User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  14

Thread: A little rant.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A little rant.....

OK so thought i would vent a little.... So having a quick flick through my facebook tonight and came across a post from a friend alerting people to a couple of photographic competitions being held in my general area, and also one that is nationwide. Now if you want to enter these things that's all well and good, but i thought for fun i would click on the links and check out there terms and conditions. I'm betting most on here know why i did that, and for sure there it was, way down the list of conditions that old chestnut that "we own the pictures if you submit them. We can do with them what we want without question, and furthermore, we wont give you a cent for any usage." So i made a quick reply that these types of things really give me the shits... explaining why... No drama, original person replies back and some polite banter goes back and forth and that was that. Shortly after i find that said person has deleted my posts....why would you do that ???? All i did was point out the conditions and make people aware of them. If you don't like what i have to say that's fine, but seriously ???? I don't know why this has bothered me so, but it has... honestly i thought i was doing a good thing, apparently some people only want to hear others opinions if they agree with them.
    Rant over.....

Simon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice rant.
    I guess people put too much emphasis on their online identity and the image they want to cultivate for themselves. Must find it difficult to be challenged, even online.
    Flickr
    Call me Chris

Gear: Canon 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f4/L IS USM | Canon 430EX II Speedlite | Hoya Pro1 CPL | Velbon Tripod
    Canon EOS 500D | Canon 18-55mm IS (Kit Lens) | Canon 50-250mm IS (Kit Lens) | Marumi Super DHG CPL

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=snappysi;1251265..... All i did was point out the conditions and make people aware of them. If you don't like what i have to say that's fine, but seriously ???? .....[/QUOTE]

So do it again?
    And again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the guy changed his mind and decided to delete it because he realised this may put people off from the competition - they want the competition to happen and to make money. He probably thought being a nice friendly person answering concerns and such would be good show, but realised that if people knew that they don't get anything out of it in the end, even recognition, that's no business to the guy. But also, even though it's what he wants people to know so he doesn't get in trouble later on if they ask questions, he wants it to happen after the fact - it's typical business really. Make the money, then run.

Like what Mark said, just do it again, and again.

Of course, eventually it may look bad on your end too, so I'd just leave it - move on.
    Last edited by bitsnpieces; 24-08-2014 at 11:35pm.
    David Tran
    Sony a55
    Sony DT 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6
    Now sits as an antique as it no longer focuses properly.

Wishlist: Sony RX10iv (or RX10v if it ever comes out)

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hang on. It's late and I'm confused as to who's who...

You start off "...a friend alerting people...", then make a reply to whom, your friend?
    You get a reply from an "...original person...", and "...said person...". Now I dunno who's who.
    Am()
    CC, Image editing OK.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you guys crack me up... i have let it go now. I made my thoughts known and that is that. Ameerat there is only 2 people in this "conversation", myself and my friend who posted the notice to the competion. Maybe it was a little late for you....

Simon.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If 'friends' on facebook do that to me, I block them and remove them from my friend list. I have 147 friends and just over 400 blocked people on FB. I don't take crap from people on FB at all. Of those blocked people, less than 10 do I know in real life.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snappysi View Post
    ..., apparently some people only want to hear others opinions if they agree with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by snappysi View Post
    you guys crack me up...
    I'm not sure about that, or that.
    (And I now have 20 minutes to delete my opinion. tick, tock)

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Point taken, Simon. I'm glad it's now (apparently) settled. Perhaps it was all a little too early for some.
    I was generally looking for more info as to who was who so that I might make a more informed comment, but who am I to intrude
    upon Facebook fracas

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ameerat, to clear it up a little, a friend of mine on fb, who i know in real life and is a genuine friend, posted a link to 2 photography competitions going at the moment. She linked in to these posts 2 other friends that are into photography to make them aware of the competitions so that they could enter if they wanted to. in short, i saw the posts and pointed out the clauses pertaining to the giving up of your rights to these pictures if you enter and she was it seems taken back by my comments and deleted them. i guess i was shocked and a little disappointed because she is a friend, and not just a fb friend, if that makes sense.
    To add a little, one of the people she linked to these posts was a high school student, and one of the comps was for high school kids in particular. She said that you have to start somewhere, and whilst i don't disagree to a point, i think you have to value your work somewhat, or else who will ??? Is this not in part one of the reasons the arts are in todays society devalued more and more ??? Perhaps it is a case of the people running these comps not being aware of what they are doing, somehow though, i doubt that very much. It is more an opportunity to build up a bank of images for use in years to come under the guise of a "competition". I have a real problem with that....

it is late though, and i may be rambling.....

Simon.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Facebook? What a crock. I have yet to understand why people need/want/have facebook. I have an account which is purely used for its password because it seems almost everything requires you to sign in via facebook. However, that's where it ends - all this "friends" business is about is creating an artificial, synthetic world where people can feel wanted because they have so many "friends".

Give me a real friend any day .......

"If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff.” — Jim Richardson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    agree with bobt

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    does that mean i cant "add" you Bobt?
    long live

http://www.birdphotographyworkshops.com.au

Canon R7, and a lot of other bits and bobs

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paulheath View Post
    does that mean i cant "add" you Bobt?
    Not until they provide a button for grumpy old farts !

I get regular emails saying "Do you know these people?" urging me to add them to my friends list. The other day they asked me if I knew Barack Obama for Christ's sake!!!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobt View Post
    Not until they provide a button for grumpy old farts !

I get regular emails saying "Do you know these people?" urging me to add them to my friends list. The other day they asked me if I knew Barack Obama for Christ's sake!!!

Ah.. The irony!

One of my friends in real life (and on Facebook) has Mr Obama as a friend on Facebook. The irony being that they are friends in real life too.
    Last edited by ricktas; 27-08-2014 at 8:06pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...well do you? haha

Fishy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is nothing wrong with having a rant. We can take it or leave it. (or post a link to it) And nothing wrong with your friend deleting the link either. You can ask her why at a later date, in person.

I have family and about 4-5 real friends on FB. Attended a wedding(niece) and about 6 weeks later on FB there was a photo of my wife and I with a caption "you might know these people in your area". Obviously one of the family had put this photo on their FB page and that was now being broadcast wherever across the internet. I got the photo deleted but I guess it is out there for everyone to see now. PS About the only thing I do on FB is IM my brother in law about the footy. cheers Brian
    Cheers Brian.

Canon 7D Kit lenses EFS 18-55 IS EFS 55-250 IS EF28-90 Canon EF 2xll Extender Sigma DG150-500 OS Speedlight 420EX. 580EX