF system of any Canon DSLR ever made. Some of the very oldest ones, things like a 12-year-old D60, are slightly inferior in absolute terms but not if you alllow for the era of the model. The 5D II has a wonderful, wonderful sensor but the AF system is, frankly, absolute rubbish. My ultra-cheap old 400D had better AF than any 5D II.

I repeat, if you are getting equal AF results with a 5D II and a 7D (never mind superior), something is very, very wrong. Either you are using it in some absurdly wrong way (I doubt that, though the 7D system is complex and takes some learning to master) or (more likely) it is badly faulty and you should get that fixed under warranty.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 7D died when we were driving around Kruger National Park - lucky I had taken my 5D MK III so I didn't have to keep changing lenses, which I eventually had to do LOL. I was looking at buying a 1DX, but the difference in price may make me sway the other way towards the 7D MK II.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This morning I went to Photo Continental in Brissie and left a deposit on the 7D MK 11. I am fourth in line, expected delivery very late November possibly December.
    While there my favourite Saleslady showed me the AF-Setting Guidebook for it only having the one photocopied item she asked me to read it while there I told her I did not have the time.
    I went there to see the Olympus Reps as they had a Olympus Day there and I learned lots of things about my lighter camera.
    And that lovely lady printed up that 7D MK 11 AF-Setting Guidebook, and gave it to me when I went over to say goodbye to her 19 A4 pages with 2 smaller pages on each page.
    That will keep me busy.. Hopefully it will sink in by time that camera gets into my hands.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats great to know that 7D has been upgraded with the latest model. It has been one of the most affordable and best Crop sensor models canon ever had. gonna check out that today.. Thanks again!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast