User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: macro lens for D7100

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile macro lens for D7100

I'm looking into purchasing a macro lens for my D7100. I'd like to take closeups of insects and flowers and have read that the Nikkor 40mm is not good for small objects but fine for larger ones like flowers. I'm thinking an upper budget of around $700. I'd like to have image stabilisation and auto focus. I'm currently using Nikkor zoom lenses (18-55VR and 55-200VR) but would be interested in other compatible brands.

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Margaret

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The Sigma 105mm : http://www.eglobaldigitalcameras.com...sm-lenses.html

or the Nikon same same: http://www.eglobaldigitalcameras.com...ed-lenses.html

Or for a bit more, go the Sigma 150mm (which is the one I have/use)
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nikon 105VR is good .. I believe that the Sigma 150mm is better!

I've read(not experienced tho) that the Sigma 105 OS is supposed to be a bit better than the 150mm!

So being cheaper and well within your price range .. Sigma 105 OS lens.

There is also the Tamron 90mm macro lenses, one with VC, the other without. Just over $500, or just over $400 respectively.
    I've used the non VC version, and it impresses a lot too. Never tried the VC version.

I'm sure that the the comments you may have read about the Nikon 40mm not being very good for small objects relates to it's short focal length.
    That is, because it has a short focal length, to get higher magnification shots, you need to get closer. Basiclaly the same principles as normal shooting with long vs short focal lengths.

The problem with 40mm, is that it's so short and you have to get in really close to small objects, you end up shading the object from the light!
    Longer focal lengths allow you more distance from subject to camera/lens ... usually, this is an advantage.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks very much Rick and Arthur for these suggestions. Thanks also Rick for the eglobaldigital web link. The Sigma 105 seems to be the one for me.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    ...The problem with 40mm, is that it's so short and you have to get in really close to small objects, you end up shading the object from the light!
    Longer focal lengths allow you more distance from subject to camera/lens ... usually, this is an advantage...
    ...and there is the perspective difference involved in the different distances you end up being from your subject.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I own the tamron 90mm macro non vc and have been very impressed with the images I have from it. I can't comment on the other lenses available but "if" i could afford it, i'd probably go the sigma 150mm.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Margaret View Post
    Thanks also Rick for the eglobal web link.
    Just be aware that eglobal are Ausphotography site advertisers, however they are located in Hong Kong, so your lens (if you buy from them) will not have an Australian Warranty. Something you should be aware of and consider in your purchasing decisions. Also if you click the highlighted word in this post, and then search the eglobal site and order, AP gets commission, which helps keep this site online and running.
    Last edited by ricktas; 17-08-2014 at 8:06am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have the Tamron 90mm. It has been pretty good for me. I have the VC version. I think it is a very popular lens, due to the cost versus image quality. Does a good job keeping with the big brands. I really should get it out more.
    Cheers, Travis

D750 | Tamron 90 Macro | Tamron 24-70

flickr | 500px