Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Problem mounting petal type lens hood on my new Sigma lens

Former Username : Wetpixels
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problem mounting petal type lens hood on my new Sigma lens

This problem something simple I am doing wrong, but when I put on the petal-type lens hood (that came with the lens), it doesn't rotate fully to the proper position. The little arrow under the Sigma name does not align with the dot on the lens, and you can see that the large petals are not aligned vertically (close but not quite).

I am not game to force it, but maybe it should click into the final position. There is no resistance as I slide it around and I get the feeling something should click or tighten to prevent it moving and even coming off if it rotates back far enough.
    80D, 600D, EFS 60mm Macro, Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Lens - Contemporary, Sigma 18-250mm 1:3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM lens, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS STM lens, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS II lens, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II lens, Yongnuo YN500EX flash, Velbon Sherpa 5370D tripod, PH-157Q head, Klika W1003 monopod, AF Macro Extension tubes, LED Ringflash Software: Darktable, Gimp, DigiKam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 70-200 sigma gets dust & grime built up in the track over time. I clean with a tooth pick covered with chux (a cotton bud would also do) then spray in a little CRC silicon to free up the movement. and repeat as necessary when you feel the movement gets stiff. There should be a small bump in the track on the lens (only one of the 2 tracks on mine) and a corresponding indentation on the lens hood. If yours is the same the movement click and hold should all be done with minimum resistance. Try lubrication first, it should not need force
    Cheers Kieran

Tamron 90 macro, Sigma 70-200 f2.8, Tokina 11-16 f2.8, Cannon 50 f1.8, Cannon 18-55. Cannon 550D

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I say "force it".
    My Tammy 24-70/2.8 has the same effect.
    Hood goes on ok, rotates up to a point ok, and then needs an order of magnitude more force to complete the locking click.
    I'm assuming it's designed this way for future wear and tear.
    My Sigma 50/1.4 also is a bit harder to click into the locked position, but not as stiff as the Tammy.

OTOH, you could have a 6 yo Nikon 105VR lens where the lens hood almost rotates itself off and wants to run away from home .. it's so loose and easy for it to fall off.
    (I'll take the harder to lock version of the lens hood any day).

But you're right. It should have a final click into the locked position but a free and easy rotating feel up to this point.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Former Username : Wetpixels
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    The 70-200 sigma gets dust & grime built up in the track over time. I clean with a tooth pick covered with chux (a cotton bud would also do) then spray in a little CRC silicon to free up the movement. and repeat as necessary when you feel the movement gets stiff. There should be a small bump in the track on the lens (only one of the 2 tracks on mine) and a corresponding indentation on the lens hood. If yours is the same the movement click and hold should all be done with minimum resistance. Try lubrication first, it should not need force
    This one is new, so it's clean. I took another look, and yes there is a bump in one of the tracks, the one underneath, so that's why I missed it.

I guess it was just tight, being new, so I applied a little more force, and it popped into place. Thanks for the help!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    I say "force it".
    My Tammy 24-70/2.8 has the same effect.
    Hood goes on ok, rotates up to a point ok, and then needs an order of magnitude more force to complete the locking click.
    I'm assuming it's designed this way for future wear and tear.
    My Sigma 50/1.4 also is a bit harder to click into the locked position, but not as stiff as the Tammy.

OTOH, you could have a 6 yo Nikon 105VR lens where the lens hood almost rotates itself off and wants to run away from home .. it's so loose and easy for it to fall off.
    (I'll take the harder to lock version of the lens hood any day).

But you're right. It should have a final click into the locked position but a free and easy rotating feel up to this point.

Yes, as per the reply I just posted, a little (a fair bit actually) more force, and it popped into place. Thanks.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wetpixels View Post

Yes, as per the reply I just posted, a little (a fair bit actually) more force, and it popped into place. Thanks.
    You'll probably find that over time as you mount/unmount it a few times it gets a bit easier(actually you may not notice it as such, but one day it may just dawn on you that it doesn't require as much force as it used too, or something).

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CC, Image editing OK.