User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Just when you thought we had enough full frame cameras.....

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just when you thought we had enough full frame cameras.....

For the diehard D700 tragics who have not yet been satisfied by the any of the D600/610, D800/E/810, Df, D4/4s offerings ???

http://nikonrumors.com/2014/08/11/th...px/#more-78882

But won't there be wailing & gnashing of teeth amongst the DX faithful if this turns up at Photokina and the D300 replacement doesn't show up .
    Matt
    CC always appreciated

My Website
    A Blog of sorts

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going 'full retard' here

This is the anti-Df. Where the Df was a throwback to the past with the omission of video and deliberate slowed down work flow, this would be the opposite.
    4k video
    All modern controls
    Hybrid VF (or even EVF only with no mirrorbox??)
    On-sensor PDAF for mirror-up shooting with EVF whilst maintaining PDAF with your Nikkor lenses.
    Frame rates as fast as EXPEED 4 can handle without the mirror constraints.

D300 replacement shelved because of this monster!!

Test bed for the D5.
    Made in Sendai, shoving the D810 production to Thailand.

Haha.. now where's my coffee.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another option in the product strategy equation from Nikon could be that this is the D300s replacement!
    (maybe it is Fx .. maybe it's not)
    Being so close to a Photokina opening date, and that NR are usually pretty accurate so close to a release, I suspect that it's most likely Fx anyhow .. but which sensor?

Quote Originally Posted by swifty View Post

Frame rates as fast as EXPEED 4 can handle without the mirror constraints.

If it's the 24Mp sensor currently in the D610, then theoretically, the Expeed4 processor could cave the potential to allow 12fps throughput (based on an average 31Mb raw file size).

Rumours in Canon circles expect a 7D replacement, to which Nikon have no competitor(or real competitor) as the D7100 isn't as fully featured by comparison. At the least it needs a larger buffer.

There has been a feeling in general that Nikon's strategy to fight off smartphone/mirrorless competition is to go Fx across the majority of it's range .. even down to the D5xxx/D3xxx range eventually.
    If this is so, I suspect part of that future strategy would be to swamp them with more pixels too(ie. 54M+ within a couple of generations).
    In a way it makes sense, as the 'general public' love bigger numbers. No matter what you tell them, they still believe that more Mp = better camera.

At the least .. it'll be interesting to see what transpires in a months time.

As for EVF; I reckon, going by Nikon's recent history, unlikely .. at least to be native to the body.
    Maybe they could conjure up an accessory EVF(like the one for the Nikon 1 series) mounted to the hotshoe.
    Lock the mirror up, direct the sensor feed to the EVF instead of the LCD .. bingo! EVF in camera(well sort of), OVF still there for us 'dinosaurs' technically no mirror to flap around incessantly.
    I can't imagine a system like that would be all that difficult for a company like Nikon to create .. keeps those of you who can no longer see through OVFs happy and keeps some of us happy too.
    Of course to be a traditional Nikon accessory, it'd have to cost $999 at least(probably more) and require another small over priced widget to connect properly to the camera and it'll be limited in what it can do(such as only operate on the third Sunday of every second month during a leap year! )

As for where it's made, or where other body production is pushed too, remember that the D800 was made in Japan! .. and those initial batches of D800 focused really well
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha.. the comment regarding Sendai wasn't to imply any quality difference actually. Only that the relatively higher volume production of D810 has shifted to Thailand meaning its freed up capacity in Japan to produce something else, usually reserved for higher end products.
    D5's probably 2 years away and Df's pretty low volume too so something's gotta be in the pipeline in the mean time.
    There's probably less leaks out of Japan compared to products being manufactured overseas too.

- - - Updated - - -

Nikon V3 can do 18MP @ 60 FPS with no AF and 20FPS with AF. Dunno what sized filed they are producing but those are pretty big numbers to be shifting through existing bandwidth.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oooooh goody, something new to get the masses salivating.

It will be interesting to see exactly what this one turns out to be of course and as usual there will be plenty of people that will want one. The only thing that does seem to be missing in the camera line up is a "speed" model (at a lesser price than the D4 ) so this might be the answer to some peoples prayers.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmmm. Interesting....

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha.. the comment regarding Sendai wasn't to imply any quality difference actually. Only that the relatively higher volume production of D810 has shifted to Thailand meaning its freed up capacity in Japan to produce something else, usually reserved for higher end products.
    If it is coming from the Sendai factory it will be interesting to see the price it hits the market at. As you so rightly said Swifty, that factory is associated with the more expensive bodies and when I saw that the D810 was being produced in Thailand my first thoughts were that it was being made there for the dual reason of production capacity and to keep the release price down.

I laugh a lot when people start the country of origin debate with the Nikon bodies. I have yet to see any evidence of one being better than the other when it comes to the end quality of the product.
    Last edited by I @ M; 13-08-2014 at 8:06am.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nikon V3 can do 18MP @ 60 FPS with no AF and 20FPS with AF. Dunno what sized filed they are producing but those are pretty big numbers to be shifting through existing bandwidth.
    In general I've noticed that larger sensors seem to generate a wee bit more data volume for a given pixel count.

as an example, a similarly shot scene taken with a 24Mp D7100, and a 24Mp D610 will see the D610's files a smidge larger than the D7100 file.
    They're both close to 30Mb's each, but the D610 can sometimes be as much as 1Mb larger .. although usually about 0.5Mb larger, as an average.
    I don't think this can be explained with the D610's extra 16x16(ie. 256) pixels tho.
    It's more likely due to compression algorithms.

For the same scene, the V3's 18Mp raw file generates about 18Mb's(ish) .. yet the D7000(16Mp) raw files are a bit over 20Mb's in size .. again this is probably best explained with a higher compression ratio and or lower bit depth in the V3 .... maybe 10 or 12bits for the V3 vs 14bit for the D7000.

Dunno!

Anyhow, either way you look at it, the processing power available in the V3 is still mightily impressive. The only gotch'a tho is that the buffer on the V3 is small so you can shoot for as long at high frame rates.

Going by your comments re production shifting of the D810 then it's more likely this new camera could be a D710 then. Although, I'd think that costs are the primary reason for this move.
    D810 is in effect a D800 with less fiddly buttons to manufacture .. removal of the AA filter is probably a simplification of the manufacturing process(ie. one step less to go wrong! )
    After over 2 years in production now .. it kind'a makes sense to biuld it a cheaper to run and still capable facility.
    Put the new kid in town on the uber line to begin with .... making sure the focus system alignment is adjustment process is closer to home when it goes belly up .. also making sure that shutter system is kept under the watchful eye's of the head honcho engineers .. and you don't end up with a D8600!
    Wouldn't it be funny if they called it something like that .... D8600! An amalgamation of two monumental balls ups

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All just a bit of speculation on my part. Of course I have no idea where this new rumoured FX camera will be made but if it turns out to be Thailand, then you gotta wonder whether Nikon has something else up their sleeves. Can't imagine Sendai only outputting the D4s and Df until the D5 production ramps up.

But if it turns out to be made in Japan, I'd speculate this is more for secrecy reasons more than anything else, especially if they are debuting any new tech.
    In this globalised world, supply chain leaks are notorious even for companies like Apple who are known for their secrecy. So it'd make sense for production to stay at their home factory if Nikon wanted to surprise us with anything.

But the reasons could be something that we've all overlooked. I don't know if the power grid in Japan is still affected in the aftermath of the on-going Fukushima disaster which might play havoc on production.

D750 Shines
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too will look forward to expeed 4 along with 51Pts AF ,as for mp 24mp is just about right as some of the features to Nikon action range FF cameras

cheers

Nikon D750,D500,Z6,Coolpix P7700
    Nikkor 300mm f/4E PF ED VR, Nikkor 16-35mm f/4 VR, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Tokina 100mm f/2.8, Tamron 60mm f/2 , Tamron SP 24-70mm f2.8 VC Di, Nikon Z 24-70mm f/4
    FTZ adapator
    Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't been looking at camera gear since I got my D700, but a friend was asking me about Nikon gear, so I've just spent some time drooling over the D810. So much gear, so little bank balance sigh
    cheers

Steve

Don't take life too seriously - its only temporary

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the fact that Nikon keep bringing out new cameras. They might not suit all, but there are enough choices. Canon seem to be really slow to update or improve on their cameras especially the mid to high end users. Sure the D7 or D5MKIII are great cameras, but there should of been an upgrade to both of these by now. I think any longer than 2 years is too long to wait for an updated version.

I keep reading about how some Canon professional photographers are going to Nikon now after the D810 has come out. If Canon lifted their game and continually updated their cameras I'm sure this wouldn't happen as they would know it's not long before an update comes out, but I am hearing it often that Canon users are wondering when they can get an updated version. The D7 is 5 years old now and it's a great camera, but technology has come a long way in that time and Canon users are left wondering do they keep waiting or do they jump over to a Nikon as their cameras get ahead of Canon.
    D810, D7100 & D3200, Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 VC, Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 VC, Nikkor 45mm PC-E 2.8, Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 II, Tokina 100m 2.8 macro & Tokina 300mm 2.8 Pro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to agree with some here. Also after being a patriotic canon user for most time. I was weighting up to grab another 5dIII (my last one was stolen) or Nikon d800. Then there was a rumor about the 810 so I waited. I looked at the specs and what it offered.
    As it was a business decision and I would have to also invest in all new lenses it would have to be a really good camera to make me change brands.

So purchasing a D810 was the best investment I have made for a long while. I now shoot with a Nikon.