I'm not sure where to put this post so thought under "General Help" would be good , as it is a very general post.

At the start of the year I decided to elevate my interest in photography from one of "holiday snapper" with a point and shoot to a more serious hobby.

Step 1: Buy a better camera and start learning.

I have had my OMD for 9 months now and have learnt a great deal through reading books, magazines and websites ( like this one) . I try to get out and practice every week. I feel I have a good understanding of the basic technical aspects like shutter speed, f-stop and ISO what they are and what happens when you change them. I'm off Auto mode and shooting mainly in Aperture mode . I have been entering the weekly competitions and been lucky enough to win a few.

What's my next step?

I wonder what I should do next? I feel you can only read so many books on aperture/ISO and shutter speed, and the last month or so I have been feeling in a bit of a slump. How does one get to the "Next Level". Looking at some of the wonderful landscapes and seascapes that recently won or placed highly in the competitions (There are a few on this site whose photos make me go WOW! every time they post) I wonder if I will ever get there.

I'm interested to hear from others who have been on this journey as to what they did to get over the hump.

Some thoughts I have had include:

1. Put more photos up for critique , and do more critiquing. ( I can do that this week but should do it more consistently rather than in small bursts when I have time.)

2. Join a camera club. I'm not in one , never been to one , and am interested to hear if others felt that improved their photography. ( I'm in Sydney North so if you know a good one let me know.)

3. Other books, magazines or websites beyond the basic technical skills. Happy to hear of any recommendations.

Any other advice or tips are welcomed. Thanks in advance.