Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  8

Thread: 'Personal Style'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

'Personal Style'

Hey everyone,

Something I've been thinking quite a lot about recently is the concept of 'Personal Style' in photography. I've found this quite a challenging subject with heaps to think about and lots of different ideas to explore. Many great photographers have a particular 'style' of photography, whether it's a particular subject matter, genre, tendencies in post processing, angles, black and white, over-saturated, whatever the case may be, many photographers have identified the thing that makes them individual and different, it's entirely their style.

I've been looking at myself and looking at my images, and it seems that I tend to dabble in everything, often seeking inspiration from a few members on here, or through some of my favourite photographers to replicate or create similar images to the ones that strike me. However I've started to steer away from that now and focus on my own personal style.

Problem is, I'm having huge dramas defining what my personal style is, so I wanted to create a thread, not for suggestions on a personal style, but how each member has come to define their style. I'm interested to know how you came to find what your particular style is, in the hope that it can stir something up in myself, and obviously for the benefit of all our members.
    Flickr
    Call me Chris

Gear: Canon 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f4/L IS USM | Canon 430EX II Speedlite | Hoya Pro1 CPL | Velbon Tripod
    Canon EOS 500D | Canon 18-55mm IS (Kit Lens) | Canon 50-250mm IS (Kit Lens) | Marumi Super DHG CPL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Chris,

I have also thought about the concept of personal style.
    I have concluded that, unless you are experienced and maybe a little long in the tooth, then your personal style will be a point in time thing. If, like me, you are still learning, exploring, failing, succeeding, then your style will change and mature. And this is good.

Your statement "it seems that I tend to dabble in everything" makes me think that you are still exploring the possibilities, and that you have not established a style. I say, continue exploring, and if one day someone tells you that you have a particular style, then maybe you have found something you enjoy, and there's nothing wrong with that.

However the point of your thread was for people to announce their personal style.
    For me I will say...

Street, up close, humanist. (it was someone else who described it as humanist, and who am I to argue).

But that's just generally, and just for this moment in time.
    “The true mystery of the world is the visible, not the invisible” – Oscar Wilde

My Flickr feed: http://www.flickr.com/photos/100090825@N04/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a very interesting subject, and I agree with bowjac to an extent, but I'd go a step further and say you won't find your style, it'll find you. I believe it'll develop as you develop, and yes whilst learning and copying people is good to start with, it's when you find that thing you are passionate about that you will start to hear comments like, I knew that was your photo because...

I am still very young in the practice of picture making, but find that my passion is drawn towards the creative image, not the one that comes straight out of camera. People like Brooke Shaden and Aaron Nace are particular inspirations for me in being able to composite an image together into something completely different. Though I haven't posted any here (yet), I have been told a couple of times, I thought that was your creation/image. Whilst I can't see a "style" myself, others must to make that comment.

I wouldn't get too worried about your own style, or for that matter, to create one, spend more time thinking about what you are passionate about and start sharing that passion with those around you, and one day, your style will come to you.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking for a personal style is like looking for "the ultimate answer" - no matter what you'll do, the answer will always be "42". Just let it happen, chances are you'll end up with a style that's not yours and you'll struggle.

As for me, I'm always looking for "the story" in my images. I want to tell a story, and my style reflects that: mostly B/W with strong contrasts, well defines lines, forms etc. - all pretty graphical elements. I started combining them with the textual counterpart: haiku's. Pretty similar and they combine well.
    Ciao, Joost

All feedback is highly appreciated!

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    'Personal Style'?
    Dylan has shown us a personal PP style that makes him stand out here. Though in the greater world of landscapes?
    How many photogs do you know because of their style?
    I enjoy taking photos for it's own sake. Sharing with a few friends and here is a bonus.
    I'm not sure style has much to do with the genres you choose to photograph?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just take the photo - yeah, follow certain rules, try to get the photo that looks right, but choices in tone, colour, focus, etc, that's all you, it's your style.

It's like how everyone can take the same picture, but some may like it more brighter, some like it darker, some like more of a blue, some more red, green, etc.

So I think, maybe have a look back of your previous work, see if there's a recurring theme, something that you find yourself to default to a lot - the way you always shoot your portraits, the angles you take, your colour choice, etc, is there a common theme somewhere?

Then, work from there - is that a direction you like? Does it look appealing? Does it define you? If not, what do you need to change?

Then it becomes more of fine tuning, rather than trying to figure out how you are to begin with.

That's just my 2 cents
    David Tran
    Sony a55
    Sony DT 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6
    Now sits as an antique as it no longer focuses properly.

Wishlist: Sony RX10iv (or RX10v if it ever comes out)

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, I guess it's just something that I wish I was able to define. I feel like at this point I should be able to explain and/or define my images. But all good, I appreciate the replies and the feedback.

I wonder if there's anyone who has started a brief on personal discovery...now there's an idea...

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by enVision View Post

I wonder if there's anyone who has started a brief on personal discovery...now there's an idea...
    An idea you'll still need to bring a style to.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn you :P

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the sentiments above - let it happen with time - at the start , you'll want to emulate lots and learn lots from doing this.
    With time you'll find what you like about every bit you've picked up along the way and be left with a subset of tricks that you constantly do for most images.
    Marianne and I embrace the idea of vibrant landscapes and 'hyper-reality' without pushing it so far as to be calling it fantasy landscapes.
    We gained inspiration from many of the pacific northwest photographers (especially Marc Adamus) and Australian photographers such as Kah Kit Yoong - I would hope that with time, our images don't just look like replicas of theirs for any given scene though!
    Last edited by Dylan & Marianne; 27-08-2014 at 2:25pm.
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export