Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  16
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC

Yesterday, I spent all day trying out this new consumer zoom-lens on the field with my D800 and D4s (a friend of mine lends it to me for a week) to chase some local birds.

My very first impressions :

AF : definitely much slower than my 200-400/4. Very hard for bird in flight with the D800, but very good on the D4s.
    VC (stabilisation) : quite efficient (about 2-3 stops) but takes long time to operate.
    Sharpness : brilliant on both cameras (very good @600mm and f/8 on the D800).
    Contrast & colour rendition : need more post-processing works to get close to my Nikon lenses.
    Handling : excellent !

A very impressive tele zoom-lens considering its price tag !
    I've already ordered one for myself : it will be my tele travelling and walk-around lens.

#1 : D800, @190mm, 1/1250", f/8, 280 ISO, VC Off, hand held. AF-C & Dynamic 51-Points.

Crop :

- - - Updated - - -

#2 : D800, @550mm, f/8, 1/125", 1800 ISO, hand held, VC On. AF-C & Dynamique 51-Points.

Crop
    Last edited by Sar NOP; 26-08-2014 at 10:23am.

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you very much for this thread Sar.

You have pretty much confirmed what most reviewers have said, however it is nice to have it tested by someone whose work and abilities are known. The feather detail in the RWB crop is very impressive.

This is the text from an email I received yesterday from Maxwells, the distributors. I'm in the process of ordering one too.

The global demand for this lens has exceeded expectations so Tamron have not been able to keep up with the demand. We are due more stock at the end of this month but not enough to cover our backorders you would need to have an order placed with a store at this stage to be in the queue as there is still a wait of a few months before surplus stock is in stores.

Thank you for your patience
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sar - two fantastic shots!

The crop of #1 is a beautiful shot and the detail of the crop in #2 certainly highlights the quality of the lens.

My limited experience with this lens (on a D3200) suggests that dynamic focus is a must for BIF and that f8 (if possible) is the way to go.

I note that you have VC off for #1 - I have read a lot of different opinions as to whether or not to use VC at higher shutter speeds - I think you have settled that question in my mind.

What distance would you estimate these shots to be taken at?

Cheers

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCat View Post
    Sar - two fantastic shots!

The crop of #1 is a beautiful shot and the detail of the crop in #2 certainly highlights the quality of the lens.

My limited experience with this lens (on a D3200) suggests that dynamic focus is a must for BIF and that f8 (if possible) is the way to go.

I note that you have VC off for #1 - I have read a lot of different opinions as to whether or not to use VC at higher shutter speeds - I think you have settled that question in my mind.

What distance would you estimate these shots to be taken at?

Cheers
    With this Tamron, it's better to turn the VC off for BIF.
    For the distance :
    #1 : 10 metres,
    #2 : 3.5 metres.

- - - Updated - - -

With the D4s :

#3 : D4s, @600mm, 1/1250", f/8, 1100 ISO, VC On, hand held. AF-C & Dynamic 21-Points.

Crop

- - - Updated - - -

#4 : D4s, @600mm, 1/800", f/8, 2200 ISO, VC On, hand held. AF-C & Dynamic 21-Points.

Crop

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks fantastic, Sar! Very impressive for such a low cost lens!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice images, looks like a great solid lens.
    Cheers, Troy

D800; AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G; AF-S 50mm 1.8G; SB-910; || 120-300mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM 'S'; APO Teleconverter 2x DG || Phantom 2; H32D Gimbal; 5.8Ghz FPV LCD GS

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wide open @600mm :

#5 : D4s, @600mm, 1/400", f/6.3, 1600 ISO, hand held.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a heads up on the price of this lens.

Ted's Cameras already very competitive price of $1249.95 on this lens has been sweetened with a $100.00 Trade-in offer.

http://www.teds.com.au/tamron-150-600mm-nikon This offer applies to quite a few different lens so it's worth checking them out if you are in the market for a new lens.

I ordered mine last week but coerced them into giving me the $100.00 discount when I said I'd cancel my order and re-order it.

And no, I don't get a kick-back or preferential treatment from Ted's. I've bought two Tamron lens from them because they were not much dearer than the Grey Market dealers and give you the peace of mind of having a fair dinkum manufacturer warranty. I shop hard and don't mind sharing the details of good deals when I come across them.

PS: The lens is still on a Pre Order basis with Ted's as it is with all their authorised dealers, including the big operators in the US.
    Last edited by Cage; 05-09-2014 at 5:55pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for posting these photos. I'd seen reviews and most were positive, but I wasn't 100% sold that the quality would be there. Seeing these shots makes me see that this lens may be an option for me down the track
    D810, D7100 & D3200, Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 VC, Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 VC, Nikkor 45mm PC-E 2.8, Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 II, Tokina 100m 2.8 macro & Tokina 300mm 2.8 Pro

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An updated heads up.

There is a new rumour just released that Sigma is also now making a competitor to this Tammy lens.
    Sigma's lens is reputed to be a lot larger, and an addition to their Sports lens lineup.

It's supposedly about 1kg heavier(3kg vs 2kg) and has a lot more knobs and switches to fiddle with on the lens .. the assumption will be that it'll work with Sigma's USB dock too.

If it's real, it'll probably be announced officially between now and Photokina(~20th Sept)
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    An updated heads up.

There is a new rumour just released that Sigma is also now making a competitor to this Tammy lens.
    Sigma's lens is reputed to be a lot larger, and an addition to their Sports lens lineup.

It's supposedly about 1kg heavier(3kg vs 2kg) and has a lot more knobs and switches to fiddle with on the lens .. the assumption will be that it'll work with Sigma's USB dock too.

If it's real, it'll probably be announced officially between now and Photokina(~20th Sept)
    Looks like a pretty strong rumour.

According to this article by Sigma Rumors, it has been officially announced in Poland. Poland???

http://sigma-rumors.com/2014/09/sigm...ional-details/

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Sigma looks impressive. If it is as good as it looks on papaer, I might have to get one.
    Last edited by Lance B; 06-09-2014 at 3:20pm.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance B View Post
    .... If it is as good as it looks on papaer, .....
    I think even if it's only half as good as Sigma's other recent releases .. it'll be one of those have to have type lenses!

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    I think even if it's only half as good as Sigma's other recent releases .. it'll be one of those have to have type lenses!
    Can't argue with that!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a few of the newer Tamron lens and they are brilliant. This and the macro 90mm was to be our next lens investment.
    These images are brilliant. Tamron owes you a thanks. I must get this lens now.

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The article notes the retail on the sigma will be twice the price but I guess it all comes down to performance.

It would be interesting to see someone get the Tamron 150-600 and Sigma 150-600 out and see how they compare and whether the Sigma optics are worth the price tag. Would also be interested in the Nikon 80-400 comparison despite the different focal length (and heavier price) as a comparison point.

For me, focal speed is the critical part and I'd be prepared to pay extra for that (although not the $12K price tag of the Nikon 400 f/2.8)

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are some great images! I have mixed feeling with this lens, I am see a lot of images that are a bit on the soft side and the sharp ones that I am seeing, seem to be heavily processed with sharpening etc... but for the price it seems a great lens. But I would like to see Tamron and Sigma make some affordable fixed 400mm or 500mm @ f5 and get that crisp sharpness at an affordable cost.
    As for this new Sigma it looks good but heavy, and as a "sports" lens I would like see faster aperture.
    My dream telephoto would be 300-500mm f5 or f4-5.6 $2kish I just feel this mm range and f stop range would keep it not to heavy (but yes still heavy)and produce a better sharpness due to not having such a big mm range. But correct me if Im wrong as I just have a basic understanding of lens mechanics.
    Cheers Glenn
    NIKON D610
    FUJIFILM X-T20

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by glennb View Post
    As for this new Sigma it looks good but heavy, and as a "sports" lens I would like see faster aperture. .....
    A conundrum if ever there was one!

You can have either heavy and fast aperture, or light weight and slower aperture.
    Same with optical quality. You have either bigger and heavier with better IQ all round, or light weight and lesser IQ(for the same lens type of course).

Expect the heavier S version of the Sigma to have better IQ all round, than the lighter weight Tammy and Sigma C(contemporary) version.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No need to heavily post-process the file with the Tammy :

D810, @600mm, f/6.3, handheld. JPEG SOOC.

Crop

- - - Updated - - -

Another one :

D810, @600mm, f/11, handheld. JPEG SOOC.

Crop

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's some pretty impressive detail there Sar for SOOC.

I'm now 4th on Ted's list, maybe later this week. Bring it on !!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast