User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Image upload with Windows 8.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Image upload with Windows 8.

Well.. I have upgraded to windows 8.1.... And yes, everything works that little bit quicker.
    But here is the problem.... When using windows 7, I'd plug the camera (D800, D800E & D700)into the USB port, and I'd have it setup so that the images would download directly into Adobe Bridge. This way I could catalogue my images, and add copyright and metadata at the same time.
    With Windows 8 I cannot get the Autoplay feature to point to Bridge, unless I do it by inserting the SD card into the reader where there is no drama. I hate taking the card out, I have had 2 bugger up doing this process.

Anyone got any fixes... I have googled my fingers to the bone trying to work it out,,, And nothing... Even tried a registry edit to no avail...
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dont know if youve already tried this

• Open AutoPlay by clicking the Start button , and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type autoplay, and then click AutoPlay.
    • In the list next to the device or media, click Ask me every time or select a specific action from the list.
    long live

http://www.birdphotographyworkshops.com.au

Canon R7, and a lot of other bits and bobs

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks paul. Tried that trick... The only programs that I get to choose from are: OCR scanner, normal scanner, open file in explorer, download files into my pictures without any choice where to put them. or "Take No Action"

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    seems there is a few people out there not too happy with W8 regarding auto-play functions. most have suggested downloading http://defaultprogramseditor.com

- - - Updated - - -

when you plug in your camera do you not have "camera storage" in autoplay... im not a W8 so im just trying to work around this without actually having it lol

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Geoff.

There should be options for autoplay for your camera(s) and your Pictures too.

That is, the options you've listed in your last reply seem to be the autoplay options for the camera.
    That is, OCR or scanner implies an option to a capture device .. not media or media storage.

Somewhere in the autoplay section should be an option for Pictures or media or something else(ie. not the camera).
    This could be a separate grouping with video or audio files too! .. but separate from the camera/devices section.

Do you get the option to use Bridge if you have an option for pictures or media settings.

My son isn't with me tonight, so I can't physically check a Win 8 PC to find the setting myself. All my PCs are Win7.
    My son's tablet is the only Win8 PC I have regular trouble with .... experience with.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paul.. No. All I get is what is above. Although I have yet tried the D700. I'll try that tonight.

Arthur... "Do you get the option to use Bridge if you have an option for pictures or media settings." Only when I insert the SD card.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, so when the cameras are connected via the USB cable, the issue is that Windows 8 isn't recognising the camera as a mass storage device.
    It's only seen as a image capture device, hence the option for scanning and so on.

I'll try to help later tonight when my son gets home, but try this for now:

With the camera connected via cable, go to the devices and printers area to see the camera device.
    Note Devices and Printers is a Win7 area. Win8 may describe it differently, but the idea is the same. You need to find the camera as a device in the devices area.

Once you do this, double click the camera(lets use the D800 as the example).
    Double clicking should open a settings area, hopefully called the device stage. Basically it looks like Windows Explorer with an area near the top of the page where it shows some of the camera settings(eg. battery life) and should have options to do different things with the camera.

The options could be(but not limited too), things like; Browse Files, Manage Media, Change General Settings and Import Pictures and videos(with an extra option [as a link] to change the program used to Import Pictures and videos)
    if you click on the link to change the program used to import pictures, hopefully this should help.

This depends on how the Stage area is setup, and by default you may see it like that, where each option is an icon rather than a detail list view.

if you see a detail list view for all the options, right click the Import Pictures section and there should be an option in the popup to change the program.

Like I said, if you still have trouble trying this, my son will be home in a couple of hours and I'll check on his Win8 tablet to see how it all works first hand. And I'll get back.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just tried your suggestion. With both the D800, and the D700. Still giving me the same response..... Time to send Microsoft a very informative email..
    Even tested with my Samsung phone, and get the same response
    Last edited by geoffsta; 28-08-2014 at 5:28pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is what I am getting for all cameras and my phone. Frankly I'm thinking of chucking win8 and going back to win7. Even if it cost me almost $300
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by geoffsta; 28-08-2014 at 6:09pm.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL! don't do that .. you got it now.

I think you're looking in the wrong section.

Scroll back up higher in the window and look for the Pictures options.

Just had a quick squizz at my son's tablet and there is an individual option up higher in the window for pictures.

Have you set that option to open with bridge.
    Son is doing some work ATM, but my quick play with it, I set open pictures with Adobe Bridge.

You would set the camera to Take no action and see if that helps.
    Once he's done, I'll check it out for 'ya a bit more closely.

I can't find how to set the devices up to a specific way. Win8 has changed the way you view and set devices now.