User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  242

View Poll Results: Are you worried by terrorists in Australia?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

42 77.78%
  • Yes

10 18.52%
  • Haven't considered this

2 3.70%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you feel threatened by terrorists in Australia?

Ausphotography Regular Nick Cliff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I feel it is prudent to read some enlightening books on this area . I was advised to read the book Nomad and did so , I certainly feel as a nation we are incredibly lucky to be in a quiet neighborhood . Jackie Lambie is a brave woman , no doubt about it . in Europe at least one politician and film producer have been killed for expressing similar sentiments and this has resulted in some harsh and rapid reactions after this , with the Dutch having had a few deaths in particular . The real worry is that freedom of expression can be shut down when misguided religious leaders sentence people to death as they may have thought was OK in their homeland , this it is not OK in a democracy .Our forebears have spilt too much blood to usurp the right to freedom of expression , fortunately we will overcome this medieval mindset with rational discussion and nipping problems in the bud .I understand ASIO has done a superb job to date dealing with potential domestic terrorism to date .This is a tragedy for the old Afghan and Turkish communities and other newer muslim groups who want democracy and I hope it will end up being resolved peacefully , as Australians we tend to be pretty good at sorting out these things without too much emotion and with logic prevailing ,regards Nick .

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bcys1961 View Post
    Yes!

"In its submission to the parliamentary inquiry into the government's new multiculturalism policy, The Australian Federation of Islamic Councils has called for Muslims to be granted "legal pluralism"."

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news...517-1eqm2.html
    So, what is actually requested? Do they want the sharia law that most of us would reject, or do they want a dualism that wasn't defined in the article you reference. Why jump to conclusions that are very unlikely. Maybe we wouldn't agree anyway, but it is hardly something to get hot under the collar about.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Axford View Post
    So, what is actually requested? Do they want the sharia law that most of us would reject, or do they want a dualism that wasn't defined in the article you reference. Why jump to conclusions that are very unlikely. Maybe we wouldn't agree anyway, but it is hardly something to get hot under the collar about.
    I am confused? Who do you think is getting hot under the collar?
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is an issue of guarding against the proverbial thin edge of the wedge.
    Islamic ideology is incompatible with Aussie values.

Given even moderates have asked for legal plurality (and it got stomped on - good) we do need to make sure that people know that everyone is equal under Aussie law, one law.

Edit: Agree with Rick. It is a discussion, no one has got personal, just put their opinions, which thankfully we are free to do
    Last edited by Kym; 15-09-2014 at 10:03pm.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree its very unlikely . I would say impossible , as any politician that even expressed the slightest sympathy would be voted out pronto.

They would like a duel Islamic Court System that could administer Sharia Law to solve disputes. No one is saying they are going to start stoning people to death tomorrow , but even some of the "milder" Sharia laws are very discriminatory to woman.

" Mr Soliman said ......."I can see some potential applications in matters of family disputes, inheritance law and so on - that would be a win/win for the Muslim community and the wider community."

A woman cannot divorce without her husbands permission , has no claim over any assets , even ones she bought to the marriage and a woman's word in Sharia court is worth only a half that of a man.

No thanks !!!

It's pretty simple to me . If you want to live under Sharia Law go and live in a country that has Sharia Law.

http://news.smh.com.au/national/govt...0208-1r0s.html
    The name is Brad ......

OMD EM-1, OMD EM-5MkII, m.Zuiko 12-40mm Pro f2.8, m.Zuiko 40-150mm f2.8 Pro , m.Zuiko 60mm f2.8 Macro, m.Zuiko 17mm f1.8 , Lee Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    I am confused? Who do you think is getting hot under the collar?
    Seems to me that some things are being said that are a bit "hot under the collar". Would you not agree?

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems to me that some things are being said that are a bit "hot under the collar". Would you not agree?
    No, just a discussion.
    Interesting that both major parties are supporting action against IS and Milne as usual has not got a clue.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not at all. Everyone has expressed their opinion. No one has called anyone else names etc just cause their views are different. I would say that this discussion has brought forward some good points of view, opinions, ideas. I would say that commenting that people are getting 'hot under the collar' is probably the only provocative comment in this thread about others points of view.

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-1...dicals/5670774

The concern about home-grown terrorism has taken an alarming twist today with death threats being made against a Sydney Muslim leader who spoke out against Australian radicals. Dr Jamal Rifi and his family have been forced to take extra security measures in response to online threats that were posted on Twitter.
    This is the guy that had a BBQ last weekend to open up a positive view on Islam (well done) - so they threaten his life.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    https://www.facebook.com/SevenNewsBr...438685/?type=1

In Brisbane they have sealed the rubbish bins in the train stations. To stop terrorists putting bombs in them.

It seems even if most are not threatened by terrorists in Australia, that our way of life is being impacted even more by the 'threat' that is perceived to exist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    evil is alive and `well` and whether it be these ISIL miscreants, derailed peodafilic (sp?) catholics clergy, large backpocketed pollies, etc.....nothing will change until evil is stopped....and it will be stopped one day because if it isn`t then the whole universe will be murdered, raped, pillaged and made a garbage dump. Rant finished.....make love not war I say....
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

Ausphotography irregular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    Islamic ideology is incompatible with Aussie values.
    I think it can.
    Maybe ideology of any kind can be incompatible with Aussie values.
    True Islam, the same as true Christianity, is a faith of peace. Islamic State (or ISIL) has not much to do with Islam.
    George W. evoked his Christian God when going after Saddam. Did he have true Christian peaceful intent?
    Last edited by Mark L; 15-09-2014 at 10:56pm.

I like my computer more than my camera farmmax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No I don't feel in least threatened by terrorists. While ever we change our habits and behavior to accommodate them, they win. They must be laughing to pieces at the costs and inconveniences we now go through. I'm prepared to take more risks in return for a lot less restrictions in my day to day living.

Don't forget, that to some people in the world we are terrorists. Just ask all the innocent people we bombed and maimed in Iraq and Afganistan simply because a minority of their population don't behave in a civilised manner. I would image we killed far, far more innocent people in those countries than the total of all deaths that the terrorists have inflicted on us. Bit hypocritical aren't we?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Not at all. Everyone has expressed their opinion. No one has called anyone else names etc just cause their views are different. I would say that this discussion has brought forward some good points of view, opinions, ideas. I would say that commenting that people are getting 'hot under the collar' is probably the only provocative comment in this thread about others points of view.
    Me? Provocative? I actually thought that people were getting a bit hot under the collar. After all, even our Prime Minister says that this terrorist threat is nothing to do with any religious community. It is just some criminal elements. Did I get it wrong?

Lightbender
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    Given that IS ultimately want a global caliphate and there are Aussies actively involved -- I'd say those who want sharia is 100% relevant.
    Especially as there are numbers who want to impose it violently.

We should oppose stupid cr*p like this (sharia) every day
    Does that depend on which sharia law, or all of them?

From Wikipedia:
    The Arabic word sharīʿa has origins in the concept of ‘religious law’; the word is commonly used by Arabic-speaking peoples of the Middle East and designates a prophetic religion in its totality. Thus, sharīʿat Mūsā means religious law of Moses (Judaism), sharīʿat al-Masīḥ means religious law of Christianity, sharīʿat al-Madjūs means religious law of Zoroastrianism
    Last edited by Grant S; 15-09-2014 at 11:12pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant S View Post
    Does that depend on which sharia law, or all of them?

From Wikipedia:

I think this is part of the problem . Sharia law is religion based , different religions interpret it differently and this is one area where conflict starts and festers.

Our law is the same for everyone, regardless of what religion you follow. Hundreds of years ago the English separated the church and state , and prospered as a result. Countries to which this system has been "exported" , like Australia , have also in general prospered. Islamic countries that have not made this separation are still fighting battles that are centuries old.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Me? Provocative? I actually thought that people were getting a bit hot under the collar. After all, even our Prime Minister says that this terrorist threat is nothing to do with any religious community. It is just some criminal elements. Did I get it wrong?
    maybe our Prime Minister got it wrong? After all it would not be the first time that religious beliefs held by zealots was behind atrocities. I have many muslim friends who abhor what is being done in the name of their religion, but they understand that religion is behind it. something the rest of us are being told is not the case. We humans have learnt naught since the crusades.

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it may reach a point religion in general should be treated like any right in Australia. It's one which can be taken away when it's abused. I.e. you have a right to drive but if you abuse that right by driving drunk, it can be taken away. I think the best way to deal with those who misuse (and I say misuse because no religion should be advocating violence against others) religion would be to take away their right to worship if they cannot do so in a responsible fashion. By that I mean take away their right to have religious artefacts, take away their right to go to religious places where they can influence people, etc. Perhaps then they might realise that if their actions put others at risk, they could lose the very right they hold dear. It may seem harsh to take away a persons right to go to religious meetings, but we stop paedophiles from going near schools, why wouldn't we stop extremists from going anywhere they can influence others?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So we are getting hot under the collar about Islam

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So we are getting hot under the collar about Islam
    Those words again. No we are discussing terrorism, religion and more. You seem to think a discussion on this means we are getting hot under the collar, when an articulate debate is taking place. Why should people not be able to discuss this in a reasonable and respectful manner, as long as all views are allowed to be aired? No one is getting irate at what another member has posted. A variety of points of view have been expressed, but no-one has been trolled, flamed, belittled for their views. No one has said someone else's views are wrong.

Stifling debate by inferring it is becoming heated, is simply about trying to shut down that aspect of the discussion. People may not contribute their views if they feel the discussion (on any topic) is going to become an all-in argument. IS is a religious based group and any discussion on it, should allow discussion on the beliefs of that group, thus Islam (the extremist version of it) should be able to be included in any discussion, if people want to. It does not mean they are getting hot under the collar, it just means they are discussing all aspects of the topic.
    Last edited by ricktas; 16-09-2014 at 7:50am.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast