User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  242

View Poll Results: Are you worried by terrorists in Australia?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

42 77.78%
  • Yes

10 18.52%
  • Haven't considered this

2 3.70%
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you feel threatened by terrorists in Australia?

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Do you feel threatened by terrorists in Australia?

Of cause something may happen, but do you feel a threat?
    Since there's no commercial flights any more, the security at Mudgee airport has been downgraded.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally no.
    Will some extreme idiots try something? Probably.
    But our security forces have already stopped several attempts.

The much bigger threat is the Greens, their latest "we should stop calling IS terrorists" just shows how dumb they really are
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i doubt that IS has even heard of Mudgee, nice town that it is.
    which means we should all move to Mudgee and boost the local wine indusry, and the terror threat.
    Last edited by mudman; 12-09-2014 at 7:08pm.
    cc and enjoy

Photography is painting with light

K1, Pentax 18-250mm zoom, Pentax 100mm macro, Sigma 50-500mm, Pentax 28-105mm
    Velbon Sherpa tripod Photoshop CS6

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, we didn't call Hitler a terrorist, or Stalin, or Pol Pot or the Japanes in WWII or the Viet Cong. So what's changed? Perhaps we just have a new word for anyone who is an enemy. Why not just call them "baddies".

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We called the AXIS Nazis, Heinie, Krauts, Nips, Yellow Peril etc. during WWII
    USSR - Commies, Reds, Ruskies, "comrades" (derogatory tone), Bolshies, etc.

At least terrorist is accurate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As are most fighters. "Shock and Awe" could be translated to "Terror". It's just a word that is designed to "baddie".

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Semantics. Just some antics! Some get carried away. It's just an unfortunate stage of the pre-dust/ashes conclusion
    to their state of questionable existence.
    Am(raving somewhat).

PS: I suppose I should answer your Q. Not particularly. There's always the possibility, but one has to appraise the
    probability as sanely as possible. On the "News" tonight they were beating up the level of "increased threat", but what conclusion
    they reached was uncertain (to me, anyway). And then when you consider it, some of the ads on TV are pretty horrifying(ly stupid!!!).

Am(again raving, I suppose).
    Last edited by ameerat42; 12-09-2014 at 8:20pm.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frankly, I don't remember a point in my life where there was more unrest, fighting and radicalism in the world. It's getting to be a more dangerous world full of extremists of all kinds, and it wouldn't surprise me if it migrated to Australia. It only takes one idiot with an explosive device and a "cause", and we'll join right in. I have never understood how killing people achieves anything but more violence.

"If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff.” — Jim Richardson

Formerly : Apollo62
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, not at all. Terrorists do not frighten me simply because fear is what feeds their cause. All throughout the history of the human race, there has always been some group or another attempting to impose their 'will' upon others. A propensity towards violence is part of what makes us human. It always has and it always will. We are territorial by nature (hence we have 'countries' and a sense of 'nationalism') and tribalistic (which is why we support football teams and follow differing religions etc) but there will always be certain people who are willing to go to extremes of violent conduct in an attempt to get their view across. Violence begets violence and so the cycle of violence throughout human history continues. Terrorism is just another chapter and, sadly, is just symptomatic of our modern era. On a positive note, the vast majority of terrorists and Islamist extremists are as dumb as bricks. Anyone who believes that they will be rewarded with virgins in "paradise" for the act of blowing the crap out of themselves and anyone else in their vicinity has got to be seriously deluded. They don't frighten me and I refuse to bow down to terror because that takes away the one thing that they desire the most and that is for people to be frightened and scared. If we give in to terrorism then the terrorists will win.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apollo, what a BLAST!
    Am wishes to thank for this useful post.

Just wait till such as they run out of bullets! They'd be scared SHOT-less!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me, im more concerned about being bashed or robbed by my neighbor/ozzie scum.
    I think the Ice epidemic could cause a lot of violent crime and not just in the big smoke but in the smaller country towns as well.
    Canon 7d efs 15-85mm, Sigma 150-500mm. Nicon coolpix 5400

Ausphotography irregular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ApolloLXII View Post
    A propensity towards violence is part of what makes us human. It always has and it always will.
    And I'd like to see a fraction of the resources and media coverage that is given to preventing and covering "terrorists" devoted to preventing domestic violence. It's more common than is acknowledged and has a greater personal impact on more people in Australia than terrorism.
    Hopefully I'll not be a victim of either.
    Last edited by Mark L; 14-09-2014 at 9:39pm.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grew up in the UK. I grew up in the height of the IRA bombing campaign. My father was in the army. as a 10 year old it was a matter of fact that we checked under our car every time we went anywhere. Two of my friends lost their fathers to terrorist bombs.

When I joined the army we were not allowed in public in uniform. We had to hide who we were because terrorists were ever present.

As far as I am concerned, situation normal, just get on with your lives and have fun - -BUT, be vigilant, just in case. Truth is, if some dickweed wants to strap a bomb to him and blow up next to you - nothing you can do. Soooo quit worrying and go live life

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    And I'd like to see a fraction of the resources and media coverage that is given to preventing and covering "terrorists" devoted to preventing domestic violence. It's more common than is acknowledged and has a greater personal impact on more people in Australia than terrorism.
    Hopefully I'll not be a victim of either.
    I here call after call on the police scanner regarding domestic violence Mark. A lot of suicide threat call outs as well, there was one at 4am this morning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To answer the original question.....No, I don't feel threatened, but then I live in the middle of nowhere and I'm not planning on catching a plane anywhere, anytime soon .
    I sometimes wonder what would happen to "their" aka terrorists cause, if media coverage simply stopped
    To be honest, I think we're more a risk to be taken out by a drunk or drug infused driver.....
    I choose to capture my images with bodies
    I share my love using Canon & Sigma
    ** SUE **

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    And I'd like to see a fraction of the resources and media coverage that is given to preventing and covering "terrorists" devoted to preventing domestic violence.
    Aahh, but that won't happen, more's the pity.

/rant mode on
    Pet peeve. News on television stations is positioned to lead into the evenings ratings and keep people on channel. News programs will advertise and sensationalise the crap out of terrorism because it drags in viewers. The more sensational the beat up, the better. It reports on what's wrong with other cultural groups that we see as different to ourselves. Domestic violence on the other hand points to what's wrong with us, and that's a bit too close to home for people to feel comfortable with. It's easy to see reports of terrorism and say "we're not like that over here", rather than see reports of domestic violence and have to say, "that is us over here".

It doesn't win ratings, and news programs (commercial rather than non commercial I guess) are out to make money first, and report the news second. Naturally enough, you're more likely to see reports and analysis on domestic violence on the ABC news would be my guess.

/rant mode off

edit: Sorry. I answered No, I do not feel threatened by terrorists in Australia.....yet.
    Last edited by Granville; 15-09-2014 at 5:33pm. Reason: I started ranting and got off topic
    Cheers

You don't have to be dead to be a donor.

Education is what remains after that which has been learnt, has been forgotten.

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No fan of the lady, but...

http://www.news.com.au/national/jacq...-1227059004256

JACQUI Lambie wants those in Australia who support sharia law to “pack up their bags and get out of here”.

The Palmer United Party Senator is also calling for them to be kicked off government benefits and not be allowed to vote in this country.

The outspoken Tasmanian, whose recent comments about the threat of a Chinese communist invasion caused a stir, this morning turned her sights on sharia law supporters.

“Anybody that supports Sharia law in Australia should not have the right to vote, should not be given government handouts and should probably pack up their bags and get out of here,” she told reporters in Hobart.

“Anybody supporting or calling for sharia law in Australia can get out. Simple as that.”
    I agreed with her on the basis that those who want any other legal system are by default not supporting our constitution and values.
    Alternate legal frameworks are discriminatory and should never be allowed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Er - has anyone pushed for sharia law here? If not, then why bring it up?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Axford View Post
    Er - has anyone pushed for sharia law here? If not, then why bring it up?
    Yes!

"In its submission to the parliamentary inquiry into the government's new multiculturalism policy, The Australian Federation of Islamic Councils has called for Muslims to be granted "legal pluralism"."

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news...517-1eqm2.html
    The name is Brad ......

OMD EM-1, OMD EM-5MkII, m.Zuiko 12-40mm Pro f2.8, m.Zuiko 40-150mm f2.8 Pro , m.Zuiko 60mm f2.8 Macro, m.Zuiko 17mm f1.8 , Lee Filters

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given that IS ultimately want a global caliphate and there are Aussies actively involved -- I'd say those who want sharia is 100% relevant.
    Especially as there are numbers who want to impose it violently.

We should oppose stupid cr*p like this (sharia) every day

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast