Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  17
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FEEDBACK PLEASE : Photo of the Week : LANDSCAPES

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

FEEDBACK PLEASE : Photo of the Week : LANDSCAPES

The current photo of the week competition theme is Landscapes. We specifically asked that any Seascapes (sea, lakes, river, dams etc) not be entered into this competition as we are running a sea (water)scapes competition in the near future.

It would appear that most who have entered so far have either not read that requirement or ignored it, thus most entries so far have been disqualified.

Now, do we stick to this or do we un-disqualify them and let the voting decide the winner, based on members voting with consideration to the theme?

I would like to know what members think. Leave them disqualified, or un-disqualify them. If you have had an entry disqualified (you would have received a personal message) you are free to comment also, but do not divulge anything about your entry, or that you were disqualified, as it could breach the anonymity aspect of entries/entrants.

Looking forward to see what members think.
    Last edited by ricktas; 06-08-2014 at 11:01am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rick. Maybe this'll help me learn about competitions...

So I have been looking to see where it is stated and cannot find it - searched through various pages of competitions forum.
    Can you please point it out. I do not want to comment until I have read it.
    Ta, Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be happy for those that meet the specific requirements to stay in this category and the disquals are ok to be pulled, sometimes we are all in a rush and do not take note of the specifics, maybe amending the titles of comps could be considered, not sure of the feasability of that :/

Cheers
    Steph
    Last edited by pfft; 06-08-2014 at 11:21am.
    Steph

D800E, Nikkor 14-24 F2.8, Nikkor AF-D 50mm F1.4, Samyang 24mm F1.4

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Un DQ them and let the members judge. In camera club comps if someone enters what is out of category we low score accordingly
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Ausphotography Regular bcys1961's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only saw the post about the competition as it came up on the activity log when I was logged on and monitoring it , but otherwise I would not have seen it , so maybe others did not see it as well .

If you want to make it as specific as "landscape" and then have a separate comp for "Seascape" I would DQ them , because if you leave it to voters they will ignore the brief again. If they entered a seascape they will vote equally for seascapes as landscapes. I'm in favour of separate comps for each to provide aa bit more challenge and variety.

Also where does it end? You also said no lakes, river waterways etc. so I think a few of the entries still standing should be DQ by this criteria , if you have a look.

Finally , is an urban landscape considered landscape or does it have to be a non-urban landscape ?
    The name is Brad ......

OMD EM-1, OMD EM-5MkII, m.Zuiko 12-40mm Pro f2.8, m.Zuiko 40-150mm f2.8 Pro , m.Zuiko 60mm f2.8 Macro, m.Zuiko 17mm f1.8 , Lee Filters

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bcys1961 View Post

Finally , is an urban landscape considered landscape or does it have to be a non-urban landscape ?
    Up to you...do you think it would get voted as landscape highly?

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree about disqualifying those entries with water in them, Rules are rules.
    My 52/2011 Challenge

I shoot with Canon And Olympus Cameras

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ta Rick.
    It seems clear enough. The two Intermediate entries look to be DQ material according to the instructions.
    Am.

Ausphotography Regular bcys1961's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Ta Rick.
    It seems clear enough. The two Intermediate entries look to be DQ material according to the instructions.
    Am.
    Agreed!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, I would DQ them, unfortunately it seems that when voting comes around our members fail to take into account the theme of the comp first and then the quality of the image, just simply voting on the quality of the image
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Antipod
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would not DQ them - it would DQ everything that is not literally a "LANDscape" according to your view. What constitutes a "landscape"? For example: an image with water on it that shows land on the other side of the pond. Is that not a landscape?

In my view, a photo should convey an idea (hey, where did I hear that before? ). If someone can convey the idea of a landscape without actually picturing hills, trees and whatnot, it can still be a winner in my book. It would be quite a feat, but hey, at least it would be creative (as opposed to most landscape photography that seems to be no more than a "see it, shoot it, aw it" approach).

Disqualification based on contents kills creativity and it sets a precedence on future competitions. Just make sure everyone knows the category when judging, stress the idea that it should be a landscape and let the jury mark them down.
    Last edited by jev; 06-08-2014 at 3:29pm.
    Ciao, Joost

All feedback is highly appreciated!

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd normally agree, Joost, but in this case the comp was specifically restricted.
    It's one of those things where you can say, "Well, let's include this and that even though...", and then
    what if an entry won which had significant amounts of water in it? How would a landscape entrant feel
    who had followed the rule and only just lost out?
    Am.

Antipod
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Example (I do not enter in the competition and certainly not with this greyish uninteresting snapshot), is the following a seascape or a landscape? Most of it is sea and the competition explicitly said "keep your water featuring photos for the upcoming competition."
    IMAG0248.jpg
    Or this one:
    _MG_6324.JPG
    Last edited by jev; 06-08-2014 at 3:50pm.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    At this time I am leaning towards re-instating all disqualified entries and letting the voting work it out. But I want to hear from other members as well, before a final decision is made on this.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As an example of how I'd vote on those two images, I'd rate them lower than an equivalent with predominantly more land and less water(sea/lake/river/waterfall/etc).

If you cropped the top one to include land in the foreground(even with just a small amount of water remaining), I'd rate it higher ... as land is the prominent subject in the scene.

I don't think the rules specifically ban water on the whole, and I've interpreted them to allow some water. But the ratio of land vs water in the image should be respectfully higher towards land for a better score.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon} -> 50/1.2 : 500/8(CPU'd) : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8ais : 105mm f/1.8ais : 24mm/2ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A LANDscape is a LANDscape is a LANDscape.

Courtesy of Oxford Dictionary:
    All the visible features of an area of land, often considered in terms of their aesthetic appeal.
    IMHO a small dam or waterhole, that is not a prominent feature, should not disqualify an entry. But we are walking a very thin line here as to deciding what proportion of water in the overall scene becomes a 'prominent feature'.
    Cheers
    Kev

D800 & GAS

Antipod
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    As an example of how I'd vote on those two images, I'd rate them lower than an equivalent with predominantly more land and less water(sea/lake/river/waterfall/etc).
    You should rate them lower if you feel there should be more land in it, sure. But is it reason to DQ? And would you do the opposite for the same images in a seascape competition? A picture with an island in the sea might be a much more compelling image than just another sunset over just water.

Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post
    we are walking a very thin line here as to deciding what proportion of water in the overall scene becomes a 'prominent feature'.
    Exactly my point*. When does a landscape become a seascape? We could post pictures with varying amounts of sea in it all day long without ever getting to a decisive definition of "landscape" vs. "seascape". That alone would be my #1 reason not to DQ in advance.

Further more, sea (or water) is a rather arbitrary choice to DQ on. A similar case could be made for sky, for clouds. Imagine an image where 90% of the picture is negative space in the form of a blue sky - such a thing could still be a compelling landscape but just 10% is "land".

*): I intentionally clipped of the part of your sentence before "but"
    Last edited by jev; 06-08-2014 at 5:10pm.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have restored all entries to valid

It will be up to the voting members to decide if each entry meets the theme, when they vote.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only just saw this thread, but agree with your approach ricktas. For example, the image shown in the composition tool is to me a definite landscape, no way that can be a seascape, even though most of the image has water in it. But putting this image up against a seascape is like judging calk and cheese.

I'm liking the approach of this site to ask for member input, many other sites, would just remove them with no notice. Kudos to the staff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast