Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  10

Thread: Nikon Press Art Exhibition

Ausphotography Regular Jeanette's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nikon Press Art Exhibition

I am not sure if this is the right spot for the post and apologies if not but I had to share

I travelled 90km to the city today to see the Nikon- Walkley Press Photography Exhibition at Festival Theatre today

I found myself being the only person in the room to start with which was eerie among such thought provoking, challenging, emotional heart wrenching photos. I felt myself welling up as I read the stories behind some of them.
    from poverty, wars, Emergency departments dealing with the ICE war (winning photo of many staff I think 9 holding a person down on a psychosis session), hardship live changing photos, including the last swing that Phillip Hughes too before his death, to a stunning portrait of a lady with a tattooed body after a double mastectomy.

I was in awe of such stunning photography that could stir up so much emotion.

think i might be going to more exhibitions

Constructive Critique and editing of my images is welcome and appreciated.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Are these some of the photos you were looking at Jeanette? ... http://walkleys.issimo.io/a/311/walk...urnalism-nikon

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette View Post
    .... I felt myself welling up as I read the stories behind some of them.
    Of cause the story can be important, but as photogs do we need to get that story with the photo alone, or add words to explain the photo?
    Yes of cause this is photojournalism and the photos would normally be accompanied by a story. Wonder if the better photojournalism doesn't require words? Just a headline maybe?

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely Mark. A photo should be all u need. And with most pf these no story was required.. however to have more information after looking just increased the impact more. More out of curiosity..
    The winning one of the ED room and the the man in an ICE induced psychosis state being held down. You don't need explanation. But the lady who is topless but a tattooed bodice around her...the story of her double mastectomy/pregnancy life saving needs just adds more.
    The Lindt seige photo is technically not the best I've seen...noise and grainy parts, but the emotion is amazing...

Just really pleased i saw it....motivating me..

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of amazing and evocative images. They look good on the computer screen but would have so much more impact seeing them large and up close. You're lucky you live close enough to the capital to get to see them.
    Glenda

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lplates View Post
    Lots of amazing and evocative images. They look good on the computer screen but would have so much more impact seeing them large and up close. You're lucky you live close enough to the capital to get to see them.
    Thank you Lplates.....im in the country but only 90kms from the city....but well worth the effort.......cough just opportune to go in the camera shop again tee hee

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    Are these some of the photos you were looking at Jeanette? ... http://walkleys.issimo.io/a/311/walk...urnalism-nikon

Of cause the story can be important, but as photogs do we need to get that story with the photo alone, or add words to explain the photo?
    Yes of cause this is photojournalism and the photos would normally be accompanied by a story. Wonder if the better photojournalism doesn't require words? Just a headline maybe?
    I think that the story is important, Mark, particularly with anything that is documentary or photojournalism. Sometimes we see words with art photography that may seem to be pretentious garbage, but that isn't usually the case with documentary. If you ever sell to magazines or online articles, they will always want a story with the photo.
    Last edited by Steve Axford; 11-01-2016 at 10:50am.